Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm going to be stretched out on Mr Heating Pad for a few days... I've been looking through my Audible and Kindle libraries and not finding a book that seems right...

I'm pretty burned out on the standard guy fair of espionage or detective fiction... I'm in the mood for Something that is well written with good plot character development and FUNNY.

Suggestions?

Please don't feed the trolls!
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Well it IS detective fiction... but I highly recommend any of Nelson DeMille's novels with the John Corey character. DeMille is a great author, but his sarcastic wit really comes through in the Corey novels, which are written in first person so you have the complete John Corey worldview.

Start with "Plum Island" and continue the Corey series so you don't miss anything. You will laugh out loud so much your back will hurt more. Promise. laugh

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Peter Hathaway Capstick

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The Campfire is good most days...... grin

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My books might suit you. Baggy Zero Four is available in pdf format and Mike Five Eight in Kindle. The pair are under $10 as ebooks.

LINK

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Rocky, I've read and enjoyed them both....

Not really sure how to better describe what I'm looking for... something witty and entertaining with no annoying liberal politics involved in anyway.... The last short story I read that was laugh out loud funny was Patrick McMann's "The Night The Bear Eat Goomba...".

So either a full length novel or collection of short stories that is quickly engaging humorous and perhaps a bit uplifting.... My back seems to be trying for an Olympic metal in muscle spasms tonight... I guess the weather must be changing......

Off to soak in a HOT bathtub. I think I'm quoting Suzan Summers (embarrassed face icon here) "Getting older isn't for sissies...".

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
John Grisham and David Baldachi are two excellent authors.

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was hoping to find a link to just the short story.. no luck but here are some of the Amazon review comments:

Unsafe to read while eating or drinking
ByAmazon Customeron August 24, 2015
Format: Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase

I've learned never to eat or drink anything while reading Pat McManus' books -- I'll either choke to death or spray everyone around me with a mouthfull of food! I'm living with a painful disability, and have found the uncontrollable hilarity that comes with a McManus book is a better opiate than a syringe-full of morphine. I'm not kidding, either; only this author can turn a wilderness predicament into nosebleeding laughter -- if you can't howl at the adventures of two ten-year-old boys (Retch Sweeny and our intrepid author in his younger days) and Rancid Crabtree, their crusty swamp-dwelling sidekick, along with a town of long-suffering citizens and the boys' put-upon parents, you simply have no appreciation for literary slapstick.

I've always loved Patrick McManus' humor, which I was first exposed to in my youth when he wrote for Field & Stream magazine. On a whim, I decided to purchase the Kindle version of this book and I was magically transported to my teenaged years. I had just finished reading the chapter that has the same name as the book when my 87 year old mother dropped by for a visit. She asked why my cheeks were wet and I had to admit that was laughing so hard that I cried. She wanted to hear what was so funny, so I read the chapter aloud to he. Near the end if the chapter, she was begging me to stop so that she could catch her breath. Yes, Patrick can still entertain me but now I know that my Mom might enjoy some of his books for Christmas. I recommend everything that Patrick has ever written, especially his collections of short stories like this one. It will take you back to a more innocent time in life and will hopefully help to lift the burden of you problems for a short time.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I'm going to be stretched out on Mr Heating Pad for a few days...

Suggestions?

Git off your back and the heat.

Move, move lightly.

Ice (20 min).

Stretch.

Ice.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Carl Hiassen

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want Non Fiction:

Reynel Martinez "Six Silent Men"

Book 1 of a Series on LRRPs. If you like that series of three then Gary Linderer has a few more. Your Kindle will prompt you at the end of that.

Larry Chambers wrote one on Recondo and a bunch of others will surface as you search in those.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brazos
Carl Hiassen

Thanks for that suggestion.... I downloaded Tourist Season.... so far I'm entertained.... I lived in South FLA for a few years when I was in my 20s I think I may have met some of these "Tourists" grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stephen King.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Try Lewis Grizzard - late columnist for Atlanta Journal Constituution. Titles include Shoot Low Boys They're Ridin' Shetland Ponies , Elvis is Dead and I Don't Feel So Good Myself and Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes,

I've got back issues too. Spent many a spell on a heating pad gobbling Advil.

Last edited by releehweoj; 03/18/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I'm going to be stretched out on Mr Heating Pad for a few days... I've been looking through my Audible and Kindle libraries and not finding a book that seems right...

I'm pretty burned out on the standard guy fair of espionage or detective fiction... I'm in the mood for Something that is well written with good plot character development and FUNNY.

Suggestions?
For pure, unadulterated bust a gut laughter, you can't do better than the indefatigable Patrick McManus. The Night The Bear Ate Goombaw should be mandatory reading for anyone struggling to get a smile on their face. Pat's stuff is more addictive than Dorito's though-one book of his will never be enough.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Dave Barry is pretty good. Light, and funny. "Lunatics" was pretty good.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
J C Box. Wyoming game warden that gets in way more than game and his side kick Nate Romanowski is someone who really gets your attention.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 007FJ
If you want Non Fiction:

Reynel Martinez "Six Silent Men"

Book 1 of a Series on LRRPs. If you like that series of three then Gary Linderer has a few more. Your Kindle will prompt you at the end of that.

Larry Chambers wrote one on Recondo and a bunch of others will surface as you search in those.

Thanks for the suggestion, I do read war memories books from time to time... By far the best I have read is Once A Warrior King by David Donovan... Are you familiar with that book?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I should have specified, the John Corey novels I mentioned technically aren't detective novels since corey is retired NYPD who eventually winds up fighting terrorists both here and abroad. NO liberal politics.

And forgot about Carl Hiaasen- if you've been to south FL you know the people he writes about. My kin...

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by releehweoj
Try Lewis Grizzard - late columnist for Atlanta Journal Constituution. Titles include Shoot Low Boys They're Ridin' Shetland Ponies , Elvis is Dead and I Don't Feel So Good Myself and Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes,

I've got back issues too. Spent many a spell on a heating pad gobbling Advil.

I had forgotten about Grizzard... he died way too young... I have a bunch of his books waiting in the queue now.... Lewis' writing is about exactly what I was looking for. Thank You.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 1234, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,812
Posts18,516,495
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.