Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
this has proven to be a worthwhile task!

[Linked Image]Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Even birds know not to land downwind!
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Learn me

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by devnull
Learn me

IMO after hundreds of thousands of rounds fired, in LR competition, hunting or bench shooting it doesn't make any difference as to whether your rifle's chamber is under a SAMMI spec or not as far as neck diameter is concerned....the mere fact that the thickness of the brass is consistent all the way down to the shoulder, assist in maintenance of consistent neck tension! If I had to cite just once thing that is probably most conducive to accuracy it would be consistent neck tension. I have proven this to myself many times over the years working with very accurate rifles comparing turned necks to non-turned necks! On .30 caliber brass, primarily .308 Win and 30/06 I turn all necks to .012" and I never have had problems with split necks after multiple firings! grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What brand & model is the brass holder?

I also am a believe in the time and effort to turn necks for consistency.

Thanks

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the information. Are you turning outside of the neck only or both inside and out? Do you do this to Lapua brass as well?

Also, do you anneal?

I have never turned necks as I thought I wouldn't benefit from my no neck turn chambers (i.e. mostly SAAMI).

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by mclevela

Thanks

Lordy....I've had that thing so long I can't even recall but I think that's an old tool I got from Wilson up in Washington state which came with a case trimmer I once used. It'll hold most any caliber cartridge however! I'll see if I can find a brand name on it for you!

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks for the information. Are you turning outside of the neck only or both inside and out? Do you do this to Lapua brass as well?

Also, do you anneal?

I have never turned necks as I thought I wouldn't benefit from my no neck turn chambers (i.e. mostly SAAMI).

I only turn the outside of the neck; Lapua brass as well and I will anneal somewhere betwixt 3-5 rounds! Depends upon what kind of day my back isn't hurting! grin

I use an expander mandrel affixed in a die body (from Sinclair) that lets the mandrel 'float' and with whatever cartridge I'm loading for the mandrel OD size expands the neck to .0005" below my bullet OD. Example: For .308 caliber the mandrel measures .3075". This is done after resizing. I do not do any neck sizing...just FL resizing. I do use a MOs guage to set my FL resizing die.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes!

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by mclevela

Thanks

It's an old RCBS case trimmer. I reversed the holder portion on the stand and it works well! grin crazy

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
With my first bui!lt rifle, I reduced my group size by .25" at 100yds just by turning the necks. Lapua brass. I turn everything now.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sage advice....... smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Learn me

If I had to cite just once thing that is probably most conducive to accuracy it would be consistent neck tension.

I always felt it was straight/concentric ammo. However, it makes sense that the net affect of inconsistent neck tension would be the same as non-concentric ammo.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Learn me

If I had to cite just once thing that is probably most conducive to accuracy it would be consistent neck tension.

I always felt it was straight/concentric ammo. However, it makes sense that the net affect of inconsistent neck tension would be the same as non-concentric ammo.

I was about to ask about whether it's all attributed to consistent neck tension or the fact that you're more likely to get straight ammo when the necks are uniform.

It would be interesting to take some cartridges assembled with turned necks and "un-straighten" them to see how they shoot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (2500HD, 270wsmnutt, 260Remguy, 1234, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,130
Posts18,502,601
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.