Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
I like to be succinct when I say things. There's a reason the english language has so many words right? Might as well use them...

Example: Yesterday I tell someone The German Shepherd won the Herding Group at Westminster. Today I tell them the German Shepherd won Best in Show. " Yeah, you told me that yesterday..."

Example: I ate way too many fish as a poor college student. I still like fish with shells and claws but I won't eat a fish with fins. " What About Halibut?"

Example: I ate way too many beans as a kid, now the only legume of any kind I will eat is a peanut. " What about lima beans?"...

And on it goes......

Or is it just that I'm a curmudgeon?

Simple & direct usually works. But sometimes it's worth it to ask the question a little differently. Was searching resumes online, trying to find a new engineer. Found one guy who appeared to be perfect, but his resume said "will not relocate" Otherwise he was perfect.

I emailed him, asking if his "will not relocate" was still valid, as otherwise he was a great fit. It turns out, he'd just the day before decided to accept relocation. He's been here 3 days, and he may be the best guy I've hired in a long time!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I value succinct, written and spoken. I value clarity just as much. Many people do not know how to ask questions nor answer them.

How is "Down the hall, to your left" the correct answer to "Do you have a bathroom?"

Reminds me of the time I was at a hotel in Ensenada, Mexico. We're having drinks when the waitress walks up. I ask in Spanish, "Donde esta el bano?" She replies "right around the corner", apparently not impressed with my Spanish. smile

They either get pissed because you dont know meskin or they get pissed because you thought they were too stupid to know English.

You cant win.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it should be "Donde es el bano?" as it's location is not a temporary thing.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Probably the original subject of Ingwe's OP doesn't know a lot about dog shows and how they're organized.

Never follow up my wife's response to a question with, "Are you sure?"

And, by the way, a couple of years ago at Westminster, Best in Show was won by a Chesapeake Bay Retriever (what every Lab wants to be when they grow up, for those of you not familiar with the breed.) Coincidentally, my boy shares a lot of blood with that dog. Also coincidentally the dog is owned by a close friend of my high school girlfriend.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Women are definitely wired different. When my wife starts a long winded reply to a simple question, I often explain I need an answer, not a story.

Down the hall on the left in reply to do you have a bathroom doesn't bother me at all. Some things are implied and usually obvious.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by cra1948
Probably the original subject of Ingwe's OP doesn't know a lot about dog shows and how they're organized.

Never follow up my wife's response to a question with, "Are you sure?"

And, by the way, a couple of years ago at Westminster, Best in Show was won by a Chesapeake Bay Retriever (what every Lab wants to be when they grow up, for those of you not familiar with the breed.) Coincidentally, my boy shares a lot of blood with that dog. Also coincidentally the dog is owned by a close friend of my high school girlfriend.

That's some funny schidt, wrong but funny nonetheless.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I value succinct, written and spoken. I value clarity just as much. Many people do not know how to ask questions nor answer them.

How is "Down the hall, to your left" the correct answer to "Do you have a bathroom?"

Amazing how many people learn to speak English, but fail to learn how to communicate.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Women are definitely wired different. When my wife starts a long winded reply to a simple question, I often explain I need an answer, not a story.

Down the hall on the left in reply to do you have a bathroom doesn't bother me at all. Some things are implied and usually obvious.

good to hear it's not just my wife... Many times I'll weigh asking a question on whether or not knowing the answer is worth the explanation that will go with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So you prefer to answer the explicit question, not the implied one.

"Do you know what time it is?"

"Yes."

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'd just tell you I don't care what you like or don't like to eat. grin

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

"Yes."

Or

May I ask you a question?

No

FJB & FJT
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

"Yes."

Had a boy call my daughter at home once.

He said, "hello, is <daughter> there?

I said, "Yes" and hung up the phone.

Wife and daughter gave me grief over that.

For all future calls, he said, "Hello, this is <boy>, may I please speak to <daughter>?

I win.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

he was more succinct than you were, for he answered your first question and your yet unasked one with the same response. (Since he would not have given you directions to a non-existant bathroom. It's existance is implied in the vector he gave you.)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kellory

he was more succinct than you were, for he answered your first question and your yet unasked one with the same response. (Since he would not have given you directions to a non-existant bathroom. It's existance is implied in the vector he gave you.)

How'd that vector work out here?

Originally Posted by RWE
In a small town gas station, a guy pulled up and asked rudely "do any of you know how to get to Xtown?"

The old attendant said, "left at the light, and keep gettin it."

The guy drove off.

I said to the attendant, "But that's not the way to Xtown."

He said, "Nope, but that's the fastest way out of town..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE

Originally Posted by RWE
In a small town gas station, a guy pulled up and asked rudely "do any of you know how to get to Xtown?"

The guy drove off.

Sounds like a dick that gave bad directions. How would a change of phrase change anything.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Succinct has its place but can be overdone. (underdone?)

"Gun for sell. Good shape."

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Guilty here. But I"m so used to answering a question and the next one is generally, WHY?

I've gotten to the point I explain my answer in my answer. Most folks appreciate it.

But then I tend to hate it when mom delves off into the story of how milk comes about, rather than just ask me to pick up a gallon and drop it off on the way home if I could... And I really tend to not care for chit chat.... I don't care for you calling, asking how I am, hows the weather, your wife, did you get a deer etc... WTF do you want.

Maybe I am both the problem both ways. A blossoming curmudgeon....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
[quote=1minute]Have go arounds with Cookie on that. Ask a yes/no question like do you want to...., and rather than a simple answer she starts off into some dissertation on the justification for her decision. [/quote/]

Sounds like my wife.... smile

Not to mention how her friend agrees, when she agreed, where they were, what they were doing , and possibly what clothes they were wearing.

And she wonders why I don't consult her about every little thing.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I can tell the people that have never had to spend a good majority of their time on a radio, or troubleshoot over a phone, or deal with casualty situations.

There is no time for 'well, there was.....' stories. Clear and concise.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by RWE

Originally Posted by RWE

The guy drove off.

Sounds like a dick that gave bad directions. How would a change of phrase change anything.

Agreed. No assistance, just dick-tation.

Last edited by kellory; 02/15/17.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

451 members (1lesfox, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 43 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,627
Posts18,474,193
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.