Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Nothing wrong with shooting some steel cased ammo.

With the old lacquer covered steel cased ammo, the lacquer was never the issue. You could not scrape off the coating. Someone even tried to get it to melt with a propane torch. No melting. Just another internet myth.

The issue with steel cased ammo is that the steel cases would not seal well in the chambers, caused carbon to build up in the chamber. Shoot enough, get enough build up and you cold get a stuck case. All you would have to do is run a chamber brush to removed the build up.

This is carbon build up on a brass case, which was fired in a rifle after shooting a lot of steel cased ammo. This is NOT lacquer.
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BarryC
What is the bullet jacket made out of in Wolf steel cased handgun ammo?

The Russian stuff is copper washed steel.

Last edited by NVhntr; 02/07/17.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve_in_PA

With the old lacquer covered steel cased ammo, the lacquer was never the issue. You could not scrape off the coating. Someone even tried to get it to melt with a propane torch. No melting. Just another internet myth.

The issue with steel cased ammo is that the steel cases would not seal well in the chambers, caused carbon to build up in the chamber. Shoot enough, get enough build up and you cold get a stuck case. All you would have to do is run a chamber brush to removed the build up.

This is carbon build up on a brass case, which was fired in a rifle after shooting a lot of steel cased ammo. This is NOT lacquer.
[Linked Image]

Wow, lacquer that won't melt at 3,600 degrees F. Who'd have guessed.
NASA needs to get some of that Russian lacquer for the next space shuttle.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve_in_PA

[Linked Image]

Whatever it was that came out with the solvent when scrubbing it vigorously was thick and sticky. Coffee with cream colored. It also completely filled the spaces in the bore brush in between the bristle rows.

I don't think that was powder. wink

Never encountered that before with any of my other guns, and that M-4 was the only rifle I ran that through to any extent.

I don't doubt that they were not able to "melt" any off with a torch. The torch would simply burn the lacquer off the case.

It wouldn't drip down.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

this guy shoots way more than most guys do in actual real world conditions. He shoots lots of steel case. Why because he actually shoots his guns instead of pretending to be a range nazi.

a "Nutnfancy" video..?

Love how the guys dresses up for his "real world" conditions, towards the end of the video, for plinking in the desert by wearing a chest rig/pate carrier/body armor, completely covered in molle straps, with his handgun mounted on his chest.

It would be hard to find a bigger poser, playing dress-up, on the internet. The fact that some people view him as some sort of "subject matter expert" in the field of weapons and ammo is a pretty sad commentary on the intelligence level of his followers.

I have been on some pretty exciting coyote hunts, but cannot ever recall needing a plate carrier/body armor...

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Those desert coyote can be pretty shady...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for everyone chiming in on this. As for me, I don't shoot enough that it's going to be a big issue. I'm going to just stay with brass cased ammo. For all the more I shoot, I can afford the price difference.

For those looking for pricing on cheap steel cased ammo, WalMart sells 20 rnd. boxes of Tula for $5.47 each. I'm guessing the big quantity drums of surplus stuff are cheaper, but I just thought I'd pass this on in case anybody wants some.

I'm buying their Perfecta brand brass cased stuff for $14.98 there with my assoc. discount. It's a 50 round box.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For my purposes I'll stick with brass. At the moment I have over 2000 5.56 cases waiting to be loaded. Half are new LC I picked up for $70, the others are a mix of factory stuff my daughters and I have shot and (mostly) once-fired I picked up at the range. (Gotta love it when two guys blow through a stack of factory ammo boxes, loading multiple 30-round mags and then shooting them empty as fast as they can.)

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Expensive brass cased ammo is most likely 'better ammo', and from several different reasons.
Even so, I have fired a lot of steel case ammo in my AR 15 rifles, my AR180B, and in my Mini 14.
Not the 20K per year that competition shooters might expend, but probably a lot more than the casual weekend shooter.
I have yet to have to replace a barrel, or ruin an AR with steel cased ammunition.
I realize other folks will have different experiences (real or imagined), and I wish them well with what ever choice they make. smile

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shoot steel cased ammo occasionally, but only in CL or nitrided barrels, not in my stainless rifles.

I also lube the case of the top round in each mag to help insure no stuck cases & I'm not shooting fast enough to generate excessive heat either.

MM

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I use some Hornady steel match 55 HP ammo for use in the winter time just so I'm not tempted to hunt for spent brass in the snow. It shoots pretty good in my RRA and I won't use that much of it. I think I've 200 rounds on hand.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
a "Nutnfancy" video..?

Another hero lost..grin

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Anyone notice how the table that guys got his rest on (in that video) is moving like crazy? It's always amazed me when i see someone with a rifle rest (sandbags, etc) and they've got it mounted on a card table. Never will understand what they're thinking.

As far as AR ammo, I like my rifles, so I feed them brass/high quality ammo. If you have the desire to get into reloading, it won't be an issue. -TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks TomT. Going to just run brass. I might buy some cheap stuff for "just in case" but don't plan on using it unless I just can't get the good stuff.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 34 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.