Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
A forum of my people!

Only way to get anything decent in LH is to somewhat build it and that's what I did.

In a world so full a wiz bang mags and itty - bitty bullets, I felt compelled to build a real hunting rifle in .35 cal.

Its a 358 win just for me.

[Linked Image]

Here's the details - Rem LH 700 SA squared up fitted to a Douglas Premium #3 1 - 12 twist barrel. Its resting in an HS Precision stock with an HS Precision bottom metal and magazine which allows for seating bullets further out! On top she's got a VX3i Leupold 3.5x10x40 CDS and all the metal has been Cerakoted Matte Black. Its also got a custom trigger. I love it. Its a hunting rifle!

Its accurate as well it was doing 1" at 100 with factory stuff I had found during the barrel break in.

Cheers

Meat Hunters Do It For Dinner.
GB1

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Looks well thought out and put together. That short barrel looks about right, if where you hunt resembles the photo background.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like it!

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Looks good !

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I personally would have gone with a 2.5-8x36 or 6x36 for optics, but beyond that I like everything about it.

Good job.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by utah708
Looks well thought out and put together. That short barrel looks about right, if where you hunt resembles the photo background.

It's finished right at 21". Yes more and more I'm finding myself in a mix of terrain. I kinda wanted a multi purpose rifle that I could use from Maine to Montana and I was bored with my 30-06 lol.

I've never taken a shot over 130 yards on big game. I imagine that will change someday, but I can only practice out to about 300 - 400 yards or so around home.

I pondered the LR thing in a Light 6.5 cal or 7mm cal for about 1 month and decided I wanted to do my own thing. Something different. I wrestled back and forth with the 338 fed or 358 win some as well. I m happy with my choice as I m a big .35 cal fan!

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
I personally would have gone with a 2.5-8x36 or 6x36 for optics, but beyond that I like everything about it.

Good job.

I hear ya on that one. I have a 2.5x8x36 on an 06 I love, but I wanted something that came stock with the CDS this was it at the time with out sending it back to leupold. I m actually finding a bit of extra mag is helping me some. I do love the 6x36, but I m over the fixed power thing as of right now.

Glad you like it!

Last edited by marshland_max; 01/28/17.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks Everyone! I do love it. I m trying to collect as much reloading data as possible so I can build an "all rounder"

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Very nice rifle and good choice selecting a 35 caliber. One of my oldest friends and a great mentor was a huge fan of the 358 Winchester. He shot a pre 64 model 70 Featherweight in 358 and racked up a lot of elk over his long career. He shot 250 grain Speers for deer and elk. I've not seen the Speers available recently.

I shoot 250 grain Partitions in my 35 Whelen and have since I got the rifle. I would be inclined to go with the same bullet in the 358.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm very happy with my lefty Rem 700 35 Whelen but man I really dig that little 358. Very nicely put together. Any thoughts yet about what loads you are going to run?

Gerry.
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by mart
Very nice rifle and good choice selecting a 35 caliber. One of my oldest friends and a great mentor was a huge fan of the 358 Winchester. He shot a pre 64 model 70 Featherweight in 358 and racked up a lot of elk over his long career. He shot 250 grain Speers for deer and elk. I've not seen the Speers available recently.

I shoot 250 grain Partitions in my 35 Whelen and have since I got the rifle. I would be inclined to go with the same bullet in the 358.

THANKS!

Nice, yeah at some point I will have to explore those 250's

Originally Posted by gerrygoat
I'm very happy with my lefty Rem 700 35 Whelen but man I really dig that little 358. Very nicely put together. Any thoughts yet about what loads you are going to run?

THANKS!

The Whelen was my first .35 cal. I shot my first buck with it in fact. Foolishly I sold it in college. Then I had a 5 year affair with a Marlin in 35 rem. I loved it maybe has accounted for the most deer I've ever shot with one rifle. I still have it. I always felt the 35 rem to be quite balanced, but it just fell short at 250-300 yards and is what ultimately led me to the 358 Win.

Now as for loads, I've asked for suggestions on the reloading page. I'm leaning towards the Speer 220 as the rifle has show a preference for that bullet profile already. It Loves the 180 Speer FNSP at 2600 fps it will easily do an inch or better.

My top choices right now are Both Speer Bullets, 200 grain Hornady Spire Point. I m looking at the TTSX and also the 200 grain Nosler Accubond.

I'm liking the 220 a lot.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Welcome Max and we're glad you found us. We lefties need to hang together or we'll all hang separately.
Handsome rifle and in a thumper of a caliber. I have a 338 Federal but haven't spent much time behind it yet.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Welcome Max and we're glad you found us. We lefties need to hang together or we'll all hang separately.
Handsome rifle and in a thumper of a caliber. I have a 338 Federal but haven't spent much time behind it yet.

Hey Thanks!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really liked the 180 ttsx in my whelen. Does a number on white tails and squealers.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice rifle and great round. I had a BLR and it was more accurate than it should have been and loved TAC and H322 with 200 grain Hornady interlock or FTX bullets. We're talking an inch at 200yds on many days! Mine was shooting 2500 fps or less but that was plenty at both ends.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Max-

What do you think of your HS stock? Anything not to like? Cheek weld adequate?

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Max-

What do you think of your HS stock? Anything not to like? Cheek weld adequate?

I actually like it a lot. They are absolutely awesome people to work with. I also like the bottom metal a lot. It adds a lot of weight about half a pound, but its bomb proof. The grip is fairly narrow so you can get a nice purchase on it and the forearm is skinny but not to skinny. With the textured finish on the stock its very grippe and the cheek weld is fine for me. The stock is also good enough you don't have to mess with extra bedding and everything else. I m a big fan of HS and their customer service is fantastic.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by marshland_max

THANKS!

The Whelen was my first .35 cal. I shot my first buck with it in fact. Foolishly I sold it in college. Then I had a 5 year affair with a Marlin in 35 rem. I loved it maybe has accounted for the most deer I've ever shot with one rifle. I still have it. I always felt the 35 rem to be quite balanced, but it just fell short at 250-300 yards and is what ultimately led me to the 358 Win.

Now as for loads, I've asked for suggestions on the reloading page. I'm leaning towards the Speer 220 as the rifle has show a preference for that bullet profile already. It Loves the 180 Speer FNSP at 2600 fps it will easily do an inch or better.

My top choices right now are Both Speer Bullets, 200 grain Hornady Spire Point. I m looking at the TTSX and also the 200 grain Nosler Accubond.

I know the 220 gr Speer will hold up to Whelen speeds so you should be good to go there, I haven't shot the 180 gr Speer but can't see why it wouldn't be a fantastic deer bullet.

One of favourite bullets is the 200 gr Accubond and since you can load it out a bit more in that magazine of yours it is a top choice in the 358 Win. I have heard that the Accubond's are a bit of a tough fit in a 2.8" magazine. I haven't shot anything as of yet with the 200 gr TTSX but know others really like that bullet. I carried the 200 gr TTSX while looking for moose but couldn't seal the deal as of yet, hopefully this year. The 180 gr TTSX looks very interesting as well.

Gerry.
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by marshland_max

THANKS!

I know the 220 gr Speer will hold up to Whelen speeds so you should be good to go there, I haven't shot the 180 gr Speer but can't see why it wouldn't be a fantastic deer bullet.

One of favourite bullets is the 200 gr Accubond and since you can load it out a bit more in that magazine of yours it is a top choice in the 358 Win. I have heard that the Accubond's are a bit of a tough fit in a 2.8" magazine. I haven't shot anything as of yet with the 200 gr TTSX but know others really like that bullet. I carried the 200 gr TTSX while looking for moose but couldn't seal the deal as of yet, hopefully this year. The 180 gr TTSX looks very interesting as well.

Yes I agree I think the 200 grain Accubond is nicely balance for the 358. I can run right out to 2.86 coal if need be without any error in feeding!

Now to get after that Ramshot TAC and make magic!

Last edited by marshland_max; 01/29/17.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Welcome to the fire! We can always use more lefty members as others have stated.

I had a lefty 700 SA built into a 358 Win about 20 years ago. Went with a Shillen barrel finished out at 21 inches, had the action tuned up at the same time. Used the factory stock but had it completely done over, had the monte carlo removed, got rid of the black plastic caps and had some made out of claro walnut, kind of in the weatherby style. Used a satin poly on it. It is a real looker, and the looks are not just skin deep! Went with a Leupold 1.75x6 Vari X iii shorty model. Fits this rifle perfectly.

Shoot mostly the 200 Hornady SP although I have played with other weights, but the Horn does such a good job I usually stay with that. I have taken quite a few deer with this round and have never been disappointed with the performance. If it ever gets to ride along for elk/moose etc it will be filled with loads carrying 225 Nosler PT's.

I have used mostly IMR 3031 and 4895 for powders. I picked up an 8 lb can of Tac but not yet gotten around to trying it. Most of my cases are 308's that I have necked up.

Great gun and round. I believe it will bring a lot of pleasure. Enjoy!

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 20 invisible), 1,997 guests, and 994 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,707
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.