-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've told my family that simple and inexpensive is fine with me, but to do whatever gives them the most comfort. I'll be gone, and I won't care. Funerals are for the living, not for the dead.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by moosemike
Cremation. I'm claustrophobic and the thought of being buried in a casket totally freaks me out.

Had this discussion with my mother.... Who is typically British in all ways BTW

Do you want to be buried? OOOh NO! I couldn't stand to be put in the cold, damp ground, could I!?!?!

OK! You want to be cremated? The thought of being burned up is horrible!!!!

Alright! ??? What's left?? How about burial at sea??

Well.... I can't swim, can I???

WE have agreed she will be cremated.

As for me and the missus...... we will be cremated, the girls can take whats left and throw it off a cruise ship in AK, we'll pay for the trip.

have informed ALL, that is all no exceptions. If you put me in charge of your final affairs there will be NO, repeat NO open casket, viewing, whatever..... you want one....pick someone else.

A side story:

I was a Flight School manager at the local FBO for a while, charter pilot, Flight instructor, etc.

Got a call from a guy that wanted to fly about 30 miles off shore, over the Gulf, and then come back.

OK! come on down.

Couple hours later a priest shows up???? Carrying a box?

So we load up in the Skyhawk and off we go.

Once we pass the edge of the Sawgrass, about a mile past dry land, he says this is far enough!?!?!

So I open his window and just as I begin to explain----- '...I'll open my side add a little right rudder, get a some flow through ventilation, then you can pour...'

All I got out was '...I'll open.............' and then there is this dust storm of a tornado inside, and it sounds like we're flying through a hail storm as 'stuff' blows in, rattles around and some hits the tail.......

he had the bits and pieces of 'several'..... and not sure about which, what and who....but a lot ended up in the shop-vac.....

Plan well, and leave specifics.....

Last year scattered my BIL - around a pine tree in the Game Preserve, it's what he wanted...

Last edited by muffin; 02/26/17.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Cremation, with ashes mixed in a bucket with concrete with a brass plate that has "Mr. T" (that is what wife calls me) and dropped on one of cones out of Port Canaveral. Caught a lot of fish out there.

Browning X-Bolt .30-06
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS

Tikka T3x Lite 308 win
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Not so much with disposing with the body, but I'd like all to celebrate a life lived well.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I'm anticipating after the incident, there won't be enough left to bury!

laugh

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cremation, and my wife and kids know where I would prefer the ashes spread. But I also told them to do whatever makes them happy, as I won't be there anyway and won't be around to have any regrets.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Cremation, Simple.

Same, Wifey said I'm not ever leaving this farm, She's gonna put me in a can up on the fireplace mantel. eek grin

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Prop me up against a tree in the deep woods let the critter take care of me

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
As a retired funeral director, I heard from virtually every family simple and inexpensive, and I can identify with their feelings. No matter visitation or not, cremation or burial, your first question SHOULD be: Is this funeral home privately owned?

There's a huge movement within the funeral industry where formerly "mom and pop shops" are bought up by large corporations. The building may be the same, some of the employees may be the same, but I'll tell you one thing, the level of service and the prices will NOT be the same!

As was pointed out earlier, use a day or two to research places you might be interested in handling your services, and comparing prices. Most corporate funeral homes attempt to steer families into a "package" which might include many items that you simply do not need. Although it might be nice that a fancy urn is included in the package, a identical urn can most likely be purchased online for less than half of what the package charges. Be careful, keep your eyes open.

For immediate cremation, many areas have businesses that cater to that wish and nothing else. The savings can be substantial, with only a store front and less employees as overhead.

Ask for price lists, they're federally mandated to be offered the customer.

And, being a funeral director, I opt for immediate cremation as well. Simply my choice, and nothing wrong with that.

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Inexpensive casket. Open if there is enough left in a presentable form. Simple evangelistic service at the church. Already have two of the songs picked out. Buried in the family cemetery on the back of the farm.

As noted above, funerals are for the living. Hopefully a celebration of a life well lived (I'm trying to do my part grin). Topped off by one of my favorite activities ... a potluck dinner back at the church where hopefully many stories and tales will be told and enjoyed by children, grand children, and great grand children...

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
cremation, I hope my wife (and hopefully grown kids) and a couple of closest friends take me up some remote mountain in the southern ADK's drink a beer or two and tell some stories and set me free.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The specifics of what I and my wife want are detailed in our trust so the boy's will know precisely what to do. In brief, cremation for both.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by littlecmonkey

There's a huge movement within the funeral industry where formerly "mom and pop shops" are bought up by large corporations. The building may be the same, some of the employees may be the same, but I'll tell you one thing, the level of service and the prices will NOT be the same!

Big business.

Seen that happen to most of the family owned funeral homes.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cremation, my ashes scattered with those of Ingwedog on our favorite creek. Money set aside for my friends to have a wake/party.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
One thing about it, if history is a lesson, I'll be late for it!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cremation, and party for the lucky survivors. Open bar, plenty of great food, good music, and hopefully someone will remember some good stories. If not, I hope someone will be a good liar......

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Inexpensive casket.

Cardboard casket inexpensive enough? grin

http://eeternity.com/

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The Funeral Rule (enforced by the FTC)

*You have the right to buy separate goods and services, and you do not have to accept a package that may include items you do not want.

*The funeral provider cannot refuse to handle a casket or urn you bought online, at a local casket store, or somewhere else — or charge you a fee to do it. The funeral home cannot require you to be there when the casket or urn is delivered to them.

*For burial, please check local cemeteries, as they are not regulated by the FTC; some cemeteries may be against families' burying their loved ones in eco-friendly caskets.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If I can't just be lost and forgotten out in the wilderness somewhere, then one of these on the back of a lobster boat.

[video:youtube]_bA6RmsV6R0[/video]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

339 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 16penny, 260Remguy, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,686
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.