Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've been bitten the "classic hunting rifle" bug I think - and am keen to add some to my gun cabinet.

I've never owned an older rifle so have some questions.

1) In the older rifle category (let's say 1930s - 1980s vintage) am I better off focusing on European or American rifles? Any significant difference in quality? How about access to replacement parts?

2) I'm primarily a hunter first and foremost - so reliability is paramount. Any reason to believe a well maintained "old" rifle wouldn't be just as reliable as a new rifle?

Apologize if these questions seem elementary - just trying to learn as much as I can before getting out my wallet.

`

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M70. Pre64 if you can find/afford one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If your looking for a bolt action try a Pre64 Model 70.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
American, I agree M70, or maybe Remington M30
European, Mauser or Mannlicher.

Then there are the American lever actions, older designs of the marlins and Winchesters.

Single shot, Sharps and Remington Rolling block as well as the Springfield trap-doors.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a 56-year-old classic: a pre-64 Model 70 in .30-06 that I bought the year that I graduated high school. It saw a lot of hard use early in its life, so my gunsmith gave the old girl a face lift about 20 years ago. I carried it a few days hunting both whitetails and elk last fall, and will carry it again this fall. Once I get another rifle blooded, this one will be my primary hunting rifle from now on.

[Linked Image]

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm often as impressed by commercial Mauser in that same period, and more so by the higher end versions such as Ferlachs, etc. I love 70s, though.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Check out the Browning Safari rifles, especially the early ones build on FN Mauser actions. In my opinion they are better rifles than the later pre-64 Model 70s. I know that statement is heresy in some circles, but I own both.

SR

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mudhen
Here is a 56-year-old classic: a pre-64 Model 70 in .30-06 that I bought the year that I graduated high school. It saw a lot of hard use early in its life, so my gunsmith gave the old girl a face lift about 20 years ago. I carried it a few days hunting both whitetails and elk last fall, and will carry it again this fall. Once I get another rifle blooded, this one will be my primary hunting rifle from now on.

[Linked Image]

mudhen, that is a beautiful example of a great classic hunting rifle. Very nice!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

[Linked Image]

Beautiful rifle Mudhen!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by micro240
I've been bitten the "classic hunting rifle" bug I think - and am keen to add some to my gun cabinet.

I've never owned an older rifle so have some questions.

1) In the older rifle category (let's say 1930s - 1980s vintage) am I better off focusing on European or American rifles? Any significant difference in quality? How about access to replacement parts?

2) I'm primarily a hunter first and foremost - so reliability is paramount. Any reason to believe a well maintained "old" rifle wouldn't be just as reliable as a new rifle?

Apologize if these questions seem elementary - just trying to learn as much as I can before getting out my wallet.

`

I also vote pre 64 model 70 like some of the others have suggested. They are the epitome of the term "classic" American hunting rifle. There are also other old rifles that would also be 100% reliable as well as accurate. These rifles would include sporterized military rifles such as 1903 springfields, m1917 enfields, mauser 98's, and many many more. There are also factory sporters based off of these rifles as well. BSA built sporters from m1917's and p14's that were damn good rifles very similar to the pre 64 model 70. Remington also built rifles from this action. Those were the 30 express and model 720. Good luck trying to find the latter though: They are very rare. Mauser 98 derivatives built commercially, include the interarms MKx, Whitworth, FN, Husqvarna, JC Higgins and many others. I can go on and on about old rifles, but to say these are reliable and can be very accurate is a big understatement. The nice thing about these rifles can also be the price tag. If you are patient, you'll run across some excellent rifles at a hell of a bargain. I don't think you can go wrong buying an old rifle and they are a lot of fun to tinker around with...

Mudhen's rifle above is a damn nice rifle. I have one that is all original. His rifle probably looked more like this the first day he got it:
[Linked Image]

This rifle also shoots like a million dollars:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

After shooting this rifle side by side with newer rifles, the newer rifles were sent packing. 4 other 30-06 rifles were kicked out of the safe because of this one..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The areas that I hunt on a regular basis has little chance for a large buck, so I enjoy hunting with rifles made in the 50's or before. Many times with open sights or receiver sights. It just seems to add a little challenge or excitement to shooting a deer for the pot instead of the wall.
There seems to be an endless supply of classic rifles available on the market today. Certainly the winchester model 70 made in the early years would be great, but there are many more styles to choose from that are fine rifles. Many rifle manufacturers in that time frame made their rifles from FN actions, Husqvarna, various Mausers and others.

The early Remington rifles are fine shooting rifles in bolt actions and pumps. My brother has a Remington 141 in 35 Remington that he has shot numerous .5 inch groups with. I just picked up a Remington 722 in 300 savage that will shoot a 1 inch group with an old weaver scope and a 6 lb trigger. I killed a nice buck this year with a Remington 14 1/2 in 44-40 and a receiver sight.

Just pick one with a clean bore, that you like and have fun. You might be surprised to find out that many of these older guns shoot better than the new rifles do. Don't forget to let us know what you end up with and how it shoots.
Way more fun than just buying a new rifle and scope.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
There is hardly anything more classic or reliable than a properly done Mauser...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Sure it isn’t a beautiful old bolt action but my favorite Classic hunting gun is a Savage 99 in 300 Savage that was left to me by my late Uncle.

Ted
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
There is hardly anything more classic or reliable than a properly done Mauser...

[Linked Image]

Beautiful....

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a classic custom built on an Interarms Mauser action for Ken Howell, chambered in .338 Howell (his "improved" version of the .338-06). This is the one that I need to blood. I promised Ken that I would take an elk with it, but haven't seen a bull yet that I thought was worthy. Maybe this fall... smile

[Linked Image]

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To get your feet wet for a reasonable cost I'd vote for one of the commercial Mauser 98 derivatives. FN produced some really excellent ones for a lot of different manufacturers. Lots of them were in what we'd call budget rifles today so an awful lot of them are still undervalued or I should say underappreciated and can be found for very reasonable prices, sometimes little more than a new Ruger American.

Be careful, you might get hooked. wink We live in a golden age of accurate rifles but there's just something about those old milled steel and walnut creations that modern rifles don't have and can't duplicate...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The German chitt works too. My youngest with a Walther Mauser 7x57 bought in Canada.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What are you going to hunt and where?

In another post here you wrote:

"I am looking to add to my gun cabinet with a rifle that will be used for whitetail deer hunting at close range in thick cover. Think maximum of 75 meter shots and often at moving deer. The two I am considering the most are the Tikka Battue Lite and the Browning BLR. Caliber will be likely be 7mm-08 or 308 - both are offered in it.

Any and all opinions welcome. I have primarily been a bowhunter and am slowly transitioning into the rifle hunting world."

Go to gunshops and handle the guns they have both new and used.

Find one you like the best and buy one that's priced fair.

If you like a scope on a hunting rifle then add one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here is a classic custom built on an Interarms Mauser action for Ken Howell, chambered in .338 Howell (his "improved" version of the .338-06). This is the one that I need to blood. I promised Ken that I would take an elk with it, but haven't seen a bull yet that I thought was worthy. Maybe this fall... smile

[Linked Image]

Wow! Just wow!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Not sure what your point it - I ended up buying the Battue after doing my research and checking it out in my local gun shop - and it sits in my gun cabinet right now.

Older rifles have caught my attention just from an interest perspective and I don't know much about them - thus asking here.

Don't want to answer the post? Just ignore it - simple.

Originally Posted by Savage_99
What are you going to hunt and where?

In another post here you wrote:

"I am looking to add to my gun cabinet with a rifle that will be used for whitetail deer hunting at close range in thick cover. Think maximum of 75 meter shots and often at moving deer. The two I am considering the most are the Tikka Battue Lite and the Browning BLR. Caliber will be likely be 7mm-08 or 308 - both are offered in it.

Any and all opinions welcome. I have primarily been a bowhunter and am slowly transitioning into the rifle hunting world."

Go to gunshops and handle the guns they have both new and used.

Find one you like the best and buy one that's priced fair.

If you like a scope on a hunting rifle then add one.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,402
Posts18,470,144
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.