Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Too many act as if a handgun is not up to the task of having the terminal effectiveness to use as a defensive weapon against bears. This is simply not true!

Phil stopped an all out charge with a 9mm with a 147 grain hardcast. I prefer and used a big boar revolver, Phil has sound reasons for his choice.

While this account is not in a defensive nature, it definitely illustrates the the terminal effectiveness of a handgun
Written by Dustin Linebaugh,
"We had sat on an open hillside for somewhere around an hour, glassing the open tundra & alder patches that streatched out below us for miles. Then movement caught my eye as I watched my Grizz amble from the alder thicket some 6 or 700 yds below us. After a few seconds everyone was very focused on this bear & we all agreed he was a nice trophy. After scaling the moss & shale covered hill side for a few minutes we were within 200 yds or so of him. We crept to within 176 yds of him & he knew something was there, I felt confident I could place a good vital shot on him from this distance. He was sitting down on his haunches looking straight at us when I squeezed the shot off hitting him center of chest. The 425 grn LFN penatrated straight through breaking the spine then exiting, he instantly crumpled to the ground then began rolling around trying to get up, I then followed up with placing two brodside shots on him with my .475 Linebaugh. We ranged the distance 3 times to be 176 yds with a Leica range finder, after the 2.5 mile hike back to camp we rolled the hide out flat on the ground & it measured 8'.5" ft nose to taiL"

This a picture of Dustin and his bear.

[Linked Image]

I'm not recommending a handgun or rifle for that matter, just trying to shed some light on the terminal effectiveness of a handgun.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GhostlySix
Im new to this site and I would appreciate a little input on my question, if y'all don't mind. I'm a former Alaska resident, but military committments moved around the country and the world before that part of life came to an end. Im planning a trip back this summer with my son and grandson, long long overdue. My oldest boy, a gunsmith made a custom .375 Ruger for starting with a 1909 Argentine Mauser action. My question, is the .375 Ruger popular in Alaska? Im going to accept on faith it will plant moose or caribou pretty cleanly out to 300 yards, but is this an above average answer for brown bear when he knows your there? Thanks

Don't know if this will answer your question but all of my guides, with the exception of one who lives on Kodiak and is maybe more of a rifle geek than I am, use the 375 Ruger. And I just bought a second one.

And well place handgun bullets, especially the larger ones, do work just fine on bears. My daughter guided a brown bear hunter a few years ago who was using a 500 S&W and she said it was DRT and as quick and impressive as kill as she has ever seen.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by jwp475

Too many act as if a handgun is not up to the task of having the terminal effectiveness to use as a defensive weapon against bears. This is simply not true!

Phil stopped an all out charge with a 9mm with a 147 grain hardcast. I prefer and used a big boar revolver, Phil has sound reasons for his choice.

While this account is not in a defensive nature, it definitely illustrates the the terminal effectiveness of a handgun
Written by Dustin Linebaugh,
"We had sat on an open hillside for somewhere around an hour, glassing the open tundra & alder patches that streatched out below us for miles. Then movement caught my eye as I watched my Grizz amble from the alder thicket some 6 or 700 yds below us. After a few seconds everyone was very focused on this bear & we all agreed he was a nice trophy. After scaling the moss & shale covered hill side for a few minutes we were within 200 yds or so of him. We crept to within 176 yds of him & he knew something was there, I felt confident I could place a good vital shot on him from this distance. He was sitting down on his haunches looking straight at us when I squeezed the shot off hitting him center of chest. The 425 grn LFN penatrated straight through breaking the spine then exiting, he instantly crumpled to the ground then began rolling around trying to get up, I then followed up with placing two brodside shots on him with my .475 Linebaugh. We ranged the distance 3 times to be 176 yds with a Leica range finder, after the 2.5 mile hike back to camp we rolled the hide out flat on the ground & it measured 8'.5" ft nose to taiL"

This a picture of Dustin and his bear.

[Linked Image]

I'm not recommending a handgun or rifle for that matter, just trying to shed some light on the terminal effectiveness of a handgun.

That's some pretty impressive shooting with that short barrel!

Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
When I moved to Alaska in the mid 90's the first thing I did was buy a Colt Anaconda. I hauled that bastard everywhere with me because I was certain there were bears behind every tree just waiting to eat me. Two years later I realized that bears were a non issue and quit toting that thing around and sold it. If you are hunting by yourself in an area where bears are prevalent I would think about having a capable sidearm but when hunting with others I just see it as unnecessary and just one more thing to carry. I've had eye opening close encounters with bears all over Alaska, and IME using your head and paying attention to your surroundings always worked for me.

All of my hunting was fly in and drop off. Sleep in a 2-3 man dome tent and in a sleeping bag your not going to get a rifle into play if a bear gets on you. A handgun is a very viable option.

That's always been my argument. I sleep with my revolver in the sleeping bag with me. When you're all buttoned up and find yourself getting dragged out of the tent you have a gun with you rather than the one that is quickly increasing distance from you, and can shoot through the bag if you have to.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Uncas
That info helps.
One auto sort of fits the need a 10MM Glock. Double action revolvers take over with a steep learning curve toward competence. I can shoot heavier guns just not as well as what I have strapped on right now...a 5 inch Redhawk 41 mag with 265gr hardcast somewhere around 1300 feet per second. Single actions are for hunting, double actions are for personal protection. You have a great advantage starting from scratch instead of bringing along Grandpaw's Colt's Dragoon !

I think your comment is an important one.
For a sidearm in grizz country, I went from a 44mag, to a 41 mag to a 357mag, revolvers, all with hardcast, trying to find something that would shorten my recovery time on follow up shots. The 41mag was the best out of the three, but still I didn't feel confident with consistent accuracy. So I went to a heavy weight semi in 10mm, with hardcast, and my accuracy as well as follow up was better. So that's what I use. I'm still learning.
I use a 30-06 with partitons when hunting in grizz country, because that's what I shoot the best.
And I still carry bearspray.

To add: of course I'm talking about Wyoming, which is my only experience with dangerous game. Carrying a heavy sidearm is not inconvenient for me, but I understand where it might be for others.

Last edited by Wyogal; 01/29/17.
IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Wyogal....Thanks for the kind words. This is how the Campfire was back when there were just a few of us!

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Thanks for the opinions everyone, very helpful. Think I have decided to purchase a side arm for the trip (always sorta wanted one anyway...this is as good an excuse as any). Understand the comments about being new to the pistol game...that's why I am asking now, so I have time to make a purchase and gain some semblance of pistol proficiency before the trip in September. Thanks again!
Northerner.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Well, I just bought a .50AE Desert Ego. I'll see how that works. smile

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hell, if I knew I was going into the same situation I wouldn't go !!

LOLOL....pretty much the same answer I've given folks that ask if I really think I'm going to need the pistol I pretty much always have with me these days here in the civilized world. Of course I don't think I'll need it. If I thought I was going to need it I either 1)wouldn't go or 2)take a lot bigger gun. You just have to prepare the best you can with what's reasonable to have along.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
Glock 20s are 10MM...sort of an auto 41 Special...Sometimes called a Block 20, it does hold a bunch of ammo. May may not be a good fit with average size hands. Borrow or buy a used Glock 9MM, then use that skillset when you upgrade to the Glock 20.
The advantage of revolvers is they can shoot low powered ammo for skill building working up to full power ammo for serious matters.
Auto pistols need full power ammo to function.

You can practice with 40 SW in the G20.

Re read my Glock armoror's manual, no mention of Short and Weaks in a 10MM. I have heard of this. I SAW a fellow shoot a whole box of 9MMs through a 40 S&W once too! They all fired but the power and precision was lacking!

Maybe it's okay to use .308 ammo in a 30-06.

Just joking..

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been carrying a 329PD with Buffalo Bore 255 grain load at 1250 fps.

But now am upgrading to a 3 pound 14 oz gun shooting a 225 grain partitions at 2400 fps to have the option to actually go hunt a grizz if I want while out and about hiking in the interior where I do most my summer hiking.

Should work fine to 150 yards or so. Given the 1.5" groups I am getting at 100 yards.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
So what's the 3 lb 12 oz gun your gonna carry?

Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by wswolf
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by FallGuy
rost495,
Is this what you're thinking of http://www.rusteprufe.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

Similar container but it wiped lead off. Would wipe the film off a shiny nickel python with one wipe... I was amazed by it. I MIGHT find it back one of these decades if I don't die first. No clue where it went to, or maybe it quit finally and I tossed it.
I think this is what you are looking for:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/647492/midwayusa-rust-and-lead-remover-gun-cleaning-cloth If I recall correctly Birchwood-Casey used to have them.
Cool, not aware of that. Might have to try a few. Goign to go look if there are reviews now.

Jeff,

The old Lead Away cloth is still available, just different packaging:

[color:#3333FF]KleenBore Lead Away Cloth[/color]

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thanks Ed! I had not ordered the other one yet, have a bad way of putting things off.

Paid off for once!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Do you handload? If you do a S&W 69 makes alot of sense all around.

You got my attention, you got a pet load for your 69?

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (1lessdog, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,412
Posts18,470,447
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.