-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Haven't carried a pistol while hunt in years.
I relie on my rifle , much more accurate
and powerful. Just get really proficient
with your rifle.
Bring a nice steak or two with the saved weight.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Oh, okay Art, that makes since. I've always been retentive about cleaning so that wouldn't be an issue for me.

Rost, I just bought some of those lead wipes patches recently. If I remember right they're made by Klean Bore.

I have seen actual pits in chambers from gas jetting.

Interesting, I would have thought yes at the barrel cylinder gap but never in the chamber area. I"ve never seen it in rifle chambers either.

But then agian I"ve never had a rifle so chambered.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
rost495,

Is this what you're thinking of?

http://www.rusteprufe.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What kind of sticky situation? I've shot a billion or two .38 specials through various .357s with nary a problem. Am I missing something?

I have seen rough chambers with rings at 38Spl length that made ejection a bit stiff with 357. Some cleaned up easily; some did not.

Any relationship to CM or SS?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by FallGuy
rost495,

Similar container but it wiped lead off. Would wipe the film off a shiny nickel python with one wipe... I was amazed by it.

I MIGHT find it back one of these decades if I don't die first. No clue where it went to, or maybe it quit finally and I tossed it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
What kind of sticky situation? I've shot a billion or two .38 specials through various .357s with nary a problem. Am I missing something?

I have seen rough chambers with rings at 38Spl length that made ejection a bit stiff with 357. Some cleaned up easily; some did not.

Wonder if cylinder coated with UBC would negate that also possibly?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

I have not seen it in a SS gun but hesitate to say it cannot happen.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

Wasn't my Python, Art.

I think I might have put 15-20 rounds (357) through it in as many years. Total, not annually.

And ya, I refer to it as the tonsil-tickler.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Do bears have tonsils????

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ask Gus

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
This thread got weird when las brought up his tonsil tickler.

Anyway... I generally don't carry a pistol. Last few years my sheep hunting partner has been carrying my 329PD. I've become convinced that I should be carrying it, so will need to sweet talk it away from him. In a chest pack (HPG kit bag) it is hardly noticeable weight, and my rifle is tied to my pack often enough that alternate means of making loud noises is wanted.

Actually drew it this year, as I was up a creek without the rifle, and stumbled into a sow that was pretty sure she had the right of way. I was downwind, and we traded places in the river bottom until she could get a whiff of me. When she did, she did a rather impressive burnout, bowled over a pretty good sized alder, and was gone. Glad that was the path she chose. Wish I had helmet cam footage.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rost495
rost495,

Similar container but it wiped lead off. Would wipe the film off a shiny nickel python with one wipe... I was amazed by it.

I MIGHT find it back one of these decades if I don't die first. No clue where it went to, or maybe it quit finally and I tossed it.

I think this is what you are looking for:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/647492/midwayusa-rust-and-lead-remover-gun-cleaning-cloth

If I recall correctly Birchwood-Casey used to have them.

One unerring mark of the love of the truth is not entertaining any proposition with greater assurance than the proofs it is built upon will warrant. John Locke, 1690
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VernAK
I never carry a handgun when hunting with a RELIABLE rifle.
Spend some money to ensure your rifle feeds/functions/fires and fits reliably.

The large handguns of today can be another 5 pounds hanging on my old carcass.

Yup! The extra weight of a handgun is foolish IMO&E.

^ this

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Not my Python, Art. I've never put a .38 thru it. and probably only 20 rounds of 357 M in the last 15 years.

I believe in tonsillectomies if the chit hits the fan, at least with that handgun. smile

Do bear have tonsils?

Last edited by las; 01/27/17.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If you do bring a sidearm don't let it lull you into a false sense of security. Always bring your rifle with you (even if it's a 6.5 wiz bang). Lots of people get tempted to leave the rifle in camp because they have a handgun, especially when packing meat. I'd way rather have a .243 than the biggest handgun they make. Anybody wanna do the math for me?

Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by helidriver72
If you do bring a sidearm don't let it lull you into a false sense of security. Always bring your rifle with you (even if it's a 6.5 wiz bang). Lots of people get tempted to leave the rifle in camp because they have a handgun, especially when packing meat. I'd way rather have a .243 than the biggest handgun they make. Anybody wanna do the math for me?

You are wrong! I'd rather have my big bore revolver than even a 338 win. BTDT you have no idea how effective they are on game.

Math will not get it done, but a big heavy bullet from a big bore revolver will.

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wswolf
Originally Posted by rost495
rost495,

I think this is what you are looking for:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/647492/midwayusa-rust-and-lead-remover-gun-cleaning-cloth

If I recall correctly Birchwood-Casey used to have them.

Cool, not aware of that. Might have to try a few. Goign to go look if there are reviews now.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Looks like comments say not as good as something called lead away in the 80s, but worth trying I think maybe.

Though was a comment that flitz on a cloth or probably the simichrome I have laying right here same...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by helidriver72
You are wrong! I'd rather have my big bore revolver than even a 338 win. BTDT you have no idea how effective they are on game.
Math will not get it done, but a big heavy bullet from a big bore revolver will.

[Linked Image]

The title of the thread is bear defense, not handgun hunting. Much respect on your handgun kills. But I bet if you needed to stop an aggressive bear at 20 feet you'd be reaching for the .338....

Last edited by helidriver72; 01/27/17.

Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (204guy, 16gage, 1234, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,095
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.