Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I'd trade you one of my Daybreak Pots for the HS Pot I lost in MO years ago in a Heart Beat..
That call was a Blister Pack Anomaly..

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by akrange
Shaman is a Wise Ole Gobbler Hunter..

Thank you. Mind you, I do not make any claims on being an expert turkey hunter, only an expert at being a beginning turkey hunter. The only claim I make with the Shamanic turkey calls is that I guarantee the turkeys will not laugh at you.

One other hint: A lot of what makes a good pot call is in the striker. Again, these don't have to be specially lathe carved 1 piece works of art, but this is where the exotic woods come in handy. I monitor the turkey call making forums and pick their brains what what's good for striker material and then order cheap dowels of the stuff and cement them onto cheapest handles I can find.

[Linked Image]

Left to right
1) Osage Orange
2) Bloodwood
3) Cherry
4) Persimmon
5) Diamond Wood

The latter is a pre-made 1-piece striker I found while I was ordering stuff from Shipleys. It's the bomb. However, I would also recommend collecting as many different strikers as possible. A handful of strikers in the bottom of your bag is a lot easier to carry than a dozen potcalls. That whole picture there is less than $20 in materials and less than an hour's work.

What have I actually used to kill turkeys?
Hickory, Diamond Wood, and Cherry, with Purple heart as probably the best all time.

What surface been successful calling in turkeys?
Damn near all of them. Slate and slate over glass have probably been the top producers. However, I've also brought them in with glass, aluminum and copper.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been most impressed by Hank's calls. Glass. Easy to play and keep going.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Popapi
Originally Posted by wildcat33
This spring will be my first attempt at turkey hunting. I raised some turkey a few years back so I feel like I have a decent knowledge of turkey vocab and out of the different kinds of calls the slate calls sounded best to me.

I've been researching calls and there are a dizzying variety. Looks to be some good info on the old gobbler forum and a lot of forum members that make their own calls. What do you all recommend? I'd prefer something under 100$ and hunter made (or another way to say, not big brand stuff like primos or cabelas type stuff).

Look @ Halloran's stuff!!!!!!
http://www.davidhalloranturkeycalls.com/potcalls.aspx

Gonna give a x2 to Halloran's calls. I got the Metal Mouth pot call and it's the best sound call I got.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just order a Hank's from Midwest Turkey Supply. It's the aluminum one. It was the NWTF winner a few years ago.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
By far my best pot call is a blister packed Adventure slate with an old Quaker Boy Maple striker. The striker is at least 20 years old and if a bird wants to come home with me this rig will be his downfall. Been using this rig for over 15 years and only use other calls if its raining, or nothing is happening.
IMHO, woodsmanship is at least 70% of successful turkey hunting, and calling the rest.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
received my Halloran crystal mistress the other day, that thing sings.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by MOGC
The best wet weather call is a mouth diaphragm.
Yep

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." -Thomas Jefferson
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I know you said you would prefer a "hunter made call" but i would highly recommend the knight&hale ol' yeller pot call. Easy call for the beginner to start using...I would know because that's what i started with and still use it. here's a link
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/259606/knight-and-hale-ol-yeller-classic-ceramic-turkey-call

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." -Thomas Jefferson
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,543 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,720
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.