Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He earned his rest. Rest in peace.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I'm sad.
I still refer to "Pet Loads" every time I test a new to me cartridge. Ken was my mentor in my mind as far as getting my start in reloading. He was very thorough in the way he worked up loads and such. Each cartridge had a "story" along with the rifles he tested them in. I've tried many cartridges based on his praise for them.
I always wished I could have met him, or at least dropped a letter in the mail to him.
R.I.P. Ken

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
When I started reloading- as a young man in the Army- his work and love of the art ensured my success at the bench..

R.I.P

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember buying Pet Loads about 10 years ago and not being able to put it down. About 3-4 years ago, the wife of another 'fire member texted me and asked what I thought her husband might like for Christmas. Without hesitation, "Pet Loads." I'm not sure it's ever left his bathroom.

Ken, I'd fire off a 7-30 M94 in your honor......if I could find & afford one. Thanks for all of your amazing contributions. Two of my favorite handloading books are PL and Ken Howell's book on metallic cartridges. Two huge losses in a short period of time.

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I often think about the sheer volume of work that Mr. Waters put into a Pet Loads article, the pounds of powder and bullets, the hours at his press and on the range, and then writing an article that was so informative. There was never a question about shortcuts or assumptions. How many mistakes do you find in that body of work? The man set a high standard, a very high standard.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
May God be with you and you with him Mr. Waters. Your writings continue to bring much pleasure to my life.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Like many other members of this august group, I, too sat at Ken's knee (figuratively, of course...) and learned much about handloading and just shooting in general. I have two copies of "Pet Loads"... One in my office within easy reach, and one on my loading bench. I suspect that he is now sitting around with Wayne Schwartz and discussing the relative merits of shooting, ballistics and who knows what. Even tho' I would sometimes get frustrated with some of his opinions, I still admired and respected him.

Certainly, a life well lived... Godspeed, old friend!

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Z
Z
Wow! Almost a hundred years old...what a full life. Ken thanks for writing and doing all the work you did for the common person in shooting and hunting. RIP.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 3,324 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,479
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.