-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
when I moved from NY to California , I had to put up with a lot of crap. I removed NY , NJ and CT from my resume now everyone is confused on what am I ?

I do sound like a nasty NY cab driver with an attitude/accent.

P.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a bit of a Southern accent, mostly upland South like that found in North Alabama and Middle Tennessee. My father's family is from the mountains in East Tennessee, but my accent is nothing like theirs. It is amazing how many different Southern accents there are.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've been told I have an accent. I'm from NW Illinois. It's about the most accent neutral part of the country. We don't talk fast or slow. However, people can never guess where I am from based on how I talk.

Now I for sure do have an accent, in that I like to accentuate my speech with 4 letter words.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootem
...And Southern English is my first. Believe it or not there are multiple "southern" accents...
Definitely. When you grow up around it, it's easy to tell an Alabama accent from someone raised around Atlanta or North Georgia from someone raised in North Carolina.

I am told folks can distinguish between northeastern accents like New York and Philly but when youse guys tawk dat way dey all sound da same to me.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I don't have an accent unless I hear a recording of myself.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Dad worked for the American Can Company, a national corporation with offices throughout the United States. Raised in southeast Texas, he realized pretty quickly that people from other parts of the US regarded a southern (or Texas) accent as a sign of ignorance. He made sure that all four of his sons learned to speak without a regional accent. My Mom was from Nebraska, so it wasn't all that hard.

When one of my younger brothers received his MS degree and went to work for the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, he learned quickly that ranchers and rural landowners responded more positively to someone with a Texas accent. He acquired one pretty quickly, and he still has it (and it serves him well) almost 40 years later.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh! Don't get me started.

See, the problem is I'm a Cincinnati Krauthead. My mother came from Northern Ohio. My Dad grew up here, in Cincinnati, specifically on the north side. That's significant if you know Cincinnati.

My northern relatives think I talk like a hillbilly. When I go to the KY/TN border to visit KYHillChick's family, they see me as a fast-talking Yankee.

To make matters worse, being a Northsider whose father spoke German before learning English, I've got all these little quirks that make people scratch their heads.

"What can I do to ya?" is "What can I do for you?"

"Please?" means "Repeat what you said. I didn't understand." It's funny, because that one did not come from my Dad. We're protestants, and "Please?" is an affect from the Westside Catholic Germans, but there were so many of them teaching school in my day it was bound to be that I'd pick it up. The Westsiders have their own set of quirks, and you can usually tell East, West, or North siders if you listen to them for a while. South? That's Kentucky, and they all talk like hillbillies.

"Run over by a beer wagon," means "Died an untimely death of unnatural causes." At least on the north side. I had a boss from up around Wapakoneta, Ohio and he had the same thing-- big Hessian community up there.

Northsiders go to the Pony Keg, not the Convenience Store. It's from a "pony," a small barrel of beer the workmen would put on their shoulder and take home at night.

"That's all." is a common way of ending a conversation. It's from "Das ist alles." If you're not clued-in it sounds like we're cutting you off, but it's meant to be more like "See ya later."

My father's ending vowels were always indistinct and mine end up equally confused. "W" is pronounced "Dub. . . " and what comes next is anybody's guess. It could be "ya" "ah" or something else, but it is never "Dubble-You."

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm from (born & raised) south Arkansas. Attended college at Mississippi State. I'll let y'all guess.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho was settled later than most states and most of the people came in from all over. We really don't have a 'local dialect' as a result. It's a mixture of everything.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
In Northern NY we tend to sound a bit Canadian. When I was in the Navy I used to hear all the time, "You don't sound like you're from New York."

I always took it as a compliment.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Me nope, oh wait, whenever I leave New England I am pegged instantly as from New England, so I must. Funny part my wife is neutral, nobody can tell where she's from.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Wee all es goin tu de dam dear leese dis weak end. Us all hopes do katch sum dem dam piggs. Wee all sho douz likes tu katch dem sum beaches!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No accent here, although everyone else I talk to seems to have one.........

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have no accent. It's yeall that have the accent.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon
5sdad had the question about which accent is the easier to understand.

Some of the Canadian women have an accent I could listen to for hours. And, consider that Canada being Canada, there are many accents within Canada, regional , but also, French, Italian, and many more.

Richard - one time I was sitting at the McDonald's in Dryden and there was a group of older men visiting at the table next to me. They were clearly speaking English, but I could not for the life of me make out what they were saying. I think that it was as much the "lilt" in their voices as anything that was causing the disconnect. (I always enjoy conversing with the folks up that way.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm fairly accent neutral. When I'm in the north, people ask if I'm from the south.

When I'm in the south, people ask if I'm from the north.

When I'm in California, people ask if I'm from the mid-west.

When I'm in Canada, people ask if I'm from Australia (no sheit, been asked that several times)

Yea, we know about your identity crisis, didn't expect you to be the first to admit it. Go ahead, let that run up your skirt.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by shaman
Oh! Don't get me started.

See, the problem is I'm a Cincinnati Krauthead. My mother came from Northern Ohio. My Dad grew up here, in Cincinnati, specifically on the north side. That's significant if you know Cincinnati.

My northern relatives think I talk like a hillbilly. When I go to the KY/TN border to visit KYHillChick's family, they see me as a fast-talking Yankee.

To make matters worse, being a Northsider whose father spoke German before learning English, I've got all these little quirks that make people scratch their heads.

"What can I do to ya?" is "What can I do for you?"

"Please?" means "Repeat what you said. I didn't understand." It's funny, because that one did not come from my Dad. We're protestants, and "Please?" is an affect from the Westside Catholic Germans, but there were so many of them teaching school in my day it was bound to be that I'd pick it up. The Westsiders have their own set of quirks, and you can usually tell East, West, or North siders if you listen to them for a while. South? That's Kentucky, and they all talk like hillbillies.

"Run over by a beer wagon," means "Died an untimely death of unnatural causes." At least on the north side. I had a boss from up around Wapakoneta, Ohio and he had the same thing-- big Hessian community up there.

Northsiders go to the Pony Keg, not the Convenience Store. It's from a "pony," a small barrel of beer the workmen would put on their shoulder and take home at night.

"That's all." is a common way of ending a conversation. It's from "Das ist alles." If you're not clued-in it sounds like we're cutting you off, but it's meant to be more like "See ya later."

My father's ending vowels were always indistinct and mine end up equally confused. "W" is pronounced "Dub. . . " and what comes next is anybody's guess. It could be "ya" "ah" or something else, but it is never "Dubble-You."

You forgot about "Wersh yer hands after you change the earl in the car..."

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by badger
No accent here, although everyone else I talk to seems to have one.........

Pretty much how it is for me.

Folk from Appalachia ain't got no accent.

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Mine changes when I get around my roots or someone from where I grew up, or even fellow southerners while living here in Oregon...

The first time my son was with me when he wasn't real young, when I was on the East Coast... we'd been up in New England.

Before heading west, I dropped down south to Virginia to visit family...

First stop I made after crossing the state line, my son asked me to explain something to him..... he finally stopped me and asked me " who in the hell are you and what did you do with my dad?"

What do you mean, I asked.... which he responded, speak English again would ya.. I can't understand a darn thing you are saying...

When in New England, he barely understood the people with the heavy old Bostonian accent, which I had to translate....

When we got to Virginia I had to translate more people...

When we visited southern West Virginia, he kept on claiming we were in a foreign country, and I talked just like the people Thar/ I mean there...

My favorite two campfire members are Kaywoodie and Oldman 03.... especially Randy, I can listen to him talk all day long.... around Randy, I love as he talks like everybody talked when I was growing up...

Accents today are much less pronounced with the younger generation, I guess due to TV and the internet.... I miss being around folks with accents, that was my version of diversity, vs the way they look at 'diversity' nowadays...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Ya shure, you betcha...
Oh, yahhh, ya think??

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,666 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,154
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.