Campfire Savant
Mighty fine animals!!!

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Bulls_Bucks_Boars
Wish I could take credit for these but can't frown my dad's two biggest NW OR blacktails

[Linked Image]

Official score was 139" and change on this guyu
[Linked Image]

You mule deer hunters can stiffle your giggles wink those are a couple a monster for our part of the country

Yes they are!!! Damn nice!! Grats

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
RBO, great story. Glad you got him. What state?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Thanks for that info Hunt. A friend sent me that pic and he thought it was taken by a pumper about 12 miles north and west of Pecos, Tx.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Thanks for that info Hunt. A friend sent me that pic and he thought it was taken by a pumper about 12 miles north and west of Pecos, Tx.

Funny how pics like that get recirculated

IC B2

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jaguartx
RBO, great story. Glad you got him. What state?

Alberta

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

[Linked Image]

My best friend, Owen Murnion holding a buck I shot back in 2009. We were actually looking for another buck I'd seen the year before when we bumped into this one. Owen really liked the looks of him. I said, "If you like him so much, go ahead and take him." He then told me he forgot his buck tag at home that morning. I said, we can come back and look for him in the morning, he might still be around. He thought that was a bad idea, and told me I'd better shoot him, and I did. He turns out to be much larger than I thought....Owen knew he was a keeper, and that's why he insisted I shoot him. That's the kind of guy Owen was.

Just one week ago today, Owen was killed in a farm accident near his home in Jordan, Montana.

Gonna miss you pardner......but I won't forget all the good times we shared.

Wow! Just think if he had more mass! Actually, on closer look, he has mass at the bases, his size just minimizes the appearance of the mass. Still a huge buck with those tine lengths.

Sorry about your friend.

Last edited by AB2506; 03/05/17.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like seeing this Bob post!!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I was hunting doe mule deer and whitetails when I came upon this bunch last fall. A couple of them look OK to me!
[Linked Image]

The whitetail I took later on wasn't "Big", but a pretty nice young buck
[Linked Image]

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by castnblast
I was hunting doe mule deer and whitetails when I came upon this bunch last fall. A couple of them look OK to me!
[Linked Image]

The whitetail I took later on wasn't "Big", but a pretty nice young buck
[Linked Image]

Great mule deer pictures!

That's a great WT buck! I would do a cartwheel to take a buck like that.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A few of mine.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by beretzs

Great mule deer pictures!

That's a great WT buck! I would do a cartwheel to take a buck like that.

I was pleased with that WT deer, but I am not BSing when I say that's not really a big deer around here. I'm not much of a trophy hunter so that's one of the better ones I've ever personally taken, But serious local trophy hunters would have let him pass. We do grow them large at the north end of their range.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
[Linked Image]

I passed on this heavy horned buck. He dressed over 200. 28 inch spread. Ranchers grandson got it 2 days later. Cell phone pic at dusk doesnt do it justice. Another W-tail racked west Texas muley.

Last edited by jaguartx; 03/13/17.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe not huge for everywhere, but definitely huge for Alabama. Copying this from my post on on AL Deer from 12/6/15:

Just got home from dropping my deer off at Indian Creek in Edwin (Abbeville). So today me and my hunting lease partner made good on plans we had had for weeks to put an old tripod up in some young planted pines and cut shooting lanes for it. We spent 3 hours or so sweating and cutting limbs and small trees with a chainsaw and polesaw. Made all kinds of racket. I had always heard deer were curious, so I decided I'd sit in it after eating some lunch.

Got in the stand around 2:30. Fighting mosquitoes. About 3:15 out steps a shooter. Had no idea how big he was other than he was a shooter. He came out around 110-115 yards away, I've laid big deer down with my 7 mag at distances more than 3 times that far away. So I shoot, lower the rifle and see him coming full speed down the shooting lane towards me! I swear it sounded like a freight train! When he gets about 40 yards away he is blocked by a pile of our fresh cut limbs and darts into the pines to my left. He comes around and runs full speed RIGHT by the tripod. I mean he almost hit one of the legs. I'm yelling HEY!!! HEY!!! trying to get him to stop, and he won't. He is right up under the tripod so I shoot, freehand, not even looking through the scope and he hits the ground, rolls, and gets back up and keeps running. I heard maybe 5 seconds of heavy crashing and then silence. I'm thinking YES, big buck down!

So I'm sitting there, already sweating from having overdressed. I wait a few minutes and get down and find just a few drops of blood in the pines on the first leg of his journey but nothing where I shot the 2nd time and he rolled. So I back out. Walk to the truck, meet my buddy. Mistake #1: put my rifle in my truck. Buddy gets his 40 just in case. We take the gator back through the pines to the tripod and not 10 feet from the tripod we get on a SOLID blood trail, one of the best I've ever seen. We trailed maybe 40 yards when all of the sudden my buddy (who is ahead of me) starts saying a lot of bad words and says THERE HE IS THERE HE IS! I run up and he is laid down looking at his in the briars about 15 feet away. I ask my friend for his 40 and put it right behind his shoulder and pulled the trigger.

HE GETS UP. AND CHARGES ME. I emptied the 40 while running backwards and I'm pulling the trigger and its going click click click as I've spent the 8 rounds in the gun and the buck slides down on his head and front legs about 5 feet from me, but with his hind legs still in the air. My spray and pray tore his throat and somehow (thank the good Lord, or else I probably would have been gored) took out both front wheels, though we think my first shot from the 7 mag had severely limited his right one already.

So there he is as we've backed away a few yards, snorting and blowing blood EVERYWHERE with his hind legs and butt still up in the air but his neck laying on the ground and he is STILL TRYING TO PUSH TOWARDS US!! He keeps falling over and then "laying" like that for about 15 minutes and we decide to go all the way out, wait half an hour, and come back in with my rifle while it is still light in case he is still alive.

So we do that, get there, AND HE'S STILL ALIVE!!! I put a round into his left shoulder with my 7 mag and he gets up and pushes his way with his back legs another 10 yards deeper in the briars!!! We get to where we can see him again and hes breathing very heavily and gurgling and blowing blood everywhere and thrashing. After 2-3 minutes he finally lays his head over, and after a few more minutes we commence to dragging. I have a deer cart but had left it at another one of our leases Friday. From now on it stays in the back of the truck!!

Only 17" inside spread, but his G2's are each 13.5" and his G3's are 11.5". Definitely my new record, which I had just reset with a hoss of an 11 point in Georgia on Halloween day that scored 142 4/8". This will be my first mounted deer, been doing rack mounts myself. He weighed 220 on the dot at the processor after losing a TON of blood. And I mean a TON!

Thank God for another day in the woods among these amazing creatures. This buck's will to live was absolutely incredible, I hope I never come across one as tough as this again!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If I want to get my blood flowing, I just check in on this thread.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
R
Not sure if this worked but here's a pic of the buck I got last year.

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab92/ripntear_mulching/IMG_4796.jpg

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Nice!

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have no idea why this picture is so small. Any ideas?

[Linked Image]

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Since someone mentioned BobinNH I had to go dig up this thread, one of my favorites. Just reread the whole thing while my wife and son napped. Still just as good

Page 38 of 63 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (3333vl, 44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,749
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.