Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Ok, so I am getting a little heavier around the waist and thinking about a new 9mm Single Stack pistol to carry. (Could be just an excuse to buy another pistol) Opinions on what I should take a look at and why?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Kahr.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Hunt41Ram
Ok, so I am getting a little heavier around the waist and thinking about a new 9mm Single Stack pistol to carry. (Could be just an excuse to buy another pistol) Opinions on what I should take a look at and why?

If for holster carry and you're a 1911 fan, the CCO, ECO or Guardian are impossible to beat for the money:

http://danwessonfirearms.com/products/

….if for pocket carry…..well, get bigger pockets and carry one of the above. :-)

My wife has a Shield and seems to like it alright although I'm certain that we'll end up with a Glock 43 just because. She also has a Kahr T9 which is too big for pocket carry IMO, but a well made gun. The problem with all Kahr's is that the trigger re-set is so uniquely long that if you shoot almost any other handgun with some regularity, the odds of you short-stroking the Kahr are very high. If the Kahr is the only gun you shoot, no problem.
JMO-YMMV.

BTW, I don't know where in northern Colorado you are, but if you haven't been to the Liberty Firearms Academy: https://www.libertyrange.com---you need to go there ASAP-----it is stupid-big and has the largest retail outlet of guns that I've seen anywhere. It's also plush but not too expensive. It's just off of I-25 at Loveland. Remarkably, the staff seems to actually know a little about guns too---maybe not as much as the employees at Jensen Arms in Loveland, but better than going to Cabela's, etc.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The best out there now is the Glock 43. The Ruger LC9S Pro, is also a good one. Slightly more compact, but not as good a shooter as the Glock. Clearly Glock has better aftermarket support, which should tilt you that way.

I have a Kahr P9, and it was the very first of this type on the market ... very innovative in its time, but at this time the cutting edge belongs to Glock on this type.

I don't have an S&W Shield, but it's a good one too, I understand.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I wear an extra large glove, and find the G43 to be a bit small for me in the grip. Wish I had gone with the G26. I had a Kahr K9, and the previously poster nailed it, the trigger pull is extremely long for a pistol.

CDNN has a sale on the Walther PPS both the original version and the M2. Supposed to be a really nice single stack in the M2 version, and CDNN has it for less than I paid for the G43.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Over the years I have carried several different single stack 9mm pistols to include SIG P6, P225, P239,Kahr CW9 and this past year I have been carrying a Walther PPS M2.
I really like the ergos of the Walther, it fits my hand better than the Glock. I keep it in a DARA IWB holster and it is my daily carry.
I like the Walther PPS M2 so much that I bought another one as a spare.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S&W Shield...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sig P225 is nice.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I really like my kahr cw9. it's accurate, and about the smallest gun I find easily "shootable". I don't pocket carry, I just don't see the need for it. I have a simple clip on Blackhawk iwb that is very comfortable to wear and a Mitch Rosen Belt slide.

to be honest I really don't carry it all that much though, much preferring my P226, and lately a P229 in 357 Sig

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for the Kahr CW9. I carry mine in a galco IWB sto n go. Pretty shootable in my use of it. Carries pretty well.

Regards,

Tom
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hunt41Ram,

FWIW,
Between my son and I, we own three M&P Shields, in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45acp. Barrel lengths are 3-3.3", weights are around 21-23 ounces, and they carry and shoot like a dream. Mine is the .45, and the trigger on it is exceptional for a striker fire handgun. I've been carrying mine in a N82 Tactical Pro holster, and hardly remember that it's there IWB. The 9mm is a tad shorter and lighter than the .45, but not by much.

Other than size, reliability is a major factor, and these Shields just work, period.

Over 1 million of the Shields have been sold since they came out, in 9mm, then .40 S&W, and now most recently, .45. S&W seems to be on its way to dominating this sector of the market, it would appear from sales.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hard to go wrong with either the Glock 43 or the Shield. I had a Shield and also picked up a 43. For me, I am able to shoot the Glock better than I could the Shield and I have large hands also. I ended up trading the Shield.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kahr CW9, S&W Shield, or Glock 43.
All are reliable; pick the one that suits you.

The Springfield XDs might also be worth a look but I have found those above a better fit for me.

Last edited by NVhntr; 03/13/17.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another vote for the Kahr CW9. Most of the single stack 9’s are fairly close in width so that point is moot but I like to have all three fingers on the grip. Everybody's hands are different so that may just be an issue for me. But that little bit of extra length in the grip really helps control the pistol and IMO it also gives a bit of extra help when you have to unlimber it from under the love handles – I must be getting lovelier since mine are getting bigger these days.

FWIW, I have a CW9 and a CM9 with the little two finger grip and these are the issues/differences I noted with them.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
After handling the Shield and a Glock 43 I went with the 43. I find it ideal because it's small enough for pocket or holster carry, but is big enough for me to shoot as well as a full sized duty pistol. Over the years I've tried an M&P compact .40, a 642, and a Kahr PM40 for the little gun niche in my carry strategy and they've all been wanting in one way or another. This little Glock is perfect for me. I'd say handling both of these pistols would be a good starting point.

Last edited by pabucktail; 03/13/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd throw the Ruger LC9s pro into the mix. A compact 9 with a spare mag is easy to carry and with 8+7 on tap decent firepower in a small package.

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Thanks for all the input. I think I have a place to start....sounds like 3-4 good options for the most part. I will try the ones suggested and see what seems to fit my hands best.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by tominboise
Another vote for the Kahr CW9. I carry mine in a galco IWB sto n go. Pretty shootable in my use of it. Carries pretty well.
Essentially identical to the P9, except it's like an economy version of it. I've had the P9 since it's first introduction, and it's been completely reliable after untold thousands of rounds. I've had two small parts breakages/wear-outs, but those parts were originally made of plastic, and Kahr switched to steel, and replaced them for the newer steel parts on mine.

I have nothing bad to say about mine, but a friend of mine had one that was a lemon and he finally (after a couple of trips back to the maker) dumped it at a gun show.

I personally like the trigger, as it reminds me of a nice double action S&W revolver. If you cut your teeth on such revolvers, you should be able to adapt well to the Kahr. If you cut your teeth on Glocks, then not so much.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kahr TP9, Shield, and XD in that order. However, it's close enough that the current Springfield promotion for 4 free magazines, holster, and mag pouch would be tough to pass on (Springfield says $180 worth).

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Glock model 43 or S&W shield.I have both in 9mm they have been flawless.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When someone states that, in their opinion, something is best, they are correct.

When someone states, as fact, something is the best, question it and research it. It is usually his/her opinion also. They just present it as fact.

I have owned all mentioned so far in this thread and all have their pluses and minuses; but, all have been good recommendations. People always recommend that you try them all and see what fits you best. That is always good advice; but, it is not always practical. At a minimum, go to a well stocked store and at least fondle them and see which feels best. Chances are that if you handle some of or many of those mentioned herein and find one that fits you well and points/aims well for you, that will be likewise reflected when you shoot it.

Since you asked everybody's opinions, of all of those mentioned herein, my favorite is the Walther PPS M2. Why? I shoot it more accurately than all others mentioned.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 03/13/17.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The G17 and 43 did not shoot great for me, CW9 better. I have done decent with another persons G17....

Everyone has to try various models to see how they fit, and preferably how they shoot them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive been carrying a Sig P938 for a while. Pleasure to shoot and carry.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm a big fan of the Shield.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
My big hands hate the kahr trigger

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

I liked the feel of the shield I had, but it was damned tough to manipulate the controls on mine. and forget loading that last round into the magazine. and that safety was next to useless

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I had the pm9, very accurate, long trigger pull. I have G43 and Shield, close but I prefer the G43.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What's your budget? What features are you fond of?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

I liked the feel of the shield I had, but it was damned tough to manipulate the controls on mine. and forget loading that last round into the magazine. and that safety was next to useless

What safety? After 4-500 rounds my magazines load easy enough. Ergo's are perfect for my medium size mitt. I've owned the Kahr for several years, shot the Glock and Ruger quite a bit and for me the Shield is nigh on perfection. The Shield knocked the M&P 9Compact out of the rotation immediately. And I don't miss the 9C one bit.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Rent and shoot them!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hammer or striker, with safety or not?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I really like the Glock 43.

You need to handle and fire some so you can see what fits you.

Last edited by alwaysoutdoors; 03/13/17.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The best out there now is the Glock 43. The Ruger LC9S Pro, is also a good one. Slightly more compact, but not as good a shooter as the Glock. Clearly Glock has better aftermarket support, which should tilt you that way.

I have a Kahr P9, and it was the very first of this type on the market ... very innovative in its time, but at this time the cutting edge belongs to Glock on this type.

I don't have an S&W Shield, but it's a good one too, I understand.

I own all three. The Shield and the Ruger are better shooters than the Glock 43.

I REALLY like how the Shield shoots. I shoot it about as well as I shoot my G19, which is a LOT better than I shoot my G43.

The Ruger has the best trigger. I have the PRO version without a safety.

YMMV

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Glock 43 for me.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Kahr.
+1

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Springfield XD(M)

Don't buy anything until you check this one out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Kahr.
+1

This is how I roll.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Wait a month until Taurus puts it's new Spectrum on the market. looks like a winner for CC.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I sort of liked the Shield also, but I went with an SCCY CPX-1 instead. Two extra rounds and almost the same width as the Shield. 15 Oz to the Shield's 17. I can't really compare them as to actual shooting, but I think you could not go wrong with either.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
When someone states that, in their opinion, something is best, they are correct.

When someone states, as fact, something is the best, question it and research it. It is usually his/her opinion also. They just present it as fact….

Wise words, those.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Thanks for all the opinions and input. As gmoat suggested I stopped by Liberty Firearms Academy last night on the way home.I drive by that exit off I-25 every day and didn't know the place was there.....opened last July. Great looking place that I will check into further. Anyone in Northern Colorado that hasn't checked it out should.

I handled the Spfld XDS and XDM, Ruger LC9s, Glock 43, Walther PPS M2, S&W MP Shield and the Kahr CW9. Tough choices! The Ruger didn't fit my hand, didn't necessarily like the grip safety on the Spfld....but would appreciate thoughts on the safety because otherwise it fit my hand well.I like the size of the Glock 43 and I currently shoot a Glock 27 quite a bit. The MP Shield fit well as did the Kahr CW9. I also really like the feel of the Walther PPS M2. Liked the trigger pull on the Walther, Kahr and Shield the best.

Someone asked about budget and features. I want to stay under $600 and all of these met that criteria. I want single stack and something that my wife may want to carry sometimes as well. She currently carries a Ruger LCR because she hasn't been a fan of my autos, but that is changing the more she shoots. So I want a good trigger for her and ease for her to pull the slide. If she is happy with it, then I can buy another:)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn

Springfield XD(M)

Don't buy anything until you check this one out.

I didn't know there was a single stack XDM. Which model is that?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
NVhntr, there is not a single stack XDM, but someone suggested I check it out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rondrews
Wait a month until Taurus puts it's new Spectrum on the market. looks like a winner for CC.

Good suggestion. That IS a nice looking gun for CC.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
there is no Taurus ever made or will be made I would bet my life on.

T
T
I went with the 9mm shield. It has become my favorite everyday carry. Mine has been completely reliable. I added different sights and a rubber stick on grip. I tried a kahr, but the trigger was not comfortable to me and the tang bit the Web of my hand. Several of my friends have the glock and really like it. I don't think you can go wrong with the glock or the shield. No experience with the Walther.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Jimmy, I have had a Taurus G2 Pt111 since they replaced the G-1. Shot boxes and boxes through it. Not one FTF or FTE. It shoots more accurately than my S&W SD9 VE. I also carry the PT-738. Only went through about 200 rounds through it, but the results are the same. Not one failure. What is your hang-up on Taurus?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I had the pm9, very accurate, long trigger pull.

I too have a Kahr PM9. I agree it's very accurate and has a long trigger pull. It feels similar to that of a DA revolver.

I put night sights on mine, more for the 3-dots than for carefully lining up a shot in low light. I've shot it out to 50 feet, but typically on practice at 15 feet. It's easy for me to point shoot and keep all the shots on an 8.5x11 piece of paper. You only get two fingers on the grip which weirds some folks out. If you're one of them, no worries, just be aware. It's also tougher to draw from a holster because of it's diminutive overall size.

It feeds/functions fine though. I have shot various ammo from both the 6 rd and 7 rd mags. The extended mag isn't terribly well done, however. It doesn't conform to the grip of the gun. It's smaller and feels odd. It still works fine and gives the shooter that third finger on the gun, but it wouldn't have taken much more effort to get it correct from the get-go.

Good luck in your search.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Since the wife racking the slide is a criterion, I'd look hard at the Walther CCP. The gas delayed blowback utilizes a fairly light return spring.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
too many quality problems. Its not a matter that you have one that works its that a higher percentage of Taurus guns than other manufacturers guns have problems.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savuti
Since the wife racking the slide is a criterion...

Exellent point.

In recommending the Kahr PM9 I didn't consider that. The PM9 has a very strong spring. Your wife might not have sufficient hand strength. She might, but she should try it before ordering online.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Xds 3.3" 9mm no doubt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just arrived in Nashville and carrying my Kahr P9 with one extra Mag. My favorite single stack small pistol in 9mm

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
on Broadway I would put two mags in my pocket.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I am on Broadway at the Hampton Inn

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sig P239 with Crimson trace laser grip, reliability/accuracy, a robust tough little pistol.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you like the Springfield XDS, or any Springfield for that matter,

Current promotion is 4 free mags.

Mine arrived last week, 4 mags and holster and double mag pouch.

Holster and mag pouch will stay in a drawer, unless someone here wants them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunner500
Sig P239 with Crimson trace laser grip, reliability/accuracy, a robust tough little pistol.

My P239 in 357 Sig isn't exactly a Compact, but it is a shooter for sure

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bea175

Bet it's a handful, the 357 Sig is a hot little round for sure.

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
yes it is

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have stayed at that hampton a time or two, I used to cover Vanderbilt before they took TN from me. Used to be a good restaurant almost right across broadway.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Italian, ate there last night

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

I've had a P239 in .357 Sig. It was my CCW for a short while back in the 1990s. I determined to master the transition from first to subsequent trigger pulls (traditional double action auto), but eventually gave up. I found that I always needed a warm up period to make that transition with the same point of impact. In a gunfight, you don't get a warm up. Your mileage may, of course, vary.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

What you doing hanging out at VB Bea?

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

I've had a P239 in .357 Sig. It was my CCW for a short while back in the 1990s. I determined to master the transition from first to subsequent trigger pulls (traditional double action auto), but eventually gave up. I found that I always needed a warm up period to make that transition with the same point of impact. In a gunfight, you don't get a warm up. Your mileage may, of course, vary.

Never fired the 357S in a 239, have to believe the little 9 to be much more manageable, I really liked mine, but, have always sucked at firing anything double action, guess that's why I love 1911's.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RW - that seems to be the issue for many using DA/SA.
Likely more so than a straight SA or DA.

Even Hickok45 - though he does decent w it - and most others. In fairness, he's likely burned 5 or 6 digits of ammo, or more. Yet seems to use Glock as his Go to.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Vanderbilt Hospital qualifying for Heart Transplant Surgery , chit happens

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn Buddy, hope all turns out well and God Bless!

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
play the cards you are dealt

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Vanderbilt Hospital qualifying for Heart Transplant Surgery , chit happens

gee Bob, that's a heck of a blow.

your comment about "playing the cards you're dealt" is altogether true--at times it's the 3 foot monkey wrench...

good to know you're traveling with a rig.

sure hope all turns out well for you.

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Man , time will tell. I never go out unarmed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
play the cards you are dealt

Spoken like a man. Prayers up for you brother.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Live or die , I'm ready for either don't really worry about it either way.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Prayers BEA.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel

your comment about "playing the cards you're dealt" is altogether true--at times it's the 3 foot monkey wrench...

Same here. Prayer sent.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel

Same here. Prayer sent.
Ditto... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Prayers BEA

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I enjoy your contributions BEA,

Please take good care of yourself.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
OP

If I was forced to carry a single stack 9mm, I would give serious consideration the the S&W 3913.

It is a rather under rated handgun (in my opinion).

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Glock 43

Easy to conceal and Glock reliable.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I found places this past week I could rent and shoot a Glock 43, Spfld XDS, Kkahr and Shield so I was able to try all four. I chose and purchased the Glock 43 last night. I don't think I could have gone wrong with any of these, but the Glock just seemed to fit me better, plus I carry a Glock 27 now.

Thanks to all who gave advice and expressed their opinions which allowed me to narrow my search. Now it is off to the the range today to see how it performs!

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
bea, best of luck to you and you are in my prayers. I spent 20+ years in the Cardiovascular market and it is amazing what can be done now days. Vanderbilt is a great hospital.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I also spent more than 30 years working in Critical Care , Cardiopulmonary Supervisor at Indian Path Med Center. None of this I don't know about, believe me. I have seen and done it all.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I found places this past week I could rent and shoot a Glock 43, Spfld XDS, Kkahr and Shield so I was able to try all four. I chose and purchased the Glock 43 last night. I don't think I could have gone wrong with any of these, but the Glock just seemed to fit me better, plus I carry a Glock 27 now.

Thanks to all who gave advice and expressed their opinions which allowed me to narrow my search. Now it is off to the the range today to see how it performs!
You made an excellent choice.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

good luck, I have a G43, then I bought a shield because it offered one more round and I just wanted to try it as well. The G43 has a softer recoil impulse, the shield is just a tiny bit more accurate in my hands but may be the square sights on it. I will just keep both, I may replace the shield sights with the big orange trijicon when I can, that sight makes silhouette hits a lot easier for me anyway. I opted for no safety on the shield, I try and keep all my CCW pistols about the same in behavior. I carry the G43 more than the shield.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I picked a XDs 9mm 3.3" out a few weeks ago,the Ruger SR i had previously just wasn't doing it for me. I liked the Shield (liked the grip better) and the XDs about the same. It was a tough choice. The 4 free mags, Kydex holster and mag carrier that Springfield is offering right now, sealed the deal. When I can afford another, I'm going to check out the Glock 43 and take another good look at a Shield or I just might get a XDs 4" so all my mags are interchangeable. After shooting it at the range and carring it for 3 weeks now,I really like the XDs 3.3" though.

(Micah 6:8) "Words are what men live by... words they say and mean." -John Wayne, The Comancheros "Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives." -Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prayers Bea! All the best Sir. I sold Primacor IV years ago. Much advancement has taken place in CVD no doubt.

Keep your Faith. Ditto above, enjoy your posts.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I've been reading a lot lately about the Walther PPS M2. It looks inviting. I carry a Kahr CW45 or a G19. Interested in a 9mm single stack and am going to go rent a couple different ones and check them out.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
it strikes me that all of the single stack guns are close in performance. That said the M2 might be better for one person over another due to grip frame and hand size.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Why is it that in these conversations the Kimber Solo is never mentioned?

M7

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Deleted post.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cuz the Glock or the Smith or the Taurus are better value for the money.

John Stark.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ModelSeven

M7

google Kimber solo problems.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What is your logic to go for less capacity, when you can get a few extra rounds with a double?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
What is your logic to go for less capacity, when you can get a few extra rounds with a double?
People choose single stacks for increased concealability and comfort in carry.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Because the OP's question was: 'Re: Opinions on 9mm Single Stack for CC'

And because CC to me infers the smallest, reliable package you can find with what each individual considers to be adequate power for what he feels he is 'likely' to encounter in a given day's activities.

I know the word 'reliable' is what many of you will pounce on in your replies to this post.

Disclosure: I also 'currently' own nearly every model mentioned in this thread except the Smith Shield (even double stacks like the G27) or any 1911 variety or spin-offs, because I prefer the striker pistols, and none is easier to conceal carry than the Solo.

M7

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by David_Walter

Do you 'value' your money more than your life?

M7

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jimmyp

M7

google Kimber solo problems.

I can Google and find anything I want. What I find on my side is my Solo DC with factory night sights. It's not poking me in the belly or the back, and nobody ever knows it's there. Most times I have a spare mag full in my pocket, giving me 13 total (more than my G27 double stack) and I hardly know IT's there.

M7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

M7

No. I "value" my life most of all. That's why I don't carry a Kimber and I do carry a Glock 43 everyday.

There's what? 100X the Glock 43s in use compared to the Kimber and with no real issues to report.

I don't google, I shoot. But if I did Google, I'd find that 40% of the NATO armed forces use Glocks and 0% use Kimbers of any type.

Now what?

John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Live or die , I'm ready for either don't really worry about it either way.

I like your approach. Guessing you'll be on your feet no matter where you end up; "either way" as you say. Best wishes.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Orville
it strikes me that all of the single stack guns are close in performance. That said the M2 might be better for one person over another due to grip frame and hand size.

This is why you go rent them and shoot them first.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bea, We hope your surgery was successful. Drop us a note and update us.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have had a PM9 for a number of years and it is my most commonly used EDC but I just picked up a Kimber Micro 9 and it may become #1, if it turns out as reliable as the PM9. Just feels a bit better in the hand. Glocks don't fit my hand very well.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Note: I have not read a single post on this thread.

My current gun is the Beretta Nano. Long trigger, but that is a plus if my book. I learned to shoot it pretty well. Zero malfunctions thus far. Though, all my guns are squeaky clean with light oil. 8 + 1 with extended Mag. The standard mag is worthless. I have 2 extended mags for duty.

I help out a friend who owns a gun shop. Most popular seller is Shield. Hands down.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The Shield is a good carry gun, but realize that its heavier in the 9mm than all of the others besides the XDS at 23.7 oz loaded. I have trouble concealing my shield but its a great gun in all respects. But when i carry it, its somewhat uncomfortable and you know its there. I have tried about 10 different holsters.

I normally carry a CM9 which is smaller and lighter. Works great for CCW in a PJ Holster or FOXX holster. Only you can determine what conceals. Alot of people can conceal the shield, i however have to dress around it. I find carrying the XDS easier.

Kahr, Shield, LC9s, Glock 43 will all work. Line them up at your LGS.

I would however recommend if you want a longer grip to take a serious look at the Kahr CW9. Longer grip is a little harder to conceal but just as good as any shield and its hard to beat. Its lighter than the shield, and way better looking.

Last edited by semi; 03/28/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MGunns
Ive been carrying a Sig P938 for a while. Pleasure to shoot and carry.

Carrying one myself these days, with an XDs when not. 1911s most any other time.

Really find the P938 accurate, fun to shoot, esy to carry, and it has night sights.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

M7

No. I "value" my life most of all. That's why I don't carry a Kimber and I do carry a Glock 43 everyday.

There's what? 100X the Glock 43s in use compared to the Kimber and with no real issues to report.

I don't google, I shoot. But if I did Google, I'd find that 40% of the NATO armed forces use Glocks and 0% use Kimbers of any type.

Now what?

No argument from me on your siderm choices, but technically, Kimbers are used in a very limited number and role by MARSOC (the ICQB).

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I believe while interesting, the issue of which gun to carry plays a much smaller role than just having a gun to pull when needed. If you have to pull a .380 on an aggressor, do you really believe they'll look at it and think, "I can take 3 or 4 hits from that pop-gun, no problem", and will continue the attack? Or will they think, "Schite! a GUN!! Runnnnn!!!!" How many people do you believe would attack you if you pumped 10 rounds of .22LR right into their face?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
I believe while interesting, the issue of which gun to carry plays a much smaller role than just having a gun to pull when needed. If you have to pull a .380 on an aggressor, do you really believe they'll look at it and think, "I can take 3 or 4 hits from that pop-gun, no problem", and will continue the attack? Or will they think, "Schite! a GUN!! Runnnnn!!!!" How many people do you believe would attack you if you pumped 10 rounds of .22LR right into their face?
Yep, most of the time that would work good enough. But sometimes it wouldn't. That's not to say that anything less than 9mm or .38 Special is an ill advised choice, though, since it's all a matter of finding a balance, and where everyone finds it is different. For me, it's 9mm/.38 Special as a floor. For others it could be .380, .32, .25, or even .22 rimfire. For some, it has to start with a four.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yep, most of the time that would work good enough. But sometimes it wouldn't. That's not to say that anything less than 9mm or .38 Special is an ill advised choice, though, since it's all a matter of finding a balance, and where everyone finds it is different. For me, it's 9mm/.38 Special as a floor. For others it could be .380, .32, .25, or even .22 rimfire. For some, it has to start with a four.

If I looked I could find examples where any truly portable, concealable handgun of any caliber failed to stop an aggressor from completing his/her objective. Such calibers would include the .22LR, .380 ACP, 9mm, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .357 Sig, 10mm Auto, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .45 Glock, .45 ACP. Handguns calibers are inherently underpowered. If you are really THAT concerned that your handgun will not protect you, due to current laws being interpreted differently toward white people vs. the rest of the world, you need to stay at home as much as possible. Blacks can demonstrate while brandishing AR-15s...we can't. Harden your home against home invasion, get some more pit bulls, and keep using your Food Saver Bag to fit your rifle and magazine in while you shower. Then, keep a nice sharp stainless steel blade in the shower to facilitate opening the heat-sealed freezer bag and gaining quick access to your rifle. If your assailant(s) don't succumb to center mass hits at PBR with a .308 WIN, your number is obviously up.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by StarchedCover
Over the years I have carried several different single stack 9mm pistols to include SIG P6, P225, P239,Kahr CW9 and this past year I have been carrying a Walther PPS M2.
I really like the ergos of the Walther, it fits my hand better than the Glock. I keep it in a DARA IWB holster and it is my daily carry.
I like the Walther PPS M2 so much that I bought another one as a spare.

StarchedCover

Yep
Walther PPS M2
WALTHER CCP
Ruger LC9s
And S&W Shield
...all good

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Savuti
Since the wife racking the slide is a criterion, I'd look hard at the Walther CCP. The gas delayed blowback utilizes a fairly light return spring.

Big plus on that ...wife and daughter find the CCP easiest to rack!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Good Luck!
The warranty on my eyeballs is running out.
Hope to extend it with cataract surgery.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
How could my reply have been more conciliatory? I'm not getting your hysterical response to it.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 160user, 59 invisible), 3,120 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,881
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.