Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Was his manager a grade 'A', number one, top of the shelf jerk? Sounds like it. But whose fault is it that the kid killed himself? The bully's fault for being a jerk? His own fault to putting up with it? His parents for not teaching him how to cope with reality?

Mike and Angela Suttner, the parents of Kenny, said that they hoped this case would help enact change to prevent other cases of bullying.

"It is long overdue that the issue of bullying be brought to light so that we can all work together to make change," Mike and Angela Suttner said in a statement.

Former Dairy Queen manager charged with manslaughter in bullied teen's suicide

A former Dairy Queen manager accused of bullying a Missouri teen to the point that he took his own life has now been charged with involuntary manslaughter, following the suicide of her former employee just days before Christmas, according to court documents.

Kenny Suttner, 17, died on Dec. 21, 2016 after he committed suicide outside of his home in Glasgow, Missouri. Earlier this month Harley Branham, 21, Suttner's former manager from his part-time job at a local Dairy Queen, was charged with the felony of involuntary manslaughter in connection with Suttner's death, the documents say.

The move comes after the Howard County Coroner's Office performed an inquest into what caused the death of Suttner. The verdict of the inquest, filed Jan. 31 and released by the Howard County Coroner's Office, found that Suttner had been harassed, "both at Dairy Queen and at school."

The coroner's jury of six people said that they found Branham, "was the principal in the cause of death."

Branham, who made her first court appearance Tuesday, denied the bullying allegations brought against her.

"There's a lot of people at Dairy Queen saying I was the reason," Branham testified during the inquest, "but I don't understand why it would be that way."

Branham's attorney, Jeff Hilbrenner, told to local ABC News affiliate KMIZ-TV in Columbia, Missouri, "We look forward to the opportunity to present additional evidence and reviewing the evidence that the state intends to present in court."

Branham did not enter a plea Tuesday and is out on $25,000 bond. Her preliminary hearing is set for May 25, 2017. If convicted, she faces up to four years in prison.

Dairy Queen's corporate headquarters said in a statement that their Fayette, Missouri location "is independently owned and operated by a franchisee. American Dairy Queen Corporation does not employ the employees at the location and did not hire, employ or supervise the manager. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with the Suttner family. We are still in the process of gathering information but understand from the franchisee that the manager is no longer employed at this location.”

Suttner was a junior at Glasgow High School at the time of his death, according to the Columbia Daily Tribune. The Glasgow School District, found negligent by the inquest's six-person jury, said in response to the inquest that they were not permitted to fairly defend themselves at the hearing.

April Wilson, the special prosecutor who filed the charges against Branham, said that the inquest that generated the charges had about 20 witnesses, and that "each witness was able to testify to different and specific instances to which they had knowledge of Kenny being bullied," in an interview with "Good Morning America" that aired today.

Wilson said that during Suttner's time at Dairy Queen, "there is one specific time that Kenny is standing next to the fryers that have hot grease in them and a cheeseburger is thrown at him and there were some disparaging remarks made to him about do it right or get out, and of course it was much more harsh than that."

She added that some witnesses testified that Suttner was also forced to lie on his stomach on the floor in order to clean "under machines that could be moved, but he was forced to do it on his stomach."

Wilson added that despite the unusual charges, she is treating this case as she would any other. "In this case, I come into the picture really little too late. The one person I want to talk to in this case is Kenny Suttner, and I can't talk to him," Wilson said.

Mike and Angela Suttner, the parents of Kenny, said that they hoped this case would help enact change to prevent other cases of bullying.

"It is long overdue that the issue of bullying be brought to light so that we can all work together to make change," Mike and Angela Suttner said in a statement.

Mike and Angela Suttner also expressed their appreciation to their community for the support during the difficult time for the family.

From Yahoo News

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Let's see.

Takes a job at Dairy Queen so seriously that he felt the need to kill himself because he was made to do what he was hired to do?

He felt there were no other options other than killing himself?

This isn't day care. It's real life.

Snowflake.

There needs to be more snowflakes melt in this manner.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We have a whole generation (or two) of people who have no idea of how to cope in the real world.

=====================
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Why didn't he just quit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The kid was obviously screwed up. How can they prove that bullying was the cause?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
YGTBFKM! Kill yourself over a part time job? Dumbass..
Hope that he didn't breed any other stupid snowflakes!

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
all the above!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If they want to charge someone, charge the parents.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
They need to look at the whole family.

Wished i could be on the jury,they would not like me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Big +1.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
only when you beat the chit out of the bully and then they will charge you. This kid is a classic example of Liberalism

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
anyone that off's themselves over bullying has other issues.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
There are regions of this country that could be conquered by an army equipped with nothing more that a little harsh language.

=====================
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
anyone that off's themselves over bullying has other issues.

This.

Suicide is severe clinical depression, not a bullying issue.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by hanco
Why didn't he just quit.

he did! whistle

all kidding aside, they really do need to look at the parents. and probably at the school, as well.

Last edited by keith_dunlap; 02/16/17.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Give that man an ice cream cone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is "bullying"? Good definition please before I try to answer that OP question.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
There are regions of this country that could be conquered by an army equipped with nothing more that a little harsh language.
I'd like to hear that radio chatter.

"Bravo 6, this is Hotel 1 actual. Lay down some suppressing "little twerps" on both flanks to keep them pinned."
"Alpha 2, Charlie 1, this is Hotel 1. We have some fast mover "goddamsonsabitches" coming in to interdict any baristas moving up to reinforce the Snowflake Brigade. After they've made their runs I need you to maneuver your companies into position for the final "F*ck you!" assault against their center."

"All stations, Hotel 1. Remember men, I want a swift aggressive attack. Don't let them reach their safe spaces, ignore their tears and take no prisoners."

With apologies if my 40+ year old RTO skills are a bit rusty. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CCCC
What is "bullying"? Good definition please before I try to answer that OP question.

It looks like it is being expanded to include any kind of verbal or written communication that damages someone's self esteem (however fragile that self esteem may be). What's next? Outlawing disapproving looks?

=====================
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Sounds like the perfect confluence of a bunch of dumbazzes, from the kid that killed himself, to the DA that brought the charges, to the 6 frikkin idiots on the jury.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

224 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 18 invisible), 1,685 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,804
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.