Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I see it kind of differently now than I did when I was young. What we have is numbers we look at and compare.

So let's look at 7mm, and we could say the same about other calibers.

If I take a 7mm-08 and compare it to a 7x57 Mauser with a full load in a modern rifle the Mauser wins. The comparison between the 7x57 and the 280 the 280 wins ( As does the 284). The comparison between the 280 and the 7mm Mag the mag wins.

So the margin between the 7mm-08 and the 7mm Mag with a 150 grain is about 400 fps. Then the question is, what is the likelihood that I will need to shoot where that margin becomes important? As a north eastern hunter that likelihood is small.

So I have to ask, Why would I spend the money and carry a heavier rifle that kicks a lot more to have the capacity I never expect to see?

If people looked at the criteria, and made logical decisions based on real need, I thing the popularity of these big boys would sharply decrease. In my case my 7x57 and my 30-06 cover everything I might possibly do. Anything else is redundant.

And then there are those of us who are capable to way on out there.... 1000 yards give or take.

But again, its take what works... when hunting close I don't even use your 7x57, I use a 300/221 with subs out to 200 yards...

But I have a few "mags" for when I want to be capable further out there. And a few taht are capable to "mid range" or so.

And then there is the 22lr... that gets grabbed quite often for pigs, turkeys and whatever is legal, it would for deer too if it were legal...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Crystal ball: In spite of the current trend of Bic rifles, the future profits will be made on high end quality. Make them look good, shoot better than good, price them high and make less. Doubt if you will see a Bic rifle come out of Cooper. Chasing every John Doe to buy your rifles is a tough sell, when everyone else is chasing the same buyer.

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
The Creedmoor has already "made it." It will be around for a long time.

tedhorn's comment is the most pertinent. Over the next 4 years, it will be lucky if most of the gun manufacturers are solvent. There are simply too many guns already available in America for them to keep selling many more. Everyone already has what they want.

The number of outdoor/hunting retailers will also decrease. I am concerned how many "bankruptcy's" the firearms industry can absorb.

Doc

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
captdavid,

By coincidence, I just wrote an article for GUNS magazine on why new cartridge introductions succeed or fail, but of course can't post it here.

However, one thing I've noticed over the decades is that new rifle cartridges tend to succeed when there's already some built-up demand. This occurs frequently when a wildcat (or type of wildcat) becomes so popular that the first widely-available commercial version becomes a success. Aside from really old wildcats like the .25-06 and .35 Whelen, there are four instances since World War Two that became big commercial successes:

.222 Remington. There was already considerable demand for a bolt-action .224 centerfire with ballistics between the .22 Hornet and .220 Swift. Eventually the .223 Remington took over the .222's slot, but that was due to being a military round. The .222 started it all, and was THE medium-size .224 varmint round for many years.

7mm Remington Magnum. There'd been plenty of activity in this area for decades, including some commercial cartridges such as the 7mm Weatherby, but Remington finally put it all together.

The .300 WSM. A bunch of people had been wildcatting short, fat, beltless magnums for several years, and some "proprietary" versions were available from smaller companies. But Winchester was the first big company to get it done.

The 6.5 Creedmoor. Various mild 6.5's that allowed high-BC bullets to fit easily in standard 2.84" short magazines had already appeared, but Hornady and Ruger did the same thing Remington did with the 7mm Magnum and Winchester did with the .300 WSM, making a commercial version easily available in factory rifles and ammo.

In contrast, there was ZERO previous interest in anything resembling the WSSM's. The .22-250 already dominated the hot .224 centerfire niche, and the .243 and .25 WSSM's didn't do anything new ballistically except fit in super-short bolt actions that couldn't be rebarreled to anything except other WSSM's.

A bunch of other cartridges have failed for similar reasons as the WSSM's. Somebody working for some company figured shooters really truly needed them, despite the fact that there'd been zero wildcatting activity in that area. But essentially, they turned out to be new wildcats that very few shooters wanted. Of course, some people bought them just because of wanting to be different, but that's not commercial success.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's still too many old cartridges that I still don't have. (I'd take a 300 H&H over a short cartridge, but then short bolts don't impress me much.)

Then their's a Model 30 Remington that isn't in my gun cabinet and a Model 54 Winchester, a Model 71, a Model 52, a drilling, double rifles. And I lament about not having a Krag, a Model 99, a Browning BAR, and so many others.

The new cartridges, the new rifles - not much room in my safe for them. You can add plastic pistols and all the AR variants - I don't need nor want more of those.

And yes I like the Rigby more than the Remington 416 and I like the H&H more than the Ruger 375. The 06 is the best 30 caliber ever made, in my opinion, though there's still room for that 300 H&H.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Not wanting to disagree with the great one (MD) but would not the 708 fit that scenario. Captdavid

MD it was 95 in McAllen Friday, subliminal messaging (:

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure if you meant the scenario of a ready made demand or something gun makers dreamed up, but I think the 7mm-08 was marketed pretty heavily to silhouette shooters at first to fill an increasing demand. Silhouette was "the fastest growing segment of the shooting sports" in the early 80's and they wanted a lesser recoiling SA round that still threw heavy enough bullets with good BC to knock down the 500 meter rams. 7mm was considered the sweet spot of weight and BC in those days, we can see that 6.5mm or even 6mm has usurped that throne today for the really long range guys.

IIRC Remington first chambered the 7mm-08 in their Varmint Special and maybe one other variation, but they clearly had the silhouette guys in mind when they offered it. So they met a need and offered it to a bunch of fellows who would be more loony oriented than your average bunch of hunters and who therefore would be more willing to accept something new - particularly in the target games where everyone tools up and buys new rifles to copy last year's winner. The fact that it is a short action 7x57 with all of the virtues of that round for hunting is a nice plus.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by T_O_M
There are a few things going against any new cartridge today.

One is brass availability. One is quality control regarding both the brass and the rifles themselves.

I can't remember a time when more of the production capacity went to making stuff I had no interest in buying and, when they did accidentally put something on the shelf that looked good, it horribly underperformed when I got it home.

Finally, excess competition. When a company comes up with something new, every other company has to copycat them. For examples, consider the 7mm WSM / 7mm RSAUM and the .300 WSM / .300 RSAUM / .300 RCM. In the .30 caliber group, the WSM will survive, the others have been taken off life support but don't know this breath is their last one yet. Both of the 7mms are dog-dead, failed to launch.

There can even be too much competition between one company's new products. The WSSMs might have survived if there'd been a longer gap between the WSM introduction and their introduction.

IMHO ... of course ...

Well said..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bugger
There's still too many old cartridges that I still don't have. (I'd take a 300 H&H over a short cartridge, but then short bolts don't impress me much.)

Then their's a Model 30 Remington that isn't in my gun cabinet and a Model 54 Winchester, a Model 71, a Model 52, a drilling, double rifles. And I lament about not having a Krag, a Model 99, a Browning BAR, and so many others.

The new cartridges, the new rifles - not much room in my safe for them. You can add plastic pistols and all the AR variants - I don't need nor want more of those.

And yes I like the Rigby more than the Remington 416 and I like the H&H more than the Ruger 375. The 06 is the best 30 caliber ever made, in my opinion, though there's still room for that 300 H&H.

Beautiful post sir...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jim,

Good points all, especially that the 7mm-08 became a factory cartridge primarily because of target shooters, not hunters. Which is exactly what happened with the 6.5 Creedmoor.

But like the Creedmoor, when hunters tried the 7mm-08 they liked it--and liked it even better after the Barnes TSX appeared. Before the TSX Barnes X's often didn't shoot all that well, fouled bores, and weren't abailable in many factory loads. Also, many big game hunters were still skeptical of hunting game larger than deer when using a short-action 7mm even with Nosler Partitions. But the TSX was not only more consistently accurate and solved the fouling problem, but convinced even many average hunters that smaller cartridges could work on larger game with lighter bullets that shot pretty flat.

Bullet development has had considerable effect on cartridge development, along with the standardization of the "short action" magazine at 2.84 inches. These days longer, high-BC bullets are driving a lot of cartridge design, the 6.5 Creedmoor being a prime example--partly because high-BC hunting bullets started to appear.

But a lot of older hunters are still going to believe very firmly that longer belted cartridges and much heavier bullets (often started at higher muzzle velocities) are the only solution. To a certain extent that's understandable, because those are the solutions they grew up with, back when "long actions" and cup-and-core bullets were the rule, and extra muzzle velocity the solution to longer-range shooting. Most humans tend to stick with what helped form their own history, whether haircuts, vehicles or the church they attend--which is why many hunters believe high muzzle velocity is the only solution to longer-range shooting: That WAS the solution ever since the appearance of smokeless powder.

However, hunting rifle and ammunition development did not stop 50 years ago, when many of today's older hunters were starting out. In fact it had changed considerably before then, good examples being Nosler Partitions in 1948--and 1950's Remington 722, which set the standard for short bolt-actions.

I like, own and use many of the older classic rifles and cartridges myself, even traditional muzzleloaders, including one flintlock. But unlike Lord Ripon, who in the late 19th century was still having custom outside-hammer shotguns made because he believed hammerless shotguns were an invention of the devil, I own several hammerless doubles, and even a couple of autoloading shotguns. Similarly, I don't believe all bolt-action development ended with the 98 Mauser (though owning and hunting with quite a few) or that all smokeless rifle cartridges since the .30-06 are redundant--despite having taken more big game animals with the .30-06 that any other single round.

If somebody wants to pick THEIR era as the apex of rifle development, why that's their right. But they should remember that many other people believed the same thing long before they were born.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Regarding the 3 WSSMs, IIRC, prior to their introduction there was a lot of talk about the inherent accuracy advantage of short/fat cartridges in the PPC mold.

I wonder if the WSSMs would have had more success if Winchester/USRA hadn't been on its last legs and if Winchester/Olin had offered standard/popular priced 75 and 100 grain factory loads in the 25 WSSM and a 75 grain factory load in the 243 WSSM.

Winchester/Olin's decision (failure?) not to offer a wider variety of factory ammo that might have better covered the spectrum of intended uses was, in retrospect, similar to the way Remington handicapped the 260 back in 1997.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

398 members (16penny, 16gage, 12savage, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 46 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,130
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.