-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 5 cubic foot chest freezer that allows me to buy bulk when there are deals to be had. Deer meat as well. I know I should invest in a vacuum sealer. I don't know what budget I would put on one? I don't pretend to run a soup kitchen and we are a family of 2.

Last edited by woodson; 03/19/17.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I process from 3 - 6 deer at home per year, close to the same number of wild turkeys, squirrels, rabbits, dove, lots of crappie, bluegill and catfish. Usually split a hog and beef with my son. A vacuum sealer is the way to go. Well worth the money. We use a Food Saver brand, no issues here.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
GWB,

What are the four Menefees in your opening picture?

Thanks.

Frank

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Also, I'd guess that after 600 pounds of pork butchering you had something else for dinner. That's a LOT of meat cutting, but I guess you know that. Did you have any help with trimming and wrapping/vacuum bagging or was it a solo effort? Either way a darn lot of work.

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by fshaw
GWB,

What are the four Menefees in your opening picture?

Thanks.

Frank

I stand to be corrected, but the orange handled knives are a 16 bore (smaller) and a Reno (larger).

The blue vein micarta w/shield is a "Lil dumplin", and the canvas micarta, I do believe is Rick's "butcher".

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by fshaw
Also, I'd guess that after 600 pounds of pork butchering you had something else for dinner. That's a LOT of meat cutting, but I guess you know that. Did you have any help with trimming and wrapping/vacuum bagging or was it a solo effort? Either way a darn lot of work.

I went on the 24hrcampfire hog hunt on 3/8. Twenty-five guys shot +/- 60 pigs. Lotsa guys flew in and did not have the desire to take the meat back. As the hogs were skinned they were hung in a walk in cooler. I let it be known that like last year I'd take back as much meat as I could fit into three 160 qt. coolers. So on Saturday morning my guide made a list of the different guys that said I could have their hogs.

The guides brought them out and quartered the larger ones, leaving the loins and tenders attached to the carcass. I think there were 5 smaller hoglets that were left whole. One large sow I had them split lengthwise after the hinds and shoulders were removed, so I could cut out porkchops.

I spent about 5 hours last monday wrapping loins, hinds, shoulders and ribs. Tuesday I wrapped for a couple hours then took off with all three coolers still on the trailer. I gave away meat all day long.

Wednesday and Thursday I cut porkchops, and vacumn packed them along with tenders and loins. Friday I skinned out two heads and placed them on the boil for "Europeans.

Course I had to stop now and then and snap a few pix!

As to help, I went by my Taxidermist and told him I had a bunch of meat. He was kind enough to send his son out with a "tote" to grab what they wanted and carry it back in.

Other than that, I did it all myself.

[Linked Image]

I'm kinda funny about letting someone else handle my meat!

JAPPFT,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/21/17.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by geedubya

I have been thinking of getting into Charcuterie more and more and will be picking up some of the Umai bags and a Foodsaver 2400 series manual machine to accompany my 4800 series.

GWB

Umai bags are sweet. I made some lonzino and it was amazing. Just takes time.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1minute, 1234, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,844 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,370
Posts18,469,135
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.