Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by xphunter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
this is a hunting forum last time I looked. most big game hunting scopes max out around 12-15x in power. the question is why would you be coming off max power if your going to make a long range shot? if that is the power range your working with. That is not enough scope power to need to dial down from it. now if we are talking high power 6-24 or greater scopes I see your point. with the scope range I talk about above, you will get a sucky reticle in low light on low power and the hash marks will not be usable anyways. at least with SFP the reticle is usable. just crank to max if shooting beyond 300 yards, which a guy would probably want to do anyways even if cranking the turret.

I did make my 16 pound rifle comment as somewhat serious. look at all the 34 mm tubes your seeing and chassis rifles. pretty soon its going to be 40mm scope tubes because you know bigger is better. add in a 6# chassis system. Yes all for guys who walk 50 yards from their truck and never shoot out in the field.

When I hunt, I typically keep my magnification at a lower power (Not always the lowest power), so if something pops up close, I am ready to go at a lower magnification with a greater field of view.
Many guys who have used traditional BDC reticle in SFP, do the same thing, then when an animal shows up at longer distance, they FORGET to turn their scope to either the highest power or to a specific power, so that the subtensions of their reticle will be correct and then they either miss or wound animal.

This has happened to a lot of folks in the field when under pressure to make a shot on game.

I have made this mistake myself in the field in the past.

With a reticle in FFP, you don't have to worry about having to remember to change your magnification, since it stays the same at all magnifications.
This has nothing to do with wanting to be Wanna-be, Mall Ninja, Tactical Ted or anything else.
For those wanting a good BDC reticle for hunting, FINALLY some companies got it right.

Good thread, thanks. Probably surprising to some, but I learned something here. Had never heard of or thought about a FFP BDC.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You are welcome Bob.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Good write up. It has me thinking about the Burris scope. I have a NF with velocity reticle but it's sfp. In the woods I have it turned down but keep on 10 in the field. I understand bdc reticles in sfp aren't ideal like ffp. That said I can make hits from 100-600 yards with just the reticle. Pretty cool. Can also dial with it but don't normally till I get past 600.

I think I really like the scope you pictured. Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
This past Friday with a Tikka T-3 Hunter and a Burris Veracity 3-15 (Their ballistic reticle in FFP).
http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/veracity-riflescopes-series/veracity-riflescope-3-15x50mm
Only mod has been a trigger tweak.
Load development was done on Friday, then we chronographed, and I adjusted the 100 yard zero 1/4 MOA (1 click) up, so that the drops would line up at 500 yards.
Went to the range, and shot steel (1-shot per distance): 200, 300, 400, and 500 yards.
All were center hits or barely off center (more than solid shots for killing game, even with a quartering tail wind using the reticle only.
Cool thing is you can do this at whatever power you want. Targets at 200-400 was 10" steel, and I shot the other larger target at 500.
Fast shooting for sure, basically cycle the bolt, move to the next target and press - Thwack!
For guys who don't hunt past 500-600 yards a good/simple ballistic reticle/BDC reticle that is in FFP is a good option for those who don't want to dial or holdover.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I haven't used a ballistic reticle for quite a while now, but used a 2-10 Veracity about 3-4 years ago and was impressed.

The target with the 3-hits at 500 yards was the last three rounds we had left, and my good friend Dan shot this, doubling the first and third shot.

the shooting scenerio you describe is exactly why competitors favor FFP and makes perfect sense. more of a dynamic shooting situation. for inexperienced guys I see your point. next time I get a chance I will look at this scope in the story. although for me I seldom shoot at specific ranges like 300, 400 etc. rather its a rock at 386, or a rock at 438. I also don't forget what power my scope is on. its usually either low or high. sometimes I do add some power to my NXS compact when I pop a coyote that is 200 yards or greater, generally bumping to 5 or 6x.

the big question is what does the reticle look like on 3x. this scope looks like it offers a modular type dial system when you can mix or match covered turrets or dials. I would be interested how the scope tracks with those on.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Good write up. It has me thinking about the Burris scope. I have a NF with velocity reticle but it's sfp. In the woods I have it turned down but keep on 10 in the field. I understand bdc reticles in sfp aren't ideal like ffp. That said I can make hits from 100-600 yards with just the reticle. Pretty cool. Can also dial with it but don't normally till I get past 600.

Kaleb,
You are welcome.
You can also dial with the Veracity.
Mine has 25 MOA per revolution.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Kaleb,
You are welcome.

are the capped turrets easily adjusted with your finger in the field?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Kaleb,
You are welcome.

are the capped turrets easily adjusted with your finger in the field?

yes

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The shooting scenario you describe is exactly why competitors favor FFP and makes perfect sense. more of a dynamic shooting situation. for inexperienced guys I see your point. next time I get a chance I will look at this scope in the story. although for me I seldom shoot at specific ranges like 300, 400 etc. rather its a rock at 386, or a rock at 438. I also don't forget what power my scope is on. its usually either low or high. sometimes I do add some power to my NXS compact when I pop a coyote that is 200 yards or greater, generally bumping to 5 or 6x.

the big question is what does the reticle look like on 3x. this scope looks like it offers a modular type dial system when you can mix or match covered turrets or dials. I would be interested how the scope tracks with those on.

Tracking has been good for me so far, but I haven't tested that enough for me to say.
First time out with this scope and the rifle, I just wanted to use the reticle. I used a 2-10 Veracity just after Burris came out with the Veracity line on a custom 300 Win Mag, and both the rifle and scope performed as expected. I dialed some then, but still I used the reticle the majority of the time.
The main reticle is easily usable on 3X, and I could even use the BDC if I so desired...which I don't see the point in that.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
looks like alot of elevation in one turn of the elevation. do they have any type of zero stop or limiter that can be added?

IC B3

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If SFP variable scope ballistic plex manufacturers would place a detent at even magnifications, it would be great.

I wouldn't have a problem doing a dope chart for my plex's at different magnifications as long as I know I can return to the exact magnification when needed.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Zero Stop? Yes!
Model #200636 uses the new Burris M.A.D. Knob System
Mine has the M.A.D. system.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/m.a.d.-system

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RWE
If SFP variable scope ballistic plex manufacturers would place a detent at even magnifications, it would be great.

I wouldn't have a problem doing a dope chart for my plex's at different magnifications as long as I know I can return to the exact magnification when needed.

True.
In the heat of battle/shooting under pressure at game, it is great to NOT have to worry about such things with a good reticle in FFP.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
looks like alot of elevation in one turn of the elevation. do they have any type of zero stop or limiter that can be added?

25 MOA in a revolution

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (16penny, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 163bc, 54 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,869
Posts18,497,528
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.