Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you're worried about a train wreck, bring a second complete stick.

My 2-10 HD5 held up to a lot of testing on my 340 and then guided a single 250gr Gameking into a nice Yukon moose last fall.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like "horse" is the problem, not "scope".

LOL
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Always carry a spare on a money hunt. A particularly tough scope can still get rolled on by a tougher horse or destroyed in a tumble. Have killed one on a hunt...and the brand would not have mattered at all.

I bring a LW 6x36 Leupold or a 3x20 in rings for a backup.

Defend the Constitution
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
While you have the glass dialed in just shoot the horse then go hunting! No need for a backup

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Buying the Nightforce would just mean a bigger ticket item for the aforementioned horse to target, if he was really inclined to destroy your optics, and then there would still be no backup.

Just use any scope as backup. A fixed 6 power would at least let your hunt continue. Save the money for your taxidermist.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
How many that are commenting have actually used the small NF NXS? They are not even close to the same as a Swaro/Leupold/Zeiss/etc.

With that NXS in my experience, if the rifle is usable, the scope is usable. Using solid piccatinny rings/bases, there's a high possibility that it'll still be zeroed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The scope in question has 3 knobs?

All capped?

How far out do they protrude?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
So I have a Zeiss hd5 2-10x42 ready to go atop the 338 win mag I am having built right now for a Northern BC Horseback moose hunt I have in September this year. Knowing how tough horses can be, how remote we will be, and how much this hunt is costing, I was tossing around the idea of taking up a back up scope. I have a couple options I have tossed around, but it just seems to me less is more and I would love to not take up unnecessary items.

So here is thinking of Plan B. Sell the Zeiss, bite the bullet, and purchase a Nightforce 2.5-10X42 w/ illumination and IHR. I realize that all scopes can fail, but it seems the odds are FAR less on a top end Nightforce product. The scope wouldn't really be bought with the idea of dialing and long range hunting, more of pure reliability and repeat ability with top notch glass that hedges my bets of not failing on this hunt. Thoughts? If the NF was like 1k-1200, I would have already pulled the trigger, but the model I want retails for $1950, so its a huge purchase and thus being not sure.

My family has ranched here in Idaho since 1904. We've extensively horseback hunted that entire time. In ALL that time, the only horseback related failures have been broken stocks. I'd say 7 or 8 in 112 years. Curiously, two of those were mine...a POS Sako TRG-S that broke at the grip when the horse fell into a tree, and a M70 Supergrade that slipped out of the saddle and split like a $2 whore when it hit the trail.

As to the extra scope stuff.. I carried a Leupold 6x36 in a lined PVC tube as a backup throughout my career, which spanned 32 years on 5 continents, harvesting some 48 species. That scope, when I pulled it to put on a rifle for my kid after retiring and returning home was FUBAR...kind of funny when you thnk about it.

I've also had a trigger fail, and a firing pin seize up.

SO, in 32 years literally hunting the world on pack critters, boats and bakkies, one bad trigger, 2 broken stocks, and ONE bad scope, that was discovered at home after packing it for a quarter million air miles...:

I'd recommend a Nightforce scope, a McMillan stock, a Shilen trigger, a Murphy scabbard, HUNG PROPERLY, and quit fricken worrying about comets falling from the sky!!!

If you're still gonna worry, specifically related to horses and backcountry, I'd carry an extra f'ing stock and trigger rather than a scope...

But...WTF do I know, I'm not from Ohio Michigan, Texas, etc...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
So I have a Zeiss hd5 2-10x42 ready to go atop the 338 win mag I am having built right now for a Northern BC Horseback moose hunt I have in September this year. Knowing how tough horses can be, how remote we will be, and how much this hunt is costing, I was tossing around the idea of taking up a back up scope. I have a couple options I have tossed around, but it just seems to me less is more and I would love to not take up unnecessary items.

So here is thinking of Plan B. Sell the Zeiss, bite the bullet, and purchase a Nightforce 2.5-10X42 w/ illumination and IHR. I realize that all scopes can fail, but it seems the odds are FAR less on a top end Nightforce product. The scope wouldn't really be bought with the idea of dialing and long range hunting, more of pure reliability and repeat ability with top notch glass that hedges my bets of not failing on this hunt. Thoughts? If the NF was like 1k-1200, I would have already pulled the trigger, but the model I want retails for $1950, so its a huge purchase and thus being not sure.

My family has ranched here in Idaho since 1904. We've extensively horseback hunted that entire time. In ALL that time, the only horseback related failures have been broken stocks. I'd say 7 or 8 in 112 years. Curiously, two of those were mine...a POS Sako TRG-S that broke at the grip when the horse fell into a tree, and a M70 Supergrade that slipped out of the saddle and split like a $2 whore when it hit the trail.

As to the extra scope stuff.. I carried a Leupold 6x36 in a lined PVC tube as a backup throughout my career, which spanned 32 years on 5 continents, harvesting some 48 species. That scope, when I pulled it to put on a rifle for my kid after retiring and returning home was FUBAR...kind of funny when you thnk about it.

I've also had a trigger fail, and a firing pin seize up.

SO, in 32 years literally hunting the world on pack critters, boats and bakkies, one bad trigger, 2 broken stocks, and ONE bad scope, that was discovered at home after packing it for a quarter million air miles...:

I'd recommend a Nightforce scope, a McMillan stock, a Shilen trigger, a Murphy scabbard, HUNG PROPERLY, and quit fricken worrying about comets falling from the sky!!!

If you're still gonna worry, specifically related to horses and backcountry, I'd carry an extra f'ing stock and trigger rather than a scope...

But...WTF do I know, I'm not from Ohio Michigan, Texas, etc...

I'm also compelled to add, that my fondness for classic Sako actions was a source of amusement to my friend Alan Dat, who got me to admit, after siting his factual, eye witness accounts, that I've seen multiple accounts of scope/mounts sliding right off the Sako dovetails after trips on bakkes/boats/planes/copters...

Last edited by Journeyman; 02/22/17.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 41 invisible), 2,248 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,959
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.