Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I'm not looking for a brand, but for opinions on magnification, etc. Just wanted to kick this around for fun.
But if someone has a particular scope in mind by all means tell us.

I would go with a fixed 6X40 or so. AO is a plus, but 100 yard parallax is a deal breaker to me so without AO it would have to be a short parallax scope. A medium duplex is good, fine no good. One with a small fine portion is very good be a use it stands out well on shadowy shots and gives you a second aiming reference if you need to go long.
Why 6X over 4X? Small targets :-)
Why not a variable? I don't see that I need it & why worry about POI changes with magnification ranges and degrade light and image transmission with extra lenses?

But I'd like to hear from everyone who has an opinion.

Thanks in advance
Kragman

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My preference would be an older Leupold M8 in either 8xAO or 10XAO since their AO adjusts down to 25 yards or so. I have one of these scopes on my ground squirrel rifle (CZ 452 in 17HM2) and it works great on shots from almost the end of the barrel out to 150+ yards. It would have been an awesome combo to have growing up in New England 50 years ago...LOL

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I'm a Southern New England guy, and I get what you're saying. I've shot squirrels at ranges from 20 feet to pushing 100 yards, but mostly up close and sometimes 3 or 4 all at once. Not that I got them all - I'm not exactly Ad Topperwein.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've always like lots of magnification for those times when all you have a shot at or view of is a little piece of a squirrel peaking out from behind a branch or a bush or rock. They can be sneaky little suckers, and a little extra magnification can sometimes outsmart them.....

I prefer a 6 x 20 or thereabouts on my squirrel rifles, but I've got a couple Weaver V16's on my 2 favorites and they are the cat's whiskers for this type of hunting.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I am probably the odd man out, but I do have an opinion. grin I have 2 scopes I prefer, a Burris 6X compact mini with AO, or a Leupold FX II 6x36 with the parallax set for 40yds. Rings are usually Leupold rimfire lows or if the rifle requires a base such as the Rem. 504 then I go with Burris Z rings in low. All of my Squirrel rifles have that setup on them.
I prefer to stalk Squirrels and will get as close as possible. I'm can be very patient. grin
On paper at 50yds. my groups with a 6x scope pretty much equal what I can shoot with a 24x scope with everything pretty equal as the target below shows. Both rifles were cleaned then shot using the ammo they perform the best with. Wolf MT is what both shoot the smallest groups with. These are 5 shot groups.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by K22; 02/27/17.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Leupold 6x36 with the parallax reset if that is an issue for you.

Case closed.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the best scopes for Squirrel Hunting is the Hawk Air Rifle Scope with fine AMX Reticle and AO down to 7.5 yards. These scopes are built like a tank.
http://www.airgundepot.com/hawke-optics-airmax-ev-3-9x40-ao-scope-hk5172.html

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I put a Weaver Classic 3-9x AO on my BRNO #2 and am very happy with it. I keep parallax set at 50. The only thing I would change would be the reticle- from medium duplex to a simple fine crosswire. It usually stays set on 9x.

[Linked Image]

I often use my Winchester 52A with 12x Fecker parallax adjusted for 50 yards. The mounts for these target scopes (Unertl, Fecker, Litschert, etc.) were the original turrets- spin them up and down with positive micrometer/clicks.

Top one:

[Linked Image]

The lower rifle is a Savage 19-33NRA with a 10x Litschert.

Obviously I fall into the school of higher magnification. Sometimes all you get to shoot at is a little beady eyeball peaking over a branch.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/28/17.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
just tossing out a couple alternatives:

1.5X6 might work very well; small, compact, lightweight - yet should be enough power..

Since you didn't really mention the distance involved, for short range squirrels (30 yards or less) a variable red-dot might work well too. I have one of those on my 22 pistol and squirrels have little chance at that range..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by kragman1
I'm not looking for a brand, but for opinions on magnification, etc. Just wanted to kick this around for fun.
But if someone has a particular scope in mind by all means tell us.

I would go with a fixed 6X40 or so. AO is a plus, but 100 yard parallax is a deal breaker to me so without AO it would have to be a short parallax scope. A medium duplex is good, fine no good. One with a small fine portion is very good be a use it stands out well on shadowy shots and gives you a second aiming reference if you need to go long.
Why 6X over 4X? Small targets :-)
Why not a variable? I don't see that I need it & why worry about POI changes with magnification ranges and degrade light and image transmission with extra lenses?

But I'd like to hear from everyone who has an opinion.

Thanks in advance
Kragman

Pretty much the same, a 6x42. I do like the ability to dial elevation, but use it more when playing on targets than when chasing squirrels.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I hate to admit it, but an ounce of 6's out of a 12 gauge works pretty good too...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I consider myself a serious tree squirrel shooter and my #1 tree squirrel rifle is a Marlin 917M2S that I installed in a Boyds Rimfire Hunter stock and mounted a Weaver V16 in Warne Maxima fixed rings and the Weaver bases that came on the rifle. Now that 17HM2 ammo is more easily found, I'll be shooting it more regularly than I have for the past couple of years.

I like the 4-16x magnification range and the AO on the V16. If I was going to shoot a rifle with a light/sporter contour barrel, I'd probably opt for a physically smaller scope, maybe a Weaver RV9. I have Weaver RV7s on a couple of mannlicher stocked Ruger 10/22s and think that it is a good scope, but without the AO it isn't a precise.

I have the inexpensive, $150+/-, Sightron S1H 4-12x40AO on several rifles and think that it is a good scope, particularly for the price, but not quite as good as the V16.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
On the other side of the squirrel tree is my German kiplauf in 5.6x35R (.22 Hornet). I shoot nothing but cast bullets through it, 55 grainers @ a bit less than 1800fps.* I think of it as a souped up .22RF Magnum. Needless to say, it knocks squirrels ass-over-tin cups. The optics I opted for is the Chinese clone of the old discontinued Redfield 3/4" 4x. I think it's actually a better scope than the Redfield was and costs 1/3-1/2 as much (when you can find the old Redfield today). The original Redfield was/is a 3/4" tube and was actually built for use on centerfires, but I suspect they were/are used mainly on .22's.

I sometimes feel handicapped by the 4x, but it serves well. I wanted a dainty scope to put on a very dainty rifle (5 pounds with scope).

[Linked Image]

* The gun has an odd bore, but fairly normal by European standards: .226 groove diameter (I use .227 diameter bullets), with a 1-9" twist. Built in 1934. Groups well under an inch at 50 yards. Longest shot taken was an even 80 paces- it splattered Mr. Squirrels brains across the log.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/28/17.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Gnoahhh, you are killin me here.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
All of my 22s are working guns but they are all accurate, some very very accurate. And while I love shooting little groups it seems that a good squirrel rifle has to be fast and accuate, and have the right glass.

Does anyone find it an advantage to use or stick with one magnification just to keep things cosistent? As I get older I think that's good thing. That's why I went fixed 6X this time.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I like the old Leupold VariX2c 4-12 with AO

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by kragman1
All of my 22s are working guns but they are all accurate, some very very accurate. And while I love shooting little groups it seems that a good squirrel rifle has to be fast and accuate, and have the right glass.

Does anyone find it an advantage to use or stick with one magnification just to keep things cosistent? As I get older I think that's good thing. That's why I went fixed 6X this time.

I started doing that many years ago. Started with a 4x rimfire scope....Leupold and Burris, then discovered 6x, that is where I stayed.
To me, this was the finest Squirrel rifle scope ever made.............

[Linked Image]

This is on a Mauser 201 and I have the same scope on a KDF K22, plus on a custom 581 Rem.
Since these are discontinued I've gone to the Leupold 6x36 fine cross hair and parallax set at 40yds. Also a very nice scope. No problem sniping Squirrels peeking over branches.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I fell into one of those Burris' about 10 years ago. I agree - a very good scope. I have mine one a 582

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Lucky you. grin And nice rifle. Those ol' 580 and 540 series Rem. are hard to beat. Very accurate.

Burris needs to make that scope again. The one on my KDF has the extra fine duplex that Burris installed for me way back when....... blush
Another has the fine cross hair with a dot while another has the standard duplex.
I would buy more of them if I could find some.

The 581 custom with the 6X Burris AO compact.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
On the other side of the squirrel tree is my German kiplauf in 5.6x35R (.22 Hornet). I shoot nothing but cast bullets through it, 55 grainers @ a bit less than 1800fps.* I think of it as a souped up .22RF Magnum. Needless to say, it knocks squirrels ass-over-tin cups. The optics I opted for is the Chinese clone of the old discontinued Redfield 3/4" 4x. I think it's actually a better scope than the Redfield was and costs 1/3-1/2 as much (when you can find the old Redfield today). The original Redfield was/is a 3/4" tube and was actually built for use on centerfires, but I suspect they were/are used mainly on .22's.

I sometimes feel handicapped by the 4x, but it serves well. I wanted a dainty scope to put on a very dainty rifle (5 pounds with scope).

[Linked Image]

* The gun has an odd bore, but fairly normal by European standards: .226 groove diameter (I use .227 diameter bullets), with a 1-9" twist. Built in 1934. Groups well under an inch at 50 yards. Longest shot taken was an even 80 paces- it splattered Mr. Squirrels brains across the log.

I asked about those "GruBee wolf pup" Chinese knockoffs of RFC, but got nothing but grief from the nice folks over there.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,425
Posts18,470,717
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.