Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I found a bunch of bullets I'd forgot about having. Most appear to have been pulled, by the slight mark on them. I've shot pulled bullets before, with no apparent difference in accuracy, and I'm going to reload these. Just curious as to what others think about reloading bullets that have been pulled and show the mark.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do it all the time and have never noticed any differences in accuracy or velocity compared with virgin bullets of the same make and weight. I have also used them to shoot several elk and a few deer, both mulies and Coues whitetails, and there did not seem to be any noticeable difference in terminal performance, either.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm curious to see any studies on accuracy, comparing bullets pulled with a collet style press pull vs. those "pulled" with the inertia hammer method.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd also like to see a comparison of bullets dropped onto the concrete floor before loading versus those that weren't dropped.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'd be curious to ascertain if y'all are good enough shots to tell the difference. (I know I'm not. My day to day inconsistency even with accurate loads offsets any observable variance due to cosmetic factors.)

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have some Federal pulled bullets loaded up. I wonder if the scar from being pulled weakens the jacket and if it may break off during penetration?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A friend had some 95 grain 6mm bullets that we pulled one day.

When he tried to work up some loads for his new rifle he found that the pulled bullets didn't shoot as tight a group ans some new ones did.

I looked at them at the time and they did not looked damaged.
Might have been the rifle just didn't like those.
I have shot both types of other calibers and could not tell the difference.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by plainsman456

That has been my experience throughout the spectrum of calibers...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by plainsman456

That has been my experience throughout the spectrum of calibers...

x2

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I would think it would depend on which method was used to pull them, whether a crimp was involved, etc.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ever since I destroyed my second inertia puller about 15 or 16 years ago, I have used nothing but a collet puller. Some of the bullets I have pulled were pretty hard to get out, due to cold welding, crimping or whatever. Most of those were fairly deeply compressed where the collet had grabbed them. They did not perform noticeably different from any others that I had pulled using either method.

I would worry more about minimizing runout than how they look.

Ben

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by mudhen
Ever since I destroyed my second inertia puller about 15 or 16 years ago, I have used nothing but a collet puller. Some of the bullets I have pulled were pretty hard to get out, due to cold welding, crimping or whatever. Most of those were fairly deeply compressed where the collet had grabbed them. They did not perform noticeably different from any others that I had pulled using either method.

I would worry more about minimizing runout than how they look.

If I ever saw that they were crimped or found that they were cold welded, I took an extra step in the process and re-seated the bullet a tad deeper to break that bond. After that, I'd find pulling the bullet was much easier.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
How do they air pull bullets

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My experience is not deep, but I have found that so long as the base of the bullet was not damaged, pulled bullets seem to shoot well enough.
That said, I use them on the range rather than hunting.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I'd also like to see a comparison of bullets dropped onto the concrete floor before loading versus those that weren't dropped.

Lick the bullet and wave it over the press while uttering your favorite incantation and then go ahead and seat it--bullet will be good as new.

Works for me all the time........
Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
As I have aged and my hands have quit being anything close to dexterous, I drop single bullets onto the concrete floor of my loading area fairly regularly. I usually put a dot on the bullet with a sharpie once it is loaded, and so far I have never seen any effect on group size. I think that the inertia of a single bullet is insufficient to upset a jacketed bullet enough to matter.

Dropping a box of bullets on a concrete floor is supposedly a wholly different matter, but since I have yet to do that, grin I am just repeating what I have heard.

Ben

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
All l use for pulling is a set of linesman pliers. All long as you use the wire cutting portion of the jaws to grip the bullet in the cannelure or on the shank below the ogive (and don't "farmer squeeze") no harm is done. The slight deformities will be ironed out as the bullet goes through the barrel.

I've shot lots of these and have never noticed any difference in accuracy. Perhaps if I was a bench rest competitor striving for one hole groups I might see a difference but I assume we're talking hunting rifles.

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Commercial "Air pulled or vacuum pulled should be fine. Inertia pulled no bueno. Inertia pulling can loosen the core jacket contact and reduce concentricity.

I think some of the difference with the air pulled is due more to mixing different lots of bullets rather than any negative affect from pulling them. But for casual shooting and hunting they are fine.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Back in the late 60's early 70's we wold buy pulled military bullets from DCM ( now CMP) for 2 or 3 cents each in lots of a thousand. I sent a lot of ball and AP's down range at 200 and 300 yards during competition. They more far more accurate than I was

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/21/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I bought some pulled 6.5's from here on the fire. Mixed lot of 129g SST's and 120g NBT's. Worked up a load with the NBT's in my Tikka T3 Lite SS 6.5x55. Worst group during load development was in the 0.8"s best were in the 0.4"s. Not sure how the individual I got them from pulled them, but it sure didn't seem to hurt the accuracy at all.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 57 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,461
Posts18,471,311
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.