Ronald Reagan
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by colorado bob
You could have borrowed my Tikka. smile

Yea, I know. I wanted to bloody my AR, but thanks anyway. I might have to get one some day. I've got to let my credit card cool off for a while. After the trip, I went out and bought a fancy shotgun so I could keep up with you.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Bring it next year. I'll bring the clay pigeons. smile

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Looks like you all had fun. Pig shooting is fun. They do scurry around, especially when they are caught in trap pen. They go crazy when you start shooting!!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We used to have to put double high cattle panels on our pens when I trapped for the state! Like they say go to shooting and they will climb to the moon if they can get a toe hold

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
7RM
63.0g of IMR 4350
Rem 91/2
Rem case
Touch the lands with a 154g Hornady spire point
Accurate!

Will shoot through both shoulders on large hogs

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
This is what made me change: I first started aiming behind the shoulder. I thought pigs were tough, because a lot would run off. I changed to head shots. Most were successful, but I obviously missed some. I knocked one down, but it got up quickly and ran off. Two weeks later I shot a pig from the same stand. It was the same, size shape and color as the one that ran. It had a scar/crease in front between the eyes. It was almost dark so I aimed at the shoulder. Dead pig. I star aiming to take out a shoulder and what's between. That was several years ago. Since then I've killed every pig I've shot at. Captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Going to Burnet this weekend, I hope to catch more pigs. Gonna bow hunt some also. I like the way they squeal when stuck.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
WE actually switched from AR's to shotguns with buckshot too many richocetts and it was faster, as the whole point was to get as much lead into the pen, in the shortest amount of time anyway, esp if there were 12 or 15 in there!!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Done in lots of unpenned pigs with shotgun and buckshot.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That's the most fun you can have (with your cloths on), there is! Open up with a 7 shot semi auto with various buckshot, watch the piecies fly ears here tail there GOD IT IS FUN!!!!!!!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had 7 or 8 in pen once. Used my muzzle loader on them. That was fun. That Savage blew big holes in them. Was a little slow. A couple of guys whined about shooting pigs during deer season. Silencer fixed that.

Last edited by hanco; 03/22/17.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mohick
WE actually switched from AR's to shotguns with buckshot too many richocetts and it was faster, as the whole point was to get as much lead into the pen, in the shortest amount of time anyway, esp if there were 12 or 15 in there!!

I've posted this before.

My hunting buddy has a unique method for killing penned hogs.

He walks up on the trap, stops before they start running around, usually 15 yds or so. He uses a scoped .17 HMR with FMJ's (cheap plastic Salvage). He visualized a line between their eyes, aims 1" above midline, lines up the target to miss the pen wire and fires. Pig hits the ground, eyes poked out on stems, weird looking. No squeeling, little or no blood. He waits for the next opportunity, takes his time, kills them all.

All the blood, squeeling, shooting, running, confusion is avoided. And, he doesn't mess up the trap with gore and blood everywhere such that they won't come back. His killing trap is still pretty neat and tidy.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I've posted this before.

He walks up on the trap, stops before they start running around, usually 15 yds or so. He uses a scoped .17 HMR with FMJ's (cheap plastic Salvage). He visualized a line between their eyes, aims 1" above midline, lines up the target to miss the pen wire and fires. Pig hits the ground, eyes poked out on stems, weird looking. No squeeling, little or no blood. He waits for the next opportunity, takes his time, kills them all.

All the blood, squeeling, shooting, running, confusion is avoided. And, he doesn't mess up the trap with gore and blood everywhere such that they won't come back. His killing trap is still pretty neat and tidy.

DF

ssshhhh now, you may feel a little stick. laugh

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I've posted this before.

DF

No no no. It can't be done that way. It would never work and it makes way to much sense to do it that way.

(its the way I do it too, but 22 instead of 17... and with a can these days)

I"m fairly sure you might be able to bring a gator to the surface and pop one too without all that extra tusssle, but I've never seen it done so may be wrong there.

Who would ever think about doing it slow and calm... LOL.

I got "shot" once with frags from a 22... an old timer that I figured knew better, got panicky with about 5 in a pen and shot kind of my direction and hit the wire... I got frags in my arm. No biggy. But I expected much more of an old timer. ....more common sense etc...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
People get excited sometimes. I've been hit by birdshot a few times.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Such a bizare hog killing could get out of hand.

Makes one wonder, who's more excited, shooters or hogs.

Gotta be a better way... laugh

DF

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
There are guys that will get in there and get them by the hind legs. Not me!

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
I had 7 or 8 in pen once. Used my muzzle loader on them. That was fun. That Savage blew big holes in them...

How much fun is shooting fish in a barrel?

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I wouldn't touch the disease ridden, $hit piles when they are dead let alone alive, one ever bites you, you might just as well put the gun to your head, be quicker than a lingering death, from the $hit those disease ridden vermin carry!!!

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 21, 62 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,414
Posts18,470,481
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.