Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#11751252 - 01/19/17 Re: My 2017 project... [Re: Dick_Wright]
micky Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: The Buckeye State
I am about to dip my toes in refinishing a stock. You listed what you used earlier in the thread. Could you go into more detail on the steps please?

Thank you.
Micky

RV 728 BP
CLICK HERE for AWESOME PRICES on VORTEX OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
#11753077 - 01/20/17 Re: My 2017 project... [Re: Dick_Wright]
Dick_Wright Offline

Loc: Michigan
The rear bag in the above pic is the first Gator Head bag Jack Snyder of Edgewood Bags ever made. He made it to my drawing and, has since, included it in his line of products. It fill iit with 30 lbs. of heavy sand. As an old benchrest shooter, I firmly believe in heavy rests.

#11753085 - 01/20/17 Re: My 2017 project... [Re: micky]
Dick_Wright Offline

Originally Posted By micky
I am about to dip my toes in refinishing a stock. You listed what you used earlier in the thread. Could you go into more detail on the steps please?

Thank you.
Micky

Micky,

I haven't refinished a stock since the 70's. You have to take it down to bare wood. Use wet-and-dry silicon carbide sand paper, the black stuff. I start with 80 grit and end up with 400. Use sanding blocks... many different shapes of sanding blocks so you don't round off sharp edges. Then use as many coats of the McWillaims Alkanet Refinishing Oil as you need to get the desired gloss.

That's the way I would do it now. Be very careful and good luck.

Dick

#11756416 - 01/21/17 Re: My 2017 project... [Re: redz06]
Dick_Wright Offline

Originally Posted By redz06
Dick,

I shot benchrest myself in the central region mainly in the 90's. Learned more in those years than the rest of my life in rifles. Twas a tough crowd, but none so forthright in giving knowledge/expertise......absolutely freely; no strings of any kind. Once you shoot a benchrest rifle, things are different sorta speak, which I am sure you experienced as well.

I really did not think of building a No.1 for benchrest/or other accuracy competitions, lots of things going against it, but can see how that would be the fun part; now that we have done most everything conventional. I hear some guys in the NW doing pretty good in rimfire matches with a specialized No.1, multi pins, shrouded short barrels, etc. I too enjoy the fun stuff, but have to admit, lots of things against the no.1 for real competition............do I really care, not much.....fun/knowledge/technique are the real drivers anymore. Lots of different aspects of fine rifles, takes time to enjoy them all.

I hear you about ammo in rimfire accuracy, but the more everyday aspects of rifles are kinda fun too. Guess tis why the service teams buy the multi pallets of 22lr to test in their Mann's.

I suspect that if your boy is in the ACGG, he probably knows how. I hope that you will hold to a supported chamber approach; all in all, not a lot to the conversion; most gunsmiths can do it if worth their salt.

I enjoy accurate rifles just like everyone else, but at my age and tenor; just is not everything for me anymore. Gotta have something different or something that some said I could not do on my own. I asked around for years on how to do a No.1 rimfire or who would do one for me...........zero response or worse.....so traded a rifle for an old lathe, and the rimfire project began.........slowly..........learning the lathe on your own without help is not overly easy, but now am comfortable in doing most things that way.

I hope you will find time for the rimfire conversion on a no.1, I think that you will be come fascinated with it.

You and I are on the same page re: benchrest in the 90's. I would never have thought of a No. 1 as a BR rifle till it shot so well in test firing with the pattern stocks. The Kepplinger trigger is a huge asset. Fought No. 1 triggers for too many years.

The Michigan ACGG guy is Steve Durren. I've been told he's the best No. 1 in the country. We'll be visiting him this winter. He's a competition shooter who uses an elegant high wall that he made in black powder competition. I have one pic of his high wall... lovely.

I have a line on two No. 1's, one that I will probably get and another that I really should. I have in mind a petite .22 squirrel rifle for carrying in the woods... seven lbs. prox with scope. I have the time to do it but getting the funds into my slush fund will slow things down. The metal work will be expensive. I will use my pattern for the butt stock (I really like the lines.) and a much smaller fore end.

Starting a project is fun... especially for an old guy.

Edited by Dick_Wright (01/21/17)

#11756436 - 01/21/17 Re: My 2017 project... [Re: Dick_Wright]
Dick_Wright Offline

This is Steven Durren's high wall that he uses in black powder competition. These are the best lines I've ever seen on a high wall... very hard to do. I've tried to do a couple of them and was spectacularily unsuccessfull.

Edited by Dick_Wright (01/21/17)

#11762366 - 01/23/17 Re: My 2017 project... [Re: Dick_Wright]
Dick_Wright Offline

The simple sketch I sent Charle re: the checkering pattern.

#11773668 - 01/27/17 Re: My 2017 project... [Re: Dick_Wright]
Dick_Wright Offline

Charlie called... the gun is now safely in Colorado and in his hands. I should get it back in a couple of months or less. By then there should be a few days warm enough to shoot it. Making this thing is just stage one of my job... Next I have to make it shoot well enough so I'm not too embarrassed at matches next summer.

#11787179 - 02/01/17 Re: My 2017 project... [Re: Dick_Wright]
Dick_Wright Offline

I shot this just before I packed everything up and sent it to Colorado, including the sketch. showing Charley what I wanted re: checkering pattern.

Charley called a few days ago... the gun arrived safely and he will proceed forthwith.

#11794163 - 02/03/17 Re: My 2017 project... [Re: Dick_Wright]
GSPfan Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Mid Michigan
Dick that a great rifle you have there. I don't have your skills that's why I write checks to Kip:). It makes me want another single shot and he has a Low Wall barreled in 17 if I recall correctly. It might be time to add another rifle. He did a spectacular job on a #1 for me a couple of years ago and several since. I feel inspired, thanks.....I think:)

#11798772 - 02/05/17 Re: My 2017 project... [Re: GSPfan]
Dick_Wright Offline

I saw one of your guns at Kip's.

Hopefully you can see this one at the ICSC this summer. Right now everything's on track for having it done and ready to shoot before the first match in April. I'm getting all the loading and cleaning stuff ready to use when the gun gets back from Charlie.

Alas, I can't find my ball mike in this mess. I need it so I can neck turn the cases just enough to totally eliminate any case neck wall thickness run-out. The cases are Lapua Match so there should be very little... in my experience with PPC brass less than .0005".

#11798905 - 02/05/17 Re: My 2017 project... [Re: Dick_Wright]
GSPfan Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Mid Michigan
I'm only 5min from there. When your going to shoot let me know. I have never done the egg matches but have thought about it some.

#11804671 - 02/07/17 Re: My 2017 project... [Re: GSPfan]
Dick_Wright Offline

I am planning on attending all the centerfire BR matches and all the egg shoots right now. Barring health problems or unavoidable conflicts, I will be there.

#11832252 - 02/17/17 Re: My 2017 project... [Re: Dick_Wright]
Dick_Wright Offline

Whilst I wait for the gun to come back, I am preparing brass and moly coating bullets so I can shoot when it arrives. I neck-turned the 100 pieces of brass just enough to eliminate any run-out in neck wall thickness.

This is the loading bench which is in my office and only a few feet (literally) from my shooting bench and range that are just outside the door.

Edited by Dick_Wright (02/17/17)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for AWESOME VORTEX OPTICS!
RV 160 1 2
Who's Online
531 registered (12344mag, 1911a1, 17_wizzer, 10gaugemag, 17Hunter, 51 invisible), 1203 Guests and 576 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RBCN 160 3
Forum Stats
57,342 Registered Members
73 Forums
775,519 Topics
11,304,508 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2017 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.