Print Thread
Hop To
L
las Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Damned climate change fudge-up the schedule this year.

But patience is virtue. So they tell me.

The sea ice formed a couple weeks late, back in Oct/Nov. I was in Hawaii when it did set up enough for the caribou could cross about 3 weeks later than normal, and they came through.

I was conflicted..... smile

Then there were a couple week-ends of trouble shooting the Bravo's non-compliance.

Turned out it is smarter than I am. I hate when that happens. But I'm getting chicken with age. If it ain't working right, I stays home! It's humming now.

Then weeks of weather/ wind/cold/ dark interim. Chit just wasn't right for me to go out. At least not beyond walk-home distance, solo.

Got off work 2:45 tonight, out of town 3:15. Running bare- bones. No real survival gear- I ain't going that far - I only have 3 hours of daylight. No sled, two day packs, with bare-bones stuff. . Just in case I do find caribou....Clear skies, 20 degrees, 11 mph E wind. Pretty near the gorgeous level!

4 miles down the Beach road to the Alice? Dome, hang a left another mile to/ thru the windmills site. A mile or so past that down the Peninsula (whatever the hell that direction is!) I topped a hill and glassed. Caribou HO! 2 of them- about 2 miles away. Looked like bulls. Ain't legal till the first. Stupid Regs! But misery and 'bou love company. Go take a look.

Helluva nice snow-machine stalk. Last half mile I was able to stay just below the top contour of a stream bed above the bottom brush, eliminating visibility, and reducing noise. Didn't hurt that the wind was directly in my favor, and I just idled + along, keeping machine noise as low as possible.

I could get used to this road hunting... smile

Stopped machine, got out the Bog-Pod tripod shooting rest, walked 30 yards up contour, and there they were.

Yep, bulls. No horns, dammit. They come legal on the first again, but I like watching critters. Ranged em, anyway. 347 yards. 10 or so minutes later I chanced to look over my shoulder, across the brushy creek bed. Critter coming out of the brush. Cow! (antlers!). Ranged. Damned if she wasn't 347 yards ! The rifle is zeroed at
300, and groups right at 1 inch at that range. With a good solid rest.

Shifted BOG. Made the worst shot of my life. While settling the rifle in the
BOG rest , I inadvertently triggered the thing with my gloved hands before ready/intended. No excuse- it was 20 degrees F. for God's sake. Shouldn't have had the finger on the trigger! Shot her right through the hams.

She wasn't going anywhere, and obviously crippled, so I waited for her to stand up again ( I knew where the cross-hairs were when I fired!) and the presentation, then finished her properly.

I hate it when chit happens! That pecker-shot several years back was kinda funny- this was just disgusting.

Dressed her out, loaded the rib cage in the basket (not towing a sled ), stuffed the hinds inside, fronts on the side, wrapped in tarp and we were off.

Bravo ain't happy with a passenger on back, but I was home by 6:40, just after dark.

Got's meat in the freezer! Finally. Store bought chicken and pork don't count.

More better with a cleaner kill....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice little piece, thanks for putting it up, you've started a thousand day dreams in the lower 48.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Great story. Be nice to visit you sometime-during shooting season. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Glad you got meat and got home safe. No matter how good we are or try to be ol'Murphy shows up.

It's the Darwin guy I try and stay clear of. 😄

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrads on Makeing Meat! always a good feeling!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,456
Posts18,471,117
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.