Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I asked earlier for any input on using this as a game bullet and got none, so of course I had to go try it.....
Only got a " sample of two" but Im inclined not to use it on game any more unless you can be VERY picky about your choice of shots, or limit your shooting to little Texas deer or pronghorn antelope sized critters.

Shot a nice Mouflon Ram ( about a 100 pound animal..) Broadside, twice. Neither bullet exited, but they killed him dead in short order. I would have thought I'd get an exit on something that small....
Also shot a blackbuck doe for meat ( maybe 80 pound critter..) Quartering on, through the hydraulics, again no exit. Put her down immediately though...

[Linked Image]

Shot three good sized pigs ( 90, 100, and 169 pounds)....all brain shots so THAT worked ( as did a few others I used the bullet on last year.)

[Linked Image]

Everything shot with the .223AI

Its a Super accurate bullet in all my guns, but I'd like a little more penetration on game.....

The Sierra 63 SMP seems to provide that, and the accuracy...

And there is always the SURE BET..Barnes 55 gr. TTSX

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good feedback, thanks.

What have you shot with the Sierra 63g SMP and in what ways did it work better?

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Shot some pigs with the 63 SMP..also all brain shots, but unlike the 60 NBTs They all exited ... leading me to think penetration is Mo' betta....

Plus they originally came highly recommended by a good friend and a previous knowledgable poster here..Dober.

He shot lots of stuff with them, including a 7'3" bear with great results.

If Dober says it works.....it works...... grin

Last edited by ingwe; 03/17/17.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Ingwe ,

I've thought about the 60 nbt also -do they all have the crimp ?
I figured a 60gr. bullet that is crimped would make a decent game bullet -would have thought it would have exit-ed myself .
Thanks for stopping my wondering about the big NBT .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Ingwe ,

I've thought about the 60 nbt also -do they all have the crimp ?

By 'crimped' do you mean cannelured?

If so, I think they all have it and it has no bearing on terminal performance. Nosler themselves recommend it for varmints only...and it seems to be a good recommendation..

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Yes cannelure .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Tom,

don't forget the old Speer 70 grain SMP also...

I've wacked some blacktails with them out of a 223 and 22.250...

dropped as fast as if I'd have shot them with an 06...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I shot a few deer with those Speers and was never impressed with performance ( had to shoot a couple twice..with good what should have been mortal hits..) Good buddy swears by them though...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dober is one poster I'd love to see return. I miss his experiences and knowledge. I understand his not wanting to deal with the drama of this place and spending more time with his family. Good choice, but I still miss seeing his posts.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Looks like you had a good hunt ingwe...

Molon Labe
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Azar
Dober is one poster I'd love to see return. I miss his experiences and knowledge. I understand his not wanting to deal with the drama of this place and spending more time with his family. Good choice, but I still miss seeing his posts.

Have posted before, we seem to lose the ones we really need to keep, seem to keep the ones we could for sure stand to lose... shocked

DF

Ed. for spelling... blush

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/18/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been wondering about Dober. Agree DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You don't see Pat (Scenarshooter) posting as much; Dober doesn't post at all. Too many "hot shots" trying to take down top guys to feed their insecurity. Those kind are driven to scratch their way to supremacy, at least in their own minds.

And then, some like BobinNH, pass to their reward. Those loses can't be helped, the former are preventable.

Maybe tighter monitoring of trolls? I don't really know how to handle that. Some sites are over controlled, sure not the case here. But, what is optimal? I don't have a good answer.

DF

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The 63 SMP has been a bullet I've been shooting for a good while now at all sorts of stuff. I ran it with Varget at about 2950 from my general purpose 18" AR...

Although it flies like a mattress, it is very sturdy and accurate.

Exits are the norm, usually at any angle except straight on or away...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by GregW
The 63 SMP has been a bullet I've been shooting for a good while now at all sorts of stuff. I ran it with Varget at about 2950 from my general purpose 18" AR...

Although it flies like a mattress, it is very sturdy and accurate.

Exits are the norm, usually at any any except straight on or away...

Mark (Dober) turned me onto the 63 Sierra SMP several years ago. I've used it in several 223's and a 22-250, it's easily the most consistently accurate bullet I use and it's deadly.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Good to hear the feedback on the 63 SMPs

Im leaning more and more towards it when I want to use a CnC bullet instead of a mono. And people seem to have better luck with it than the 65 grain GK

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I ran a ladder with the 63 SMP many years ago at 400 yards from the same AR. Every impact was with a 3" circle. Got a picture somewhere of it...

It's an accurate bullet for sure but so is my AR. .Grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Ive had excellent luck accuracy wise with them too Greg. Only game Ive shot was pigs..in the brain..so no conclusions there, other than I got exits on pig skulls which I didn't with the 60 NBTs
But getting it from Dober and a couple of you other guys with actual experience means a LOT.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DF - I agree.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Ingwe,

I've tested them on milk jugs and decided they were a "varmit only" bullet.

I placed a one quart milk jug in front of a one gallon jug. Out of a 16" AR it cut the quart jug in half, but left the gallon jug behind it unscathed. In the bottom of the quart jug was the 10gr copper base, and that all there was to be found.

Nope, not a bullet I would choose for game.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,474
Posts18,471,489
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.