Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Greetings,

I'm a bit late to the game, seeking input from you Winchester gurus on this 300 Win selling on GB. The pad appears replaced, S# dates receiver to latter '62, not '63, but maybe not too uncommon. Any thoughts or insight greatly appreciated.
Thank you

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/618284276

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That is a gorgeous rifle, features some figure and rich color in the factory stock. Somebody around here may try to buy it for themselves. You better hurry.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thank you

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I am going to say that I question the stock. The checkering looks to be hand cut, and fills the pistol grip and forearm alot more than what was the norm with the machine checkering from 59 on. Also the forearm looks much too round for a last year rifle. Forearm profile changed to accommodate machine checkering. Check out page 151 of Rule book if you have access.

Beautiful stock though.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It has some bluing wear at the front sight, pristine collector?

I had one of those, probably should have kept it.

My stock wasn't that fancy, the finish didn't seem that bright.

Those are pretty rare, one year is correct.

DF

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Great insight, thank you.
I tend to agree, checkering, forearm, and overall quality of stock in general seem to share likeness more akin to earlier models.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Wong vintage stock with pachmayr recoil pad. Should have been a ventilated Winchester pad. Stock refinished, but very nice figure. The barreled action has to be worth quite a bit since it is a rare rifle. It also has an aluminum floor plate and there is something weird about the bluing near the Winchester trademark stamping. I'd be suspect of a cover-up from where it may have had holes drilled for a G&H side mount.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Wong vintage stock with pachmayr recoil pad. Should have been a ventilated Winchester pad. Stock refinished, but very nice figure. The barreled action has to be worth quite a bit since it is a rare rifle. It also has an aluminum floor plate and there is something weird about the bluing near the Winchester trademark stamping. I'd be suspect of a cover-up from where it may have had holes drilled for a G&H side mount.

Move along on this one.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thank you guys.

Agreed, the stock though nice, doesn't seem quite "right". I questioned seller about pad, owner claims it original to gun when new. I know Pachmayr made the pads for Winchester, but also thought they were all vented with a white line spacer. Would living in a safe, away from elements since '64, keep stock bright ? Also asked seller about the light area on receiver around stamp, said it was glare, but I don't know.

Thanks again

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Too many red flags, $2,600 for a pristine collector.

I think $1,500 as a shooter would make sense.

IMO

DF

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Cattledog
Thank you guys.

Agreed, the stock though nice, doesn't seem quite "right". I questioned seller about pad, owner claims it original to gun when new. I know Pachmayr made the pads for Winchester, but also thought they were all vented with a white line spacer. Would living in a safe, away from elements since '64, keep stock bright ? Also asked seller about the light area on receiver around stamp, said it was glare, but I don't know.

Thanks again

Sounds like you asked all the right questions. If really serious about finding a good collector, I'd keep an eye out for a different one. A better one will come around eventually, you just need to be patient. A great friend of mine used to tell me that and he was absolutely right. There are just too many red flags on this one and I get an uneasy feeling about the seller and the listing... It may just be me, but usually I go with my gut feeling on things like this...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thank you BSA,

Very sound advise, lot to be said for gut instinct.
Would also seem if gun had been rested on pad for past 53 yrs, should look more compressed and more degraded.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Well, I'm outbid, will let others bidders battle it out for the glory.

Thanks to all for the replies, much appreciated !

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes sir, it would.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
PM sent.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by donsm70
PM sent.

donsm70

Don, you need to show him one of your 300's... I know they are a thing of beauty..

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Fake put together gun. 300 Win Mags did not have the US of A Trademark. They had had Winchester R (in a circle) I think that is a 308 std weight barrel rechambered and remarked. I am on the road and although my loaned out Rifleman's Rifle has returned home, I am not there.

Stock is nice but is pre 1958.

Last edited by sbrmike; 02/08/17.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wrong pad, aluminum floorplate, etc. the rifle is a poor attempt at faking a rare gun. Definately not original, run don't walk away from this one.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
What do you guys think of my guestimate of the value as a $1,500 shooter?

Or said another way, knowing what we now know, what's the right price?

DF

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have seen several late 300 win mags come with the alum floor plate, for some reason many proof marks were up high on the receiver as well .
Mine has a pad on it and it needed it, I love the 300 win mag cal ,it does have a sharp rap ! That matters on the bench but one does not notice it on game..
Dirtfarmer , mine is nice but not mint, Im calling it 87% , I have 3 to many 300 win mags if you need it. very best winpoor

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

471 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 39 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,959
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.