Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I recently bought a thousand fully processed military .223/5.56 cases. The pockets were swaged, they claimed, to remove the crimp.

So I go to prime the cases with CCI 400 primers but the primers were really hard to seat. It felt like a two-step process, as if the primer had to get past an obstruction before seating. When I examined the seater, I found these:

[Linked Image]

Little crescents of brass shaved from the primer pockets.

I have no experience with military cases, but it seems to me the primer pockets haven't been swaged properly. I'm willing to accept that I'm doing something wrong, but when I swapped out the military cases for some of my prior brass the primers seated smoothly.

So is it me or the brass?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably the brass.
You can make your life easier by getting a nice, multiple-flute countersink (mine's a Stanley, 5 flutes, forget when I got it, long time) and banging through the whole batch. You don't have to skin off much (see your shavings) but the 45 degree bevel also helps seating.
I just put the countersink in the drill press, run it at pretty fast revs and "bzzt" it for a second at most with consistent hand pressure and time. The trick is to be pretty close to "square" -- just "bzzt" off enough that you see a shiny ring all around the pocket. If the ring is all the way, you're good. Not all the way? A little more "bzzt."
I set up the work table on the press pretty high, this is to minimize hand motion and also as an arm rest of sorts. But you need to be careful, no long sleeves or rings. I have two containers set up, one full, one empty, "bzzt," peek, flick the finished case into the other container.
The other factor might be the primers. I can't remember, but one of the SR primers I use seems to be a hair "fatter" and needs to be seated carefully. Might be CCI 400s, but I use them anyway in my 223s because they give really good results, nice groups.
But I have attacked a number of crimped batches in this way and have had no problems with gas leaks or other scary things.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I recently bought a thousand fully processed military .223/5.56 cases. The pockets were swaged, they claimed, to remove the crimp.

So I go to prime the cases with CCI 400 primers but the primers were really hard to seat. It felt like a two-step process, as if the primer had to get past an obstruction before seating. When I examined the seater, I found these:

[Linked Image]

Little crescents of brass shaved from the primer pockets.

I have no experience with military cases, but it seems to me the primer pockets haven't been swaged properly. I'm willing to accept that I'm doing something wrong, but when I swapped out the military cases for some of my prior brass the primers seated smoothly.

So is it me or the brass?

P

You know it's the brass. I don't even deal with military chit anymore. Too much of a damn headache...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do the same thing that Dave does. It does not take long and you don't have to do it again.

I find LC 5.56 cases to be more consistent than most commercial brass and they last a long time.

Michael

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I paid for fully prepped, by golly I'm getting fully prepped.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's between you and your seller. Incomplete crimp removal is your problem.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Yep.

This brass is less than "fully processed".

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

I see it differently. I paid with a MasterCard, I'll be sending the brass back.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If he advertised fully processed with crimps removed he didn't give it to you. Hold them to their advertisement.
Might just be a mistake, but he still owes you what you paid for.

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Pharmseller, I agree that this is incomplete crimp removal. I've had that same thing happen to me a number of times (I used exclusively CCI primers for years until the shortages of the last presidency) when I cut the pockets, but cut too little from them. So, cutting pockets sometimes forced me to remove more metal than I wanted to in order to avoid this issue. I also experienced this issue some when I used an RCBS primer pocket swager. I have not had the issue at any time since moving to a Dillon primer pocket swage.

The point? The processor didn't deliver what they advertised, and it may be that they would benefit from a different tool (or better set-up). The equipment issue is obviously not your issue. That's just an information-sharing observation.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I kind of agree that's not fully processed. If you don't like the handwork and that's something you wanted to avoid, by all means -- begone.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,334
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.