Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
laker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
A couple of friends and I are wanting to go do an Aoudad hunt. We would prefer to do it self guided with just paying the trespass fee. What are some of the outfitters that you recommend that you can go do the self guided thing with?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mulie Mike here on the campfire. Good guy with lots of places.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Laker, I believe there are hunts like you are looking for in North Texas.. But I don't have any info.. I also know at one time New Mex. was offering over the country permits.. This may have stopped as it was a pretty long time ago.. Aoudads are some of the toughest game I have hunted.. Have fun looking forward to the pics.. The Mashburn would be perfect!!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Mulie Mike would be my recommendation for a DIY hunt. Did one on one of his ranches a few years ago.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very nice ram!! Mike is the way to go from what I see here!!

Molon Labe
IC B2

L
laker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
its amazing how those things just match the terrain

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by laker
its amazing how those things just match the terrain

Yeah, they blended in well. Your binos will get plenty of use.

A few scenery pics:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Laker, they are tough to see and extremely wary.. Once when I was hunting in Texas quite a bit, we were on a ranch that had been hunted little in the last 6mths.. We pulled up on a ridge to glass, and immediately spotted several dozen of these sheep on a far mountain that was fairly flat.. Elk, big horns, most deer would have just looked us over and went on eating.., Those sheep bailed off the flats into the deepest, steepest canyon they could find.. Best of luck.. You are young and tough, do it now before age gets the best of you...

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
At the Texas Outdoor Writer's Conference weekend before last, the director in charge of that kind of stuff was bemoaning the fact that there are so many Aoudads, as they compete with the Big Horns TPWD is trying to "re-introduce". A member based in Laredo confirmed that he was seeing a bunch of them, also.

I would second (or is it third now?) contacting Mulie Mike.

Mike

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
There is getting to be a lot of them around Burnet, they scare the white tails off. I didn't know they could jump fences so easily. Killed one with my bow in December.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Ive only done them OTC in New Mexico which is a lot of fun but ive seen a place in Texas called "hunt Audad" which seems low frills and fairly affordable depending on your budget. If I wanted a quick trip to bag a few Id give them a call.

http://www.huntaoudad.com/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the recommendations guys much appreciated. We do offer some great guided, semi guided and self guided hunt . Those self guided hunts are extremely popular do book fast but the semi guided hunts are good deals too.
www.westtexashunt.com

Specializing in Free Range hunts in far west Texas for Native & Exotic Game. Hunts for All budgets with Financing available.

www.westtexashunt.com

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
Ive only done them OTC in New Mexico which is a lot of fun but ive seen a place in Texas called "hunt Audad" which seems low frills and fairly affordable depending on your budget. If I wanted a quick trip to bag a few Id give them a call.

This is a good place to get a good f ucking, not a good hunt. Chris Leland is a low life lying stealing POS.

David

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunted those damn things once during my days off for an entire month in the southern Sacramento mountains when tags were otc. That $90 tag (back then) was better than a gym membership. If you think you are in excellent physical shape, chase barbery sheep for a while to realize what your fitness program lacks! They are there, but never even got within artillery range. Skittish, real skittish! (And a lot of fun to hunt in beautiful county, I would do it again)

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Canazes9

This is a good place to get a good f ucking, not a good hunt. Chris Leland is a low life lying stealing POS.

David

Really? I had no idea. I just saw his company on facebook and checked his website. figured i might look into him because I want to get my dad out for Audads when I go back south since heprobably wont draw for NM Ibex.

What did the guy do can I ask? Glad to get a heads up.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
He booked/guided mule deer/aoudad hunts on the his property and another property that I leased (with full exclusive hunting privledges). Before we figured out what was happening we had the local sheriff interupt one of our hunts due to another access complaint from one of Chris's neighbors. Plan on him being stoned most of the time your hunting and acting appropriately paranoid. He is an absolute low life piece of schit.

Call Mulie Mike, you will regret having any association with Chris Leland.

David

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Canazes9
He booked/guided mule deer/aoudad hunts on the his property and another property that I leased (with full exclusive hunting privledges). Before we figured out what was happening we had the local sheriff interupt one of our hunts due to another access complaint from one of Chris's neighbors. Plan on him being stoned most of the time your hunting and acting appropriately paranoid. He is an absolute low life piece of schit.

David

Well then I guess Ill avoid him. Looks like I can take my dad to OX Ranch to hunt Audads for only ~500 dollars more and they seem to have a good reputation. Thanks for the heads up.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

David

Well then I guess Ill avoid him. Looks like I can take my dad to OX Ranch to hunt Audads for only ~500 dollars more and they seem to have a good reputation. Thanks for the heads up. [/quote]

You ought to take Canazes' advice and call Mulie Mike. Free range West Texas is the only way to hunt aoudad IMO, not some high fenced operation in the TX Hill Country like the OX Ranch.

Good luck and have fun with whatever you choose.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'll just say again to give Mike a call if you are serious about aoudad. He has many ranches at different levels of difficulty and prices. You won't be disappointed. You also don't have to worry about the competency of your guide. My daughter and I have hunted with Mike and 3 of his guides. We have had 4 great hunts through Mike.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I'll just say again to give Mike a call if you are serious about aoudad. He has many ranches at different levels of difficulty and prices. You won't be disappointed. You also don't have to worry about the competency of your guide. My daughter and I have hunted with Mike and 3 of his guides. We have had 4 great hunts through Mike.

Cool, Ill talk to Mike. If it was just me, Id go OTC in New Mexico but my dads getting a bit old for that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,794 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.