Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
It's Texas, his brands are registered, be hard to sell at auction, but they don't check brands at rendering plants from what he said. They cut lock, drove in, used his loading pens to load them on trailer. They had horses.

There's no statewide brand registration in Texas. It's by county.

And no state law to say the cattle have to be inspected before being sold.

They could drive them 300 miles away and run them through the sale ring with all expectation of getting away with it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Knock on a bit of wood I suppose, but no.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think my whole danged life has been a financial setback, really...mostly due to some bad career choices made long ago. It's getting better the last ten years or so but retirement is likely to be somewhat tight.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
ok, not to poke anyone in the eye, but the cows got stolen. they got shipped to a sale point. they got off-loaded and probably sent to a processing plant. wal-mart, ingles, kroger, sprouts, publix whomever agreed to display the animal parts in their meat dispaly cases.

so, the person who "failed" to protect his herd lost valuable assets.

there's people in downtown inner cities getting to eat beef because of how the process is structured. now, is that all that bad?

seriously, an asset that is valuable has to be secured, controlled, and looked after.

so, who failed to prevent the theft? anyone know for sure?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Gus
ok, not to poke anyone in the eye, but the cows got stolen. they got shipped to a sale point. they got off-loaded and probably sent to a processing plant. wal-mart, ingles, kroger, sprouts, publix whomever agreed to display the animal parts in their meat dispaly cases.

there's people in downtown inner cities getting to eat beef because of how the process is structured. now, is that all that bad?

seriously, an asset that is valuable has to be secured, controlled, and looked after.

Something is either yours or it ain't. Pretty simple unless you started shooting heroin as a draftee in the late 60's and have never stopped.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Got hurt on the job. Doctors would not release me to go to work. State workers comp decided they did not want to pay me. No unemployment as I was not able to work. Lost my Navy retirement as I was no longer physically qualified to finish my last 18 months need to get in my 20 good years. Cashed in my 401k and lived on my retirement for 4 1/2 years with no other income. I guess you could call it a setback.

As A side note a lot of crap came from some people here because I did not save more retirement and now I just get SS and VA disability. You know, the filthy leach thing. Kind of like the workers comp case woman that called me every week to tell me a honourable man would just take his life rather than be a burden to family.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gus
i got drafted one time into involuntary servitude by the war criminal johnson.

but, i survived and i prospered. instead of a real job out of college in which i had paid my way, i got a 100 dollar a month assignment.

but that dude is in the grave. if i ever find it, i might choose to dig the corpse up and shoot it over and over. it might help, right?

after that debacle, i've done very well, once i got back to my native Georgia.

Gus, I am sincerely glad you made it through that kerfuffle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When my first son ws born premature and was med-evaced to Denver for 7 weeks , we found out that my wife's school district employer saved money on their health care plan by capping coverages. Flight for life max benefit, $400, ICU, $900/day max benefit etc. That nailed us for over $150,000 and then two weeks after he was born I lost about $250,000 in a weather-related business event that wiped me out completely.

Fun times, but son is graduating high school this spring in the top 5% of his class.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Gus

Something is either yours or it ain't. Pretty simple unless you started shooting heroin as a draftee in the late 60's and have never stopped.

firstly my time served wasn't in the late 60's but plenty of people did serve time then.

plenty of heroin got injected by the rank & file, some were stateside from the beginning, and others were RVN returnees. it was ugly in the latrine every morning, but what to do? johnson didn't know either.

seriously, theft occurs. ya gotta keep up w/your stuff. and theft can still occur. armed break-ins, and car jackings is regular around here. be ready, or just give up the ghost, i reckon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes it seems like life is just a series of financial setbacks?

Everyone I know has suffered some. Some more than others, some bigger than others etc....

I do know a few that basically have not suffered any significant setbacks and they generally don't understand what others have gone through, in fact many blame the people with hardship.

Bad things happen to good people everyday.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by hanco
What is the worst set back you have had? I have never had a real bad one. My friend in Madisonville had all of his cows stolen last Tuesday. About 30 cows, I have no idea of their value. I'm sure divorces have whipped a lot of guys asses. Just curious!

Looks to be an ongoing problem there.

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/String-of-cattle-thefts-hit-Madison-County-388214142.html

They need to start killin' some rustlers and leaving them by their cattle trailers.

That'll deter it.

Speaking of killing rustlers, read Col. Chas. Askins Jr's account of his trip with "old man" Cox into Mexico to take care of cattle thieves and recover stolen cattle. It's in Unrepentant Sinner, the Col. autobiography. Interesting read. The Cox ranch was in S.E. NM, north of El Paso, near where the White Sands Missile Range is today.

No mention of the Texas and Southwest Cattle Raisers Assn (TSCRA)?

They're a good bunch to solve such things. We had affiliation with TSCRA when I was in the cattle business in Louisiana. They had a good reputation, probably still do.

DF

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by Gus
i got drafted one time into involuntary servitude by the war criminal johnson.

but, i survived and i prospered. instead of a real job out of college in which i had paid my way, i got a 100 dollar a month assignment.

but that dude is in the grave. if i ever find it, i might choose to dig the corpse up and shoot it over and over. it might help, right?

after that debacle, i've done very well, once i got back to my native Georgia.

Gus, I am sincerely glad you made it through that kerfuffle.

yes, thank you. and i think you are sincerely glad. not many folks gave a damn one way or another. i saw a lot of young lives lost due to drugs, stress, or whatever. but, i survived because of the Fates, or whomever.

but, still it was two years lost, and the war-criminal johnson is still to blame. no forgiveness, ok?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My divorce put a hell of a financial strain on me as well as just breaking even on the sale of the house.. It took over 5 years to recover from it..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been very fortunate. Always been able to make it through the tight spots, due mainly to having started working for a solid company from the get-go that paid well and offered excellent benefits. Never had to worry about layoffs or cutbacks. For my part, for 40 years I showed up, did my job, and tried to give them their money's worth. Never got rich, but am almost seven years into what will hopefully be a long, enjoyable retirement on a decent pension and SS.

Regrettably, opportunities for that kind of security are pretty scarce for young people these days. Periodically, I remind my sons to save their money, 'cause they're gonna need it!

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I always worked thru every one, sometimes meant working 2 full time jobs 7 days a week and my wife and I eating rice and beans for every meal

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Gus

What an [bleep].

I laugh at your stone ravings sometimes, and you seem(ed) like a harmless enough guy, but this is a douchy thing to say.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I lost my home to a flood in 2006. No flood insurance. Not in a flood zone. 183,000 dollar loss. Would have been paid off in 2008 and I would have been debt free at that point.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

laugh

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
. . .Something is either yours or it ain't. . .

pretty much it right there^ ^ ^ ^ ^
i don't hold with thievery whatever the reasoning or "logic".
thieves need to be planted right beside murderers

Last edited by Ranger99; 02/17/17.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
We lost about 80,000 when 911 happened.

Took years to get that back and pull ahead again.

Things have been put in place so that does not happen again,I HOPE.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

724 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12savage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 75 invisible), 3,119 guests, and 1,469 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,739
Posts18,476,029
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.