-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Spent three days scouting antelope, hunted 20 minutes. Came home. OK with me.

LOL
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Spent three days scouting antelope, hunted 20 minutes. Came home. OK with me.

Done this many times. One year we had three six point bull elk down within the first 20 minutes of legal shooting time, scattered over seven miles of mountains that we had scouted hard for the previous four days. Each of us went after a specific bull on opening morning.

And then a couple of years ago I spotted a shooter buck as it got light when I was a few minutes late driving to where I planned to hunt. Stop, got out, got legal, bang.

If its a gift, take it if it is the kind of animal you want. I love to sleep in if we are camping, cook, help others pack meat, shuttle a vehicle to a pick-up point, go fishing, etc.

Last edited by Okanagan; 03/09/17.
P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A few years ago I tagged out on my best bull elk before the sun was peeking over the horizon and so did my uncle. We spend the next few days working around our outfitters place repairing an old dump truck, splitting wood, building fence and catching a bunch of trout from a series of high beaver ponds. It was a great trip that we followed up with a quick run up to Wyoming to fill 6 pronghorn tags in a day and a half of hunting on alfalfa fields. The truck was loaded on the way home.

Perry

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The thing about tagging out on the first day, is that on the last morning of the hunt,... you are tagged out smile

Be Safe,

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I killed a small buck opening day back in 1990 on a bowhunt with friends here in Missouri.

My buddies threw shade on me for killing a small buck on opening morning and for literally killing off my next 6 weeks of bowhunting bliss.

I had a young family back then and money was tight so I bundled up all my stuff that Saturday and headed home with my deer to cut up....it was no doubt hot on October 1st

The next day rains set in for the next week and my buddies told me they sat in the rain soaked tents and gear that week wishing they had tagged out like I did.

To this day I have no issue cutting my tag on day one.
You can't eat a day on the calendar. But you can eat a legal animal that comes your way, regardless of weather it's the first day or the last day of a hunt. Here in Minnesota, party hunting is legal. As long as one member of your party has a valid, unfilled tag, you can continue to hunt after filling your own tag. Sure makes for some extra opportunities to spend time afield.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (3333vl, 44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,504 guests, and 861 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,749
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.