-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Being a young Marine E5 in the 80's I thought I knew everything about shooting.
That is until I stumbled upon the writings of Jeff Cooper and realized I knew absolutely zero.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Bob [load that sombitch balls to the wall] Hagel and Layne [3600 fps or bust] Simpson.

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ruark, Twain, and Herriot

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Oh, forgot one, PO [blow a primer pocket] Ackley. grin

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
John Barsness, Gary Sitton, Jack O'Connor, Bob Milek, Bob Hagel, Jim Carmichel, Layne Simpson, PO Ackley and Ken Waters.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Layne Simpson
Larry Weishuhn
Rick Jamison

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hagel, Seyfried, Barness, and Ruark. Oh, and Aagard, also.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I grew up reading O'Connor for rifles and hunting, Page for reloading, and later Skelton for handguns.

The shooting instructors at Camp Pinnacle in Lyme, NH, Bill Baudendistel and Fred Streeter, weren't writers, but they were the guys who taught me how to consistently shoot small groups.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Clay Harvey.

There I said it. I'm not saying it was a good choice. I'm not trying to argue he was a particularly good, or wise or ethical.

The plain simple truth is that when I really started thinking about rifles. I had a copy of "The Hunting Rifle" at hand, and it influenced me a lot in the years prior to my joining this august forum.

In retrospect, there was a lot of truth in what he wrote. I have not seen a whole lot of contradictions of fact from people I trust. The fact a lot of what he wrote was apocryphal and his ethics seem have been questioned heavily do not change that.

Now, having gotten that off my chest, I will also say that I read a lot of O'Connor when I was growing up and I picked up a copy of Jim Carmichael's books a few years ago. What surprised me was how much of the latter had already filtered into my head.

I also want to make mention of Bradford Angier, Ray Bergman, and especially Jim Corbett. I was gifted a book of the latter's when I was about 6 and it was an epiphany.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shaman
Clay Harvey.

There I said it.

You're an honest, brave, and slightly eccentric man.

I'd share a campfire with you anytime!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Who's Your Favorite Outdoorsman/Writer? - 2007

My post from '07:

Kutenay had posted a list of gunwriters he held in high regard as true outdoorsmen:

"Guys like John Barsness, Finn Aagaard, Ken Waters, Bob Hagel, Elmer Keith, "Spud" Sell, Townsend Whelen, Phil Shoemaker and even the younger ones like Brian Pearce".-Kutenay

This may have been hashed over before, but I'd like to know which gunwriter(s) or outdoorsman/writer(s) you like and please share why.

I'll go by saying I enjoy reading the written words of both G. Fred Asbell and Phil Shoemaker.

(Asbell) -I share a common joy with Asbell in using basic archery tackle to hunt game animals from the ground and from blinds. His written words ring true to me in a very down to earth no frills fashion. I find his writing style to reflect fatherly wisdom and inspiration.

(Shoemaker) -When I think of Phil Shoemaker, I think of Alaska and Big Bears. Shoemaker, Alaska and Bears are almost synonymous. Like Asbell, I find Shoemaker's written word to be very straightforward and down to earth. When Mr. Shoemaker speaks, I listen as he comes across to me as someone who has an awareness of things as they really are. His six pillars of character appear second to none.

I invite you all to please share your thoughts on your favorites.

Ten years ago, and I guess to be fair, he may be more of a professional outdoorsman who writes, than a professional writer with a pen for the outdoors. But I still favor his style, and beholden to no one, honesty in his written words.

Last edited by GaryVA; 02/02/17.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In order of influence:

#1 O'Connor
#2 Aagaard
#3 Barsness

Ironically, those are also in date/time order too. And further, those three are also my favorite (as opposed to influential) gunwriters. I think our own John B. would have had a greater influence on me were I a younger man who came to shooting/gun-nuttery later than I did.

Larry Koller gets an honorable mention too.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Clay Harvey.

There I said it.

Thank you. I'm not proud of the fact.

At a formative time in my outdoor career, I had access to a well-stocked used bookstore. For about 10 years I grabbed every interesting book off their outdoor section. Many were $.50 or a dollar. There was a lot of good stuff in there. There was also a lot of real glop, but I did not know it at the time. It really wrecked my early hunting experiences with all that compost rolling around in my head. The worst offender was the Outdoor Life Cyclopedia circa 1939. It was comprehensive, authoritative, and completely fallacious. I have three copies. I plan on inflicting them on people I despise some day.

The Clay Harvey book came from an ill-fated membership in the North American Hunting Club. I didn't realize it was a scam until the books started arriving. I wasn't asking for them. They just kept showing, along with stupid medallions and equally stupid outdoor gadgets. I was a good guy and sent the first few back, and wrote nice letters saying I didn't want anymore. The stuff kept coming. I finally figured out the best thing to do was ignore them and let them pile up. Eventually the pay-up-or-die notices stopped coming.

I ended up with a stack of brown letherette-bound tomes. Harvey's book was the thickest. Somewhere in the mid-90's I picked it up and read it. It stayed by my bedside until the early 2000's. About that time, I met a fellow who had a similar stack of NAHC books, and he gifted them to me, so a lot of that goo has 2 copies represented on my shelf.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob Milek
Craig Boddington
John Wooters
Layne Simpson
Ross Seyfried

Last edited by SCGunNut; 02/02/17.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Brad
Clay Harvey.

There I said it.

Thank you. I'm not proud of the fact.

Clay Harvey penned a couple articles on the 6.5 Swedish Mauser cartridge in the 1980s and those articles had some influence on me obtaining a 6.5 Mauser that I prize to this day. I guess that counts as influence.

Though the articles were probably based more on lies instead of experience and likely stolen rifles, I have to admit giving credit to his influence too.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I love to read so all of the authors listed above have influenced me. I would also add in John Jobson and Archibald Rutledge

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I was mostly influenced by an uncle who hunted with a 300 savage. I remember him dropping moose and elk both in there tracks on many occasions. I was also influenced somewhat by my uncles wife who dropped a moose in its tracks with the 243 that she used pretty much exclusively for hunting her entire life. At that time I was around 6 years of age and I remember my aunt smiling and saying.....I keep telling your uncle he's overgunned but he won't listen. She had a long history of success with the 243 and in fact had more one shot drop in there tracks than my uncle had with his 300 savage. She never failed to point that out either. grin

Lately as far as actual gunwriters go I have in fact learned some of my most useful information from John Barness! Not just by reading his literature but in fact mostly through posts here on the campfire.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Hagel, Keith, Ormond and Skeeter..

Molon Labe
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Charles Waterman authored a book "The Hunters World" that had a lot of positive influence on me. I got it for Christmas in my mid teens, at a time when a little guidance was needed!
For shooting/hunting O'Connor, Francis Sell and John Wooters certainly had lots of influence on my "progression" as a kid/young man.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bob Hagel, Finn Aagard, Bob Milek, Wayne Van Zwoll, Ross Seyfried. Those fellas always seemed to write about hunting AND cartridges. I liked how they usually got into the field with the concepts and cartridges they were writing about.

Semper Fi
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (35WhelenNut, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 2ndwind, 4214chip, 29 invisible), 2,934 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,634
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.