-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.22 and cb caps, after u WAC your boo and your waiting for days ....cause of chitty weather, the 22and the fishing pole will be good entertainment. One thing about boo up there, they see really good,on my boo trips a rule we came up with is no black hats....they stick out like a sore thumb/I dropped off my hunting partner then I went like 2 miles farther down around the conner, and got into a good spot to pull a ambush..... So me and a few hundred boo had lots of time to watch my Buddy's hat come Across the tundra.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
GB1

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Hey there, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but as I was thinking about going back to Alaska again, I realized that I'd never reported back as promised. Thanks again for all of the help here. Much of the advice was quite useful.

So here's me and my 'bou.

[img]https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPpTnlUpeqyVOyeokrnwiLevKOOo_ijONA5YDbq[/img]

We had a fantastic trip. We didn't see too many caribou, especially mature bulls, but I'm really happy with the one I got. I wasn't too happy that I shot it just a bit under 2 miles from camp.

We didn't see a single ptarmigan and we also didn't catch a single fish from the lake we were on. My brother couldn't stand the idea of not having bonfires, so we shipped Duraflame logs up via Amazon Prime. Our genius was admired by all of the other hunters at Brooks Range.

Brooks Range was fantastic and we really enjoyed the time we spent in Bettles and the people we met there.

We're working on putting together a float trip for 2019 now.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Headed up there next year for my first Alaska hunt, looking forward to it. I do a little bit of Coyote calling, would it be worth taking up a call to see if I can call in a Wolf or would that not be a good idea with grizzly bears in the area ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On giardia and chlorine:

Results of these experiments at the three temperatures studied can be summarized as follows: at 25°C, exposure to 1.5 mg/liter for 10 min killed all cysts at pH 6, 7, and 8. At 15°C, 2.5 mg of chlorine per liter for 10 min killed all cysts at pH 6, but at pH 7 and 8 small numbers of cysts remained viable after 30 min but not after 60 min. At 5°C, 1 mg of chlorine per liter for 60 min failed to kill all the cysts at any pH tested. At this temperature, 2 mg of chlorine per liter killed all cysts after 60 min at pH 6 and 7, but not at pH 8. A chlorine concentration of 4 mg/liter killed all the cysts at all three pH values after 60 min, but not after 30 min. A chlorine concentration of 8 mg/liter killed all Giardia cysts at pH 6 and 7 after contact for 10 min, and at pH 8 after 30 min.

From FEMA:

Clear clean water: add 8 drops of unscented household bleach per gallon

Water with an obvious happening party therein: add 16 drops per gallon.

Our group (3 to 5 persons) packs about a 6 ounce squeeze bottle of bleach on all of our wilderness trips. We usually have about half of it left after trips of up to 3 weeks. Dip it from the source, treat, wait a bit, and have at it. Much quicker than neighbors that spent about 40 minutes a day filtering water.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/05/18.

1Minute
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It was great to meet you guys. I did chuckle at the fake firewood.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by 1100RemingtonMan
Headed up there next year for my first Alaska hunt, looking forward to it. I do a little bit of Coyote calling, would it be worth taking up a call to see if I can call in a Wolf or would that not be a good idea with grizzly bears in the area ?

We bought wolf tags but didn't see any wolves or sign of them. We only saw one grizzly and were very surprised that it never touched the gut pile he was straight downwind from.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
It was great to meet you guys. I did chuckle at the fake firewood.

Our bonfires were epic! Are they selling it in the gift shop in Bettles now?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1100RemingtonMan
I've had wolves respond to howls but I've never been able to get them close enough for a shot. Most of the time it's just dumb luck running into them or spotting them before they spot you. As for using a predator call, if you're going to use one I'd do it far away from camp and somewhere where you can see 360 ° around you, bears have been known to sneak in on hunters calling for predators or moose.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 33 invisible), 2,224 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.