Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
We've been home shopping and are considering making an offer on one.
So whats' a good read on mortgages?
Thanks
Doug

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by Terryk; 03/20/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Find a "good" mortgage broker in your area, they will have access to multiple lending sources and can usually get you the best deal. The costs are regulated you you pay the same fee's with all of them.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Good mortgage broker.

Ask some friends/associates who have purchased homes which mortgage broker they would recommend.

Call a couple title companies and ask a boss who they would recommend as a mortgage broker.

Montana MOFO
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Find a "good" mortgage broker in your area, they will have access to multiple lending sources and can usually get you the best deal. The costs are regulated you you pay the same fee's with all of them.

Good and honest broker. I was in the industry and left because of the lying and cheating I saw. It can happen anywhere including big banks. I never cheated a customer.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Quicken Loans.. Best mortgage service i've ever had..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
Quicken Loans.. Best mortgage service i've ever had..

You nailed it. Most painless, non intrusive loan ever. highly recommend em.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The word mortgage comes from the root word mortuus + gage which signifies death or murder. A mortgage is a lien against property which allows it to be seized. The root of the word lien is closely related to ligature, which is something used to bind or strangle. Very appropriate. Proceed cautiously. I am not wealthy but I decided a long time ago to not give anyone the right to seize my house, vehicles, tractor, cows, etc.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Hastings
The word mortgage comes from the root word mortuus + gage which signifies death or murder. A mortgage is a lien against property which allows it to be seized. The root of the word lien is closely related to ligature, which is something used to bind or strangle. Very appropriate. Proceed cautiously. I am not wealthy but I decided a long time ago to not give anyone the right to seize my house, vehicles, tractor, cows, etc.

I understand the idea, but it's naive at best.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
One that you can pay off the fastest!

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You did not ask, but I recommend no longer than a 15 year note.

Tom aka rinkydink

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Got to be Lending Tree. You want to be able to sit around in you underwear eating Cheetos while applying for a loan. grin

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
First read "The Big Short" by Michael Lewis.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've used federal credit unions so far. My next mortgage will probably be with USAA.

Common ground is that they are membership cooperative type organizations, not banks. They are supposedly member service driven instead of profit driven.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rinkydink
You did not ask, but I recommend no longer than a 15 year note.

Tom aka rinkydink

That's our plan.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MikeL2
I've used federal credit unions so far. My next mortgage will probably be with USAA.

Common ground is that they are membership cooperative type organizations, not banks. They are supposedly member service driven instead of profit driven.

Our credit union does second mortgages only.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Mortgages are bought and sold all the time. When we bought this house in '95, we got the mortgage through a large mortgage broker. Over the next 10 years, the note was sold 4 times. That doesn't change anything. It doesn't change the terms of the contract. All we had to do was change where we sent the payments.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sauer200
Originally Posted by MikeL2

Our credit union does second mortgages only.

If you have another CU in the area that offers one, join it and use them.

When I was in the business, there was only one loan I couldn't beat and it came from a CU.

Lending tree is a sales lead generation tool that private brokers use to generate sales, caveat emptor with whoever is calling you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had various mortgages over the years, FHA type loans, loans with PMI, etc.,

the best deal I received was a bundled deal with my bank I'd been with for several years. With checking, savings, a credit card and mortgage all bundled together, with them pulling the mortgage payment from my checking account - I'm getting a very good rate plus a bunch of peripheral benefits like no fees, etc for my other stuff

I went to lending tree and filled out the pre-requisite stuff, and I guess they did their job because people wouldn't leave me alone. I was getting 10-12 calls a day from lenders local and in other states. I finally had to start blocking them to leave me alone.

I wish I had taken out a 15 year loan on my first house, but I also know how tough it is when you're starting out. Seems like I bought a whole house farting around moving from place to place buying a house in each town. I didn't get serious about paying one off until I settled down.

Last edited by KFWA; 03/20/17.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Start checking rates at Bankrate.com. Then shop your local banks and Credit Unions USAA has deals for Vet's if you are one. Most of all be aware of any penalties for early payoff or extra payments if you run into extra cash. Lastly, don't be afraid to re-finance if you find a better rate. My Daughter has re-financed multiple times and has saved thousands. If all equal, deal locally if you can.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1Longbow, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.