Print Thread
Hop To
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Damned climate change fudge-up the schedule this year.

But patience is virtue. So they tell me.

The sea ice formed a couple weeks late, back in Oct/Nov. I was in Hawaii when it did set up enough for the caribou could cross about 3 weeks later than normal, and they came through.

I was conflicted..... smile

Then there were a couple week-ends of trouble shooting the Bravo's non-compliance.

Turned out it is smarter than I am. I hate when that happens. But I'm getting chicken with age. If it ain't working right, I stays home! It's humming now.

Then weeks of weather/ wind/cold/ dark interim. Chit just wasn't right for me to go out. At least not beyond walk-home distance, solo.

Got off work 2:45 tonight, out of town 3:15. Running bare- bones. No real survival gear- I ain't going that far - I only have 3 hours of daylight. No sled, two day packs, with bare-bones stuff. . Just in case I do find caribou....Clear skies, 20 degrees, 11 mph E wind. Pretty near the gorgeous level!

4 miles down the Beach road to the Alice? Dome, hang a left another mile to/ thru the windmills site. A mile or so past that down the Peninsula (whatever the hell that direction is!) I topped a hill and glassed. Caribou HO! 2 of them- about 2 miles away. Looked like bulls. Ain't legal till the first. Stupid Regs! But misery and 'bou love company. Go take a look.

Helluva nice snow-machine stalk. Last half mile I was able to stay just below the top contour of a stream bed above the bottom brush, eliminating visibility, and reducing noise. Didn't hurt that the wind was directly in my favor, and I just idled + along, keeping machine noise as low as possible.

I could get used to this road hunting... smile

Stopped machine, got out the Bog-Pod tripod shooting rest, walked 30 yards up contour, and there they were.

Yep, bulls. No horns, dammit. They come legal on the first again, but I like watching critters. Ranged em, anyway. 347 yards. 10 or so minutes later I chanced to look over my shoulder, across the brushy creek bed. Critter coming out of the brush. Cow! (antlers!). Ranged. Damned if she wasn't 347 yards ! The rifle is zeroed at
300, and groups right at 1 inch at that range. With a good solid rest.

Shifted BOG. Made the worst shot of my life. While settling the rifle in the
BOG rest , I inadvertently triggered the thing with my gloved hands before ready/intended. No excuse- it was 20 degrees F. for God's sake. Shouldn't have had the finger on the trigger! Shot her right through the hams.

She wasn't going anywhere, and obviously crippled, so I waited for her to stand up again ( I knew where the cross-hairs were when I fired!) and the presentation, then finished her properly.

I hate it when chit happens! That pecker-shot several years back was kinda funny- this was just disgusting.

Dressed her out, loaded the rib cage in the basket (not towing a sled ), stuffed the hinds inside, fronts on the side, wrapped in tarp and we were off.

Bravo ain't happy with a passenger on back, but I was home by 6:40, just after dark.

Got's meat in the freezer! Finally. Store bought chicken and pork don't count.

More better with a cleaner kill....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice little piece, thanks for putting it up, you've started a thousand day dreams in the lower 48.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Great story. Be nice to visit you sometime-during shooting season. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Glad you got meat and got home safe. No matter how good we are or try to be ol'Murphy shows up.

It's the Darwin guy I try and stay clear of. 😄

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrads on Makeing Meat! always a good feeling!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 3,412 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,373
Posts18,469,350
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.