if you all will have me i guess ill come back

FJB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
I hope to be back.

I hope yo are too.

Charles, I "owe" you my first pig. Great advice on that lead sled.

No problem Glad you got the pigs.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Could you guys with the fancy cameras get a lens for next year that makes me look thin?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by El_Numero_Uno
I plan on making the hunt next year, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise! Too good a time with outstanding compadres!

[Linked Image]

It was a pleasure making your acquaintence sir!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
A few more of the crew, caught in their "unawares"

ya!

GWB

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
and mine as well sir

FJB
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by kingston
When Leighton called I think I said something like, "I'm in love with Texas. I love Texas. I love the way Texans treat each other, the way they acknowledge one another. The yes ma'am, no ma'am, yes sir, no sir. The warmth in their casual greetings and smiles. They've got lots of cows and weather's pretty good too!"

You'll never hear a Texan say you have to be born here to be a Texan. You don't even have to live here, hence the State motto...

"Texas...a State of mind."

Edited to add that there are plenty people living here that will NEVER be Texans, as much as they would like to be. Some are here on the 'fire.

Yet to experience anything to the contrary, and not holding my breath waiting for that to ever come to pass. Good people, good American people. Some a bit more than others, maybe, but that applies across the board and state lines I reckon...

Hell, a fella doesn't even have to be over six feet tall, sport a big buckle and hat and have round eyes to earn the respect and gratitude of a proper Texan. As it should be.

http://abc7.com/archive/7113730/

November 11, 2009 12:00:00 AM PST
By David Ono
LOS ANGELES --

On this Veterans Day, we take you back 65 years to a World War II battle so fierce that the U.S. Army places it among its top ten in history. Soldiers involved in that battle recently held a reunion. It's a remarkable story of tremendous sacrifice from a group of heroes who could have turned their backs on this country but instead used their mistreatment as resolve to prove their loyalty.

We know them today as the Japanese Americans of the 442nd Infantry who bravely rescued the lost battalion.

Their story begins exactly 65 years ago. In the dense forest of the Vosges Mountains in France, the 200 soldiers of the 141st Texas regiment found themselves surrounded by the Nazis, outnumbered and outgunned.

They were trapped by 6,000 fresh German troops under direct orders from Hitler to hold their ground.

The press dubbed them as "The Lost Battalion."

They dug into the mud and fought off one German attack after another.

Bruce Estes was 19 years old at the time and says the fighting was only part of the problem.

"We went five days without food. I could stick my finger through my navel and rub my backbone," recalls Estes.

In a desperate effort to get the Texans food, Army officials ordered artillery shells to be stuffed with chocolate. They then fired them over the thick trees, landing right on top of the Americans.

"The first thing they did, they tried to shoot some chocolate bars into us and right away they got on the radio and said stop that, because we took some casualties from that hard chocolate. It sounds crazy but it happened," said Jack Wilson as he described what it was like being part of the "Lost Battalion."

Two separate fighting units were deployed to try to reach the "Lost Battalion," but were viciously fought back.

The U.S. Army had one hope left in the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, a unit made up entirely of Japanese Americans, many of whom spent the early part of the war imprisoned in internment camps.

The U.S. labeled them "enemy aliens" even though they were born and raised in the United States.

The prejudice they endured is one of the darkest chapters in American history, yet these young men were desperate to fight for their country and prove their loyalty. They got their chance with the 442nd Regimental Combat Team (RCT).

In a matter of months, they became the most decorated unit in American military history.

Now it was their job to rescue the "Lost Battalion."

"Honor, duty, and as our parents would say, don't bring shame to the family," said Lawson Sakai, a graduate of Montebello High School.

There's a famous quote that reads, "The tragedy of war is that it uses man's best to do man's worst."

Sakai lived that quote. He vividly recalls fighting his way towards the "Lost Battalion."

It was his 21st birthday and almost his last.

"Machine guns are firing at us, and all of the sudden this German popped up in front of me and shot me point blank," recalled Sakai. He described how the German soldier had missed, and they struggled in a violent fist fight. Sakai recalls that when the soldier's helmet fell off, he realized that he was just a 14- or 15-year-old boy. He died in Sakai's arms.

Days of brutal fighting followed. Each tree in the forest had to be earned, and the violence was beyond description.

"Artillery shells screaming at you coming in, exploding. It's the noisiest thing you can imagine, and it's hard to describe, and then bodies flying apart. People being killed in front of you. You can't describe it," said Sakai.

"It's hard to tell young people what it was like when the whole world was at war," explained Sakai.

It took five days, but they made it.

Jack Wilson remembers when the first member of the 442nd unit appeared. They almost shot him thinking it was a German trick.

"I raised that rifle up again and was just about ready to shoot, and all at once this guy raised up his hand and said, 'Hey you guys need any cigarettes?'" Wilson recalled.

Newsreel cameras captured the "Lost Battalion" coming out of the forest, owing their lives to the Japanese American unit who sacrificed dearly to reach them.

The 442nd suffered more than 800 casualties. The K Company, which started with 186 men, had 17 left. The I company, which started with 185 men, had eight men left.

The Texans promised to never forget the 442nd team, and they certainly kept that promise. They held a reunion in Houston, Texas, 65 years later, still saying thank you.

"I think they are the finest bunch of boys there ever was. They had something to prove and as far as I'm concerned, they more than proved it," said Wilson.

Former President Bill Clinton once said, "Rarely has a nation been so well served by a people so ill-treated."

The 442nd earned 21 medals of honor during World War II.

http://abc7.com/archive/7113730/

http://www.njamf.com/OurStory/MilServ/LostBat/LostBat.html

After two failed attempts to rescue the 141st by other units of the 36th Division, the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, a unit comprised mostly of Japanese Americans, and attached to the 36th, was ordered to liberate the Texas regiment trapped nearly 9 miles away.

In 5 days of battle, from October 26th to October 30th, the 442nd fought enemy infantry, artillery and tanks through forests and mountain ridges until it reached the Lost Battalion, breaking through Nazi defenses, and rescuing about 230 men. The 442nd then pushed on for 10 more days to take the ridge that was the 141st’s original objective. From Bruyeres through the Vosges, the 442nd combat team suffered tremendous losses of more than 400 men, more than half its original strength. I Company went to battle with 185 men, only 8 left the battlefield uninjured. K Company began with 186 men, only 17 were uninjured.

The 442nd is the most decorated unit in U.S. military history for its size and length of service, with its component 100th Infantry Battalion earning the nickname “The Purple Heart Battalion.”

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by geedubya
I plan on making the hunt next year, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise! Too good a time with outstanding compadres!

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

Another plus one on this. Pleasure meeting you!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
For sure Lee is good people!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by geedubya

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

Same here! It was a pleasure meeting Lee!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Big buck.

[Linked Image]

I saw one whitetail who was just a 8 point, but a beast. He was probably 3-4 inches wider, taller, heavier, dark horned. A true Muy Grande. He came out of the brush 200+ yards away, spotted me right away in the blind, and went back into the brush. That's how he got big, by learning to spot people in blinds, and not sticking around. The gemsbok were the same, spotted me in the blind, and went back in the brush. Neither went to the feeders.

He was probably the biggest deer I saw. However, he was only 9 points. Perfectly shaped, but was 4x5. I know if I was paying that kind of money for a white tail, he would've needed to be a perfect "10". Actually, the half rack deer was nicer. He wasn't as wide, but he was heavier. Nice buck.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'll be back, too. Might take 3 or 4 years to get acquainted properly with everyone...
Bob

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This is just a beautiful animal.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ronald Reagan
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
For some reason I am not able to reply on the 'fire Facebook page but the .277 TSX GW found was sent via my 270 Montana.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by EdM
For some reason I am not able to reply on the 'fire Facebook page but the .277 TSX GW found was sent via my 270 Montana.

I got it right here with me as I type.

[Linked Image]

I can mail it to you with your snail mail addy!

or try to remember to bring it with me next year!

let me know!

ya!

GWB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
This is just a beautiful animal.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That last pic I didn't recognize the hunter. Need to send you my cell phone # Brian so I can keep that one. Let me know when and if you will. Was a nice truck to ride in. My hog on the left.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by EdM

Instead of bullet for a bad man,

we'll call this one a "bullet for a good guy"

Comin' to ya at the speed of the USPS.

ya!

GWB

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Appreciated bud.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Hey guys I'm finally back home. It was a great trip back-no mother in-law. grin

Many thanks to Dan for putting this hunt together,it was an absolute blast. It was a pleasure to meet all of you fine gentlemen.

Brian, I couldn't have had a better cellmate. Thanks to all for such a warm welcome to a newbie. I'll certainly be back if you'll have me.

After getting home I started catching up on the thread and would find myself with the biggest sh-t eating grin with every mention of ole Junebug. OMG. Can't wait for the big screen production.

Page 88 of 122 1 2 86 87 88 89 90 121 122

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (35, 444Matt, Anaconda, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 8 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.