Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Absolutely true. I feel the same way- but I draw the line at M93 Spanish Mausers!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

It is your money sport, do as you will...just don't bitch when you post and invite comment.

And since you haven't asked, the actions and bolt are deep case hardened (carburised) so good luck with obtaining an appropriate Rc for a low carbon steel.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I was already well aware of the fact that such actions were case hardening, and can be read in my earlier posts in this thread. What I was hunting for was a modern measure of what such hardening should be. Given that the Rockwell methods can be used to do this, and are fairly universal familiar to gunsmiths, I thought that I would ask for that information first, before moving on to searching for more esoteric standard references like Vickers or Knoop hardness traverse methods.

And I was not “bitching”. I was pointing out in what I though was a gentle fashion, that your comment was not helpful to my inquiry and that as enthusiasts we should celebrate our different follies rather than be dismissive.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

You are right...have a good life.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Clayton2017
Comments like that always make me wonder: what is it about us that we can so casually dismiss the wants and ambitions of other out of hand? I suspect that were we all to subscribe to the same sensibilities the world would be a safer, quieter place, and terribly dull.

I want to build a thing a certain way, not for acceptance or admiration by others, but because it appeals to my sense of aesthetic, and the idea of it being pleases me. No other justification is needed, or for the enthusiast, needed.

If you come here seeking guidance, you're likely to get a wide range of feedback.

Having built a couple dozen rifles on SR pre-1898 Swedish military and commercial, Husqvarna 640 "strengthened", actions, I feel pretty confident in offering feedback based solely on my experience with them. I'm a fan of the Swedish actions because they were never built under wartime conditions and they were always built to the highest standards of materials and manufacturing. Despite their excellence, they retain the basic design flaw of all pre-1898 SR Mausers, in that they don't handle escaping gas as well as the 1898 style Mausers. This flaw can easily be mitigated by installing a commercial style bolt shroud with a larger gas shield during the build.

I am not a fan of Spanish-built Mausers of any sort and feel that none of them, even the commercial Santa Barbara LR 98s, aren't equal to the Swedish-built Mauser actions in either materials or manufacturing. The great majority of Spanish-built SR pre-1898 style military Mausers that I have seen over the years have been in rough shape, so I have a bias against them and certainly wouldn't recommend building a rifle on one of them if there were viable alternative actions available. For example, if someone was looking for a 243, I'd recommend the Marlin XS7s that CDNN is closing out for $250 over almost any 243 built on a used military action. Whatever you choose to do, good luck with it.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I built a rifle with a 95 action that uses the 7.62x39 case.
It shoots a 75 grain bullet at 3025 FPS all day long in a dog field.

Don't know what the pressures are but have not noticed any bolt stress.

Just last year i built a 300 sav.on a Swedish 38 or 96 i forget what model.
It might not be in the same pressure range as the 308 win.it is fun to shoot.
That said if one chooses to shoot the 308 in a 93-95 Mauser i would not want to stand close by.

One more thing it's your project do it as you will,just have fun.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For me, having seen more than one Spanish small ring with set-back, I would stay away from anything of higher intensity than a .35 Remington. That said, a rifle built like you describe in .35 Rem. would be pretty sweet. If anything, the fact that full-stocked .35R bolt actions don't exactly grow on trees would tend to justify the build in my estimation. I would probably keep it stupid simple with just a receiver sight as well. Really trim and light, with balance. My opinion. Imagine hunting that in the woods with snow coming down.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have heard several guys talk about doing the 7.62x39 conversion, and I know that quite a few have been done on SMLE actions as well.

I liked the visual you painted. It does indeed have appeal.
Midway no longer offers the Green Mountain Series 2 barrels in anything other than the 7x57 in a lightweight F-17 profile, so as they available “off the shelf”, and the price is very favorable, I am going to go with that and have it trimmed down from 21 to 20 inches.

As an aside, can anyone educate me on the technical merits of cocking on opening vs closing?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dayton-Traister makes a cock-on-opening kit for pre-1898 style Mausers that is easy to install if you have access to a mill. I install them on all of my Swedish Mauser builds.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I'll check it out.

The reason I was wondering is one of the comments was someone saying that they preferred their bolts set up for cocking on opening. That got me wondering about what the merits of one over the other.

Last edited by Clayton2017; 02/27/17.
IC B3

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I did up a Marlin XS7s for my Father that I bought from CDNN. I had it restocked in bedded pepper laminate stock from Boyds and topped it with a Weaver K6. It made for a somewhat heavy outfit, but it shot extremely well, and the trigger was superb.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The Mauser brothers must have felt that COO was superior to COC, since all of the 1898 style Mausers were designed that way.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Yeah…but why?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Safer, the striker is less likely to ride over the sear in a COO than a COC. Just one of the improvements made in Peter Paul Mauser's Magnum Opus, the Model 98.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I've been watching these slow motion train wrecks involving shot-to-sh*t Spanish Mausers for about a half century now. If I had a dollar for every one I witnessed getting sporterized, seen at gun shows for next to nothing, and tripped over in low rent gun shops, I could take the whole lot of y'all out for drinks. It's actually quite good theater.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Here is a pic of one of my train wrecks...

Lee Enfield custom restocking, #6a
http://www.mpistocks.com/newproducts.htm

No one will ever want it for what I paid to have it done (action polished and slicked up, Montana Rifle barrel fitted, new sights, a Huber roller type trigger, and MPI did a custom stock for it). But I still love it and it gives me loads of enjoyment, even when the weather outside is lousy and I can't get out to go shooting. Prints at between 1" and 1.5" with Wolf .303 soft points using the Williams adjustable peep sight.

My last project was engraved and English walnut stocked Mossberg Maverick rifle in .308 Win.

To paraphrase what other here have told me: its' your train wreck, so enjoy the ride.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I've been watching these slow motion train wrecks involving shot-to-sh*t Spanish Mausers for about a half century now. If I had a dollar for every one I witnessed getting sporterized, seen at gun shows for next to nothing, and tripped over in low rent gun shops, I could take the whole lot of y'all out for drinks. It's actually quite good theater.

Wrong answer...correct answer is "you are right, have a good life".

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Dayton Traister kit can be installed using a dremel tool and taking your time. The instructions aren't good, but I used a 98 bolt as an example. Getting the angle right and polishing it are the details.
I had to get a Wolff 24lb spring as the Dayton spring wanted to bind inside the bolt.
The main advantage is shorter lock time. Though that is a questionable improvement. I can tell the difference in lock time from my unaltered Husqvarna, but I don't think the rifle is better and won't bother doing it again. Just practice good hold and you shouldn't need it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Clayton,
Have you considered doing the rebarrel and polishing, then having the whole shebang Black Nitride/Melonite treated?
Since the Mauser action design was to have surface hardening for wear and a mild interior for yield strength, it might be worth talking to one of the companies that specialize in this. It's the cat's meow, preferred over chrome bores for AR barrels and bolt assemblies these days.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...tride&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.2664j0j8

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 47 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,078
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.