Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
...that is a bullet bonding to the cartridge case over time. Eg:I decided to run some Hornady SST'S and GMX'S through my hunting rifle and found the loads showed signs of high pressure,tougher than normal extraction and catering primers and these were from the same lot of loads exactly. So I returned to my bench to find out why and pulled bullets with great effort and seated some deeper and heard a click.
Of course then I started to do some reading about this and is a real thing.I was using Hornady brass, and all other components checked out to.
I have put this info out there and have told all kinds of things and some disbelieving me.So ,What have you experienced?( I don't tumble clean and wipe out necks of Hornady sizing wax ) Tony

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a couple of cases that were hard to extract at Quemado last year, and they were loads that I had been using for years. I just pulled some out of the 100 round container at random and shot them, as they were all the same loads. Might have been the problem. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It happens. Since I was able to start storing my bulk ammo in climate controlled, I've not really had an issue.

Before that 1000s of rounds would sit in the loading room in our TX heat and if not shot the year or two after loading would often cold weld a few adn or split necks badly.

I did start annealing necks if KNEW it would take some years before I might shoot it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Wouldn't bumping the seating depth a little bit take care of the cold welds? It sure helped with the asphalt sealed necks on a bunch of Lake City M118 & M852 ammo a friend had.

Somewhere I've read of a serious shooter who deliberately loaded his cartridges long if they weren't to be used right away. He'd seat to the correct depth before going to a match.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, seating bullets slightly deeper is an easy way to break the bond.

Another way to prevent it is not clean brass unless necessary, and it rarely is. Aside from wiping off cases that fall on the ground, I rarely clean 'em. The inside of the necks gets a light brushing, but not enough to remove the last light layer of powder-fouling. I haven't had a problem with cold-welding in many years.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I was surprised to see how much effort it took to break this bond with a
.277 caliber bullet
Next question- larger bullets have greater contact due to a larger surface are between bullet and cartridge case/neck. With a 45/70, has this bonding process ever caused failure with a firearm?
I am also a 45/70 user and ocassionally I here of rifle failures and it seems a mystery. Just wondering folks...Tony

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Another way to prevent it is not clean brass unless necessary, and it rarely is. Aside from wiping off cases that fall on the ground, I rarely clean 'em. The inside of the necks gets a light brushing, but not enough to remove the last light layer of powder-fouling. I haven't had a problem with cold-welding in many years.

I like reading you more and more grin

All American

All the time
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
John,

Just to clarify, are you saying you don't clean the necks by tumbling? I put mine in for a fairly short while and the insides still look pretty dark.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by comerade
I was surprised to see how much effort it took to break this bond with a
.277 caliber bullet
Next question- larger bullets have greater contact due to a larger surface are between bullet and cartridge case/neck. With a 45/70, has this bonding process ever caused failure with a firearm?
I am also a 45/70 user and ocassionally I here of rifle failures and it seems a mystery. Just wondering folks...Tony

I have never seen an issue in the 45-70. But I would point out that, while the surface area is somewhat greater, (depending on the bearing length of the bullet), it is actually less in the larger diameters relative to the surface area of the bullet's base so that plays into it I would imagine. I know that when interia-pulling bullets from loaded ammo, I'd much rather pound 300s out of 45-70 cases than 140s out of 6.5 Swede cases; the former being some of the easiest to pull, while the latter are some of the most difficult. (Of course, unlike with standard ignition bullet removal, interia pulling has nothing to do with bullet diameter.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
SOTG,

I don't clean brass at all by tumbling, unless absolutely forced to for some reason.

Dunno if tumbling "for a fairly short while" would prevent cold-welding or not.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I can't help but wonder if sometimes the cleaning additives we put in our tumbling media doesn't leave a layer behind and then become a problem between the brass and the bullet later on. I always check older ammo by seating deeper before heading to the range.... sometimes it's there and sometimes not.....I've seen the less of it with Hornady bullets for some reason.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I quit putting any additives at all in my walnut shell media, and I'm rarely tumbling them anymore anyway.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't help but wonder if sometimes the cleaning additives we put in our tumbling media doesn't leave a layer behind and then become a problem between the brass and the bullet later on.

I don't know if weld bonding was my trouble, but I don't tumble cases with or without cleaning additives. I do run a brush through the necks, in and out a couple of times. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a one pound can of HBN and have been lubing the inside of my case necks with it using a nylon brush to (maybe) keep the cold weld thing at bay and to help with a uniform bullet seat and release.
Does it work? I have no idea. But I do it anyway.

Last edited by WYcoyote; 03/27/17.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
SOTG,

I don't clean brass at all by tumbling, unless absolutely forced to for some reason.

Thank you, sir.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mathman

Somewhere I've read of a serious shooter who deliberately loaded his cartridges long if they weren't to be used right away. He'd seat to the correct depth before going to a match.

I've read the same. Don't know if it's the same source, but it's a good idea.

In all my years of loading/shooting/hunting it has only happened to me 1 X.
They were 06 loads that had been loaded more than 2 yrs.

It is real as is evident from the responses here.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Is the problem happening with new brass also or is it only after tumbling used brass?
If the cleaning process by tumbling is causing this issue. Would setting the brass aside after tumbling for a week or so before reloading cure this problem?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tumbling has never gotten the insides of case necks really clean for me, even with nut shells and added cleaner. Maybe ceramic would. Usually, my cleaning consists of wiping them off with a rag to get any grit off.

When I FLS, I dip the necks in powdered mica or lately one of the little tubs full of powdered lube and beads. That ought to be enough contamination to stop cold welding.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
SOTG,

Thank you, sir.

And a very hearty "Thank You!" from here as well.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Wasn't Weld Bonding the wagon master on "Wagon Train"?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 3,242 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,380
Posts18,469,532
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.