Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
gsfxst Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I bought a rifle from a relative she said it was made in the mid 1950s for her father . they picked it up in Arapaho Co.
At the shop where the rifle was made. Its a CZ VZ24 action. the stock is French walnut full-length. High cheek piece. the barrel. Is marked 30-06 .Nothing else. a gun smith said that the barrel looked like a surplus Johnson military barrel.(He has worked on them) she said her father picked up the rifle early he was going hunting in Canada. he was supposed. to tack the gun back to have the stock checkered. but never did I've had the gun apart there's no markings on the stock or on any metal. the gun was made by a very skilled craftsman .but no marks . Any one have any info or a opinion off who made rifles in that area of Colorado. back then.

Last edited by gsfxst; 02/20/17.
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Pictures would help.

DF

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Oh good lord, that's like asking how many oranges would I have if I bought some. Pics are the first place to start.

And it's undoubtedly a VZ-24. BRNO never did a VZ-25.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gsfxst
I bought a rifle from a relative she said it was made in the mid 1950s for her father . they picked it up in Arapaho Co.
At the shop where the rifle was made. Its a CZ VZ24 action. the stock is French walnut full-length. High cheek piece. the barrel. Is marked 30-06 .Nothing else. a gun smith said that the barrel looked like a surplus Johnson military barrel.(He has worked on them) she said her father picked up the rifle early he was going hunting in Canada. he was supposed. to tack the gun back to have the stock checkered. but never did I've had the gun apart there's no markings on the stock or on any metal. the gun was made by a very skilled craftsman .but no marks . Any one have any info or a opinion off who made rifles in that area of Colorado. back then.

BTW, welcome to the Fire.

If you need help with posting photos, send me a PM.

If you can take a picture and email it, I'll get it posted.

DF

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by gsfxst

It could be almost anyone. The used-gun market was crazy after WWII because GI's who hadn't been able to hunt for years were suddenly back home with time and money on their hands. Sporting arms production also had not yet returned to pre-war levels and wartime price controls on new goods had not been lifted.

Under those circumstances, a lot of GIs studied gunsmithing on the GI Bill, then hung out a shingle. Some were good, others went out of business quickly. Mauser bring-backs were a common starting place, and a lot of them used surplus American military barrels because they were cheap, they had .308" bores, and quality was good. Also, not all of these guys built entire rifles--some did only metal work and others did only stocks, so it could have been a group effort. But without pics, we can't tell you much more.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B2

G
gsfxst Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Ill try to post photos soon.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 3,003 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,479
Posts18,471,757
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.