Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by geedubya
Your thoughts, our bow season starts the first weekend in October. Our rifle season ends the first Sunday in January. IIRC, either I was in transit to and from my lease or "afield" forty days during that period (approx 90 days). Would that be considered serious???

GWB
Nope, you've got to travel all over the globe or at least the US and only shoot big, trophy animals. Shyt, I've never left NY but hunted at least 3-4 days a week for whatever was in season all year round when I was younger. I piled up dead critters by the thousands but I never have been or ever will be a "serious" or even good or knowledgeable hunter. Just ask BobinNH.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Your thoughts, our bow season starts the first weekend in October. Our rifle season ends the first Sunday in January. IIRC, either I was in transit to and from my lease or "afield" forty days during that period (approx 90 days). Would that be considered serious???

GWB
Nope, you've got to travel all over the globe or at least the US and only shoot big, trophy animals. Shyt, I've never left NY but hunted at least 3-4 days a week for whatever was in season all year round when I was younger. I piled up dead critters by the thousands but I never have been or ever will be a "serious" or even good or knowledgeable hunter. Just ask BobinNH.

Congratulations.

I always hunted New England annually but had the time and resources to travel to other places as well....including NY.I never saw anything worth shooting there but I had fun.

I can't help it if you didn't. I got to do both but in your warped little mind that's bad.....how peculiar crazy

I notice people like you who don't get the chance to hunt other places are frequently jealous of those who can.

You're my hero because you get to stay home, hunt less, and shoot bunches of little deer....congratulations? LOL!

If you think for two seconds that I spend ANY time worrying about what kind of hunter you are, you're delusional.

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/28/17.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Blackheart

GWB

Congratulations.

I always hunted New England annually but had the time and resources to travel to other places as well....including NY.I never saw anything worth shooting there but I had fun.

I can't help it if you didn't. I got to do both but in your warped little mind that's bad.....how peculiar crazy

I notice people like you who don't get the chance to hunt other places are frequently jealous of those who can.

You're my hero because you get to stay home, hunt less, and shoot bunches of little deer....congratulations? LOL!

If you didn't see anything worth shooting in NY it's only because your hunting skills aren't up to it Bob. Not my fault and I can't help you with that. Personally, I never really felt a need to hunt anywhere else and still don't. There are plenty of hunting opportunities right here. Went rabbit hunting after work yesterday with a couple of my co-workers. Killed 10 rabbits and one grouse between us and we all had a good time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Something to be said for both I reckon. Haven't traveled much myself, but there's more within 4 hours of me than I'll likely live long enough to do.

Time and funds being the culprit, and likely the same for most.

7 days in big country or 30+ days local? Tough call.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
For years, I was what I would call a serious hunter.. I hunted elk everyday until I filled or the season closed.. Mostly I filled. Antelope and deer same program, but they were easier to come by..
We used all the meat or gave some to folks who needed it or wanted it.. This went on for years until after i retired.. For about 5 or 6 years after retirement we hunted at least two other states for big game, and others for birds..

Gradually, I have lightened up on my big game hunting.. I only hunted Wy. this fall and AZ. a bit for birds.. I also don't hunt as hard as I used to.. If it happens fine, if not there is another day.. Had a couple elk tags that I didn't fill this year, but we have ample meat for the winter, so if I happens fine.. If not, next year.. I would say I enjoy hunting more now than ever.. It is relaxing, I go most days, and after big game and birds are over, I hunt coyotes several times a week..
But even those I do not get after with the need for success that I used to feel.. It is enjoyable getting out.. Hanging around the country, maybe shooting maybe not.. I love it..

I have a line on some elk that I will go check out maybe this evening.. If things are right, I would fill a tag, if not so be it.. It is a wonderful way to enjoy the outdoors.. I hope everyone gets as much pleasure from the outdoors as I do..

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hunt like Elmer Fudd and cook like Gordon Ramsey, so I got that going for me, which is nice....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore
I hunt like Elmer Fudd and cook like Gordon Ramsey, so I got that going for me, which is nice....

laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 16bore

God bless ya!!!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ever hear of passing up animals you didn't care to shoot? I can do that in New England, too. And did it in New York.

I've killed a lot of grouse over the years......Maine, NH, Mass, and Vermont. Big deal.

I never said there was anything wrong with hunting New York, but to suggest you're some king of "serious" hunter " because that's the only place you hunt, and Im some kind of scrub because I hunt at home and also travel around and manage to kill a big deer once in awhile is illogical.

I was in Eastern NY a few weeks ago....didn't see you LOL. I asked around. No one ever heard of you....... crazy

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife and I hunt 3 states a year and spend all 4 weeks of my vacation doing so.

We spend around $2400 in license fees and $1500 in gas to travel.....probably about $450 in hotel stays.

$950 for a North Missouri hunting rights only farm lease.

Add in all the gear Sam mentioned....X2....remember wife

No....I'm not a serious hunter by no means

I enjoy hunting but it is only a hobby

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Ever hear of passing up animals you didn't care to shoot?

Guess I'm gettin' less serious by the trip.

Back in October it came a frog-choker. Wind was blowing 35 MPH + and the rain was going side-ways. I had stayed up till 1 AM listening to a Michael Connelley Audiobook, and when the alarm went off at 5 AM I got up, used a convenient coffee can, laid back down and slept in till 8 AM.

Last time I was up, it was dark-thirty and a small hoglet came into view. As it was evening I decided there was not enough meat to warrant skinning. I let him walk, came back, built a fire and enjoyed a stogie and a beverage. Didn't feel bad about my decision in the least! A few years back, that never would have happened. Heck, I've even quit tracking wounded boars at night through the cat-claw and cactus, on my hands and knees, pistol in one hand and a light in the other. Decided it might be prudent to quit that before my luck ran out.

[Linked Image]

The big ones can rip ya' a new orifice!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/28/17.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Ever hear of passing up animals you didn't care to shoot? I can do that in New England, too. And did it in New York.

I've killed a lot of grouse over the years......Maine, NH, Mass, and Vermont. Big deal.

I never said there was anything wrong with hunting New York, but to suggest you're some king of "serious" hunter " because that's the only place you hunt, and Im some kind of scrub because I hunt at home and also travel around and manage to kill a big deer once in awhile is illogical.

I was in Eastern NY a few weeks ago....didn't see you LOL. I asked around. No one ever heard of you....... crazy
Well for starters I'm not in Eastern NY. As with the deer, it might help if you looked in the right places. Nobody around here ever heard of you either, including me. If you were the great white hunter you like to think you are, you would have been able to find a shooter buck in NY. Remember your incoherent, nonsensical rant about the overpopulated, retarded, inbred deer in NY ? Well I do and it appears they bested you now doesn't it ? I don't know exactly where in NY you hunted but from your description it sounded like central or Western NY farmland. I have friends who hunt the Cortland and finger lakes areas every season and they kill bucks in the 125-150 inch range pretty regularly. If you came here expecting to find better, you aren't terribly bright. I suggest you look up an article by Charles Alsheimer entitled "120 inch booners" for a more realistic view of what constitutes a trophy in much of NY's southern zone. As for me, I coud give a shyt less. I've never been a trophy hunter. Just a hunter who has killed a few big ones for the area over the years. I've killed alot of other ones that were just eaters and they're just fine with me.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i used to be what i would call a serious hunter. researched my ass off. bought specialized calls, scents, camo's, guns, bows, etc and spent a lot of off season time practicing and reading about techniques. i hunted almost every weekend from october to february. i would get up at 4am, hike an hour or more up into the hills before daylight and be the last guy out after dark. i enjoyed that for 25 or so years but am more of a leisurely hunter these days. i've even been known to sleep in until 8 lately and leave the woods at 3. i get the same level of enjoyment out of that style of hunting.

My diploma is a DD214
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rem141r
i used to be what i would call a serious hunter. researched my ass off. bought specialized calls, scents, camo's, guns, bows, etc and spent a lot of off season time practicing and reading about techniques. i hunted almost every weekend from october to february. i would get up at 4am, hike an hour or more up into the hills before daylight and be the last guy out after dark. i enjoyed that for 25 or so years but am more of a leisurely hunter these days. i've even been known to sleep in until 8 lately and leave the woods at 3. i get the same level of enjoyment out of that style of hunting.

Very well said. And some get more enjoyment helping others, especially younger relatives and friends, get their animals. Kind of a natural progression.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

So what distinguishes a "serious" hunter, and what is the opposite - a frivolous hunter?

A person who hunts for a livelihood, or must hunt to provide food, is a serious hunter. Everyone else, is fun and show, no matter how serious they think they are.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

So what distinguishes a "serious" hunter, and what is the opposite - a frivolous hunter?

Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Dunno about a serious hunter, I'm kinda the opposite.

Its more about fellowshipping. Spending the weekend at deer camp. Having a good card or dart game. Making plans the hunt the next morning, but never making it because a buddy you havent seen since last season shows up and ya'll one more beer it until the wee hours. Skinning your buddies kids deer while giving the kid high fives whether its a buck, does, spike or yearling. Firing up the grill, cooking way too much food. gathering up a posse to blood trail a huge buck, only to find its a 6pt. Sitting around the campfire and passing the bottle around. Talking about yesterday and 10 years ago. Me, I like shooting critters. Not much on trophy hunting.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It has come to my attention over the last few years that evidently the only requisite to kill a 200" muley is to wear some 2 sizes too small skin tight camo and sport a nice "Flattie" billed cap!

#crushin200"ers

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (16penny, 11point, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 3,004 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,582
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.