Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Looks like they did it for a reason. Email from Hornady.

"When most manufactures of these types of cartridges work up loads that are exceeding the 50,000 psi range, they are going to want a primer cup that will be able to handle these pressures. We designed the cartridge cases with the LR primers to avoid any issues with the primers piercing during the firing of the cartridge. You would not want to use a LP primer on a cartridge case that has a LR primer pocket in it. This would allow the primer to seat to deep in the pocket and possibly give you ignition issues. Thanks"

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 03/28/17.
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

"When most manufactures of these types of cartridges work up loads that are exceeding the 50,000 psi range, they are going to want a primer cup that will be able to handle these pressures. We designed the cartridge cases with the LR primers to avoid any issues with the primers piercing during the firing of the cartridge. You would not want to use a LP primer on a cartridge case that has a LR primer pocket in it. This would allow the primer to seat to deep in the pocket and possibly give you ignition issues. Thanks"

I've known this for as long as Star Line has made brass and it is only a problem, if you have an over length firing pin. I didn't bring this up in my first response because I didn't think that you would understand. Most people have been useing LP primers and have zero issues. Only a manufacturer that has Ammo shot in all types of revolvers should even have a concern. You will not have a problem with LP primers at even higher pressure if your firing pin dimensions are correct.

But carry on.

Last edited by jwp475; 03/28/17.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Hornady came to the .475 Linebaugh game late -- much later than Buffalo Bore. The SAAMI max is 50,000 PSI. You don't want to use a LR primer for all of the aforementioned reasons. So what is the issue and why is this thread still alive when there really isn't anything to debate? That's a rhetorical question -- no need to answer. grin

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
No matter how late they came to the party it is who I have to dance with since they are the only cases I could get at the time. So the question is valid since they do show their data with WLRs. Something I thought strange.

I did try a few starting loads with CCI 350s with no problem.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

I've known this for as long as Star Line has made brass and it is only a problem, if you have an over length firing pin. I didn't bring this up in my first response because I didn't think that you would understand. Most people have been useing LP primers and have zero issues. Only a manufacturer that has Ammo shot in all types of revolvers should even have a concern. You will not have a problem with LP primers at even higher pressure if your firing pin dimensions are correct.

But carry on.

Plan to. Thanks

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
No matter how late they came to the party it is who I have to dance with since they are the only cases I could get at the time. So the question is valid since they do show their data with WLRs. Something I thought strange.

I did try a few starting loads with CCI 350s with no problem.

The 475L was originally made from 45-70 rifle brass and has always had LR primer pockets. We have always loaded them with LP primers.

You asked the question and then argued with everyone's answer.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

But carry on.

Plan to. Thanks

Idiots usually do!

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Now you're getting personal for know reason. Explain yourself please.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm sorry you don't like being pressed on your answers. No one could answer the original question on Hornady's use of WLRs. I did make a mistake in relying on others than Hornady for the answers. When I did get the answers you attack me instead of considering Hornady's reasoning.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I tried Winchester Large Rifle Primers in my BFR and got misfires, so I quit using them. Back in 2006 when John Linebaugh returned my Ruger Bisley converted to .475 Linebaugh he let me try some of his handloads. He was using WLPs and this is his load.

Bullet: Belt Mountain 370 gr. Punch Bullet
Powder: H-110 28.0 grs.
Primer: Winchester Large Pistol
Case: Hornady
Comments: Ammo from John Linebaugh for penetration test in wet newspaper – went thru 48 inches of paper!

I've only done a little work with the CP 410 gr. WFNGC but here it is (a starting load really).

Gun: Ruger Bisley 5 1/2 inch bbl.

Bullet: Cast Performance 410 gr. WFN-GC (.475)
Powder: H-110 23.0 grs.
Primer: Winchester Large Pistol

A similar load fired in my BFR.

Bullet: Hunter’s Supply 412 gr. FP
Powder: H-110 25.0 grs.
Primer: WLP
Velocity 1316 fps

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thank you for the info.

Do you think the misfires were due to the BFR not having a hard enough hammer fall or was there a good enough dent in the primer that it should have gone off?

I have recently read reports of WLRs not working 100% in rifles too. The reason I ask.

G
GJN Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have two FA 475's and a Bowen Nimrod. I have used Federal 210 large rifle primers, CCI 350's and Winchester LP without a round ever failing to go bang using any of these primers. For H110 loads I use CCI 350's and for HS6 or 231 loads I would recommend Winchester LP though I use CCI 350's for everything as it can get pretty cold here in Montana.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No logical reason for a hand loader to use a large rifle primer in instead of a large pistol magnum primer in a 475L. Infant the most accurate load will be much easier to find with LP mag primers with 296/H-110. As well as most other powders

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
@Just a Hunter,

If I remember right the BFR left a good indention - but it wasn't enough for the first hammer drop to set them off. They did ignite the second time round. I never did try Federal 210s which are a little more sensitive.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks. I haven't tried the WLRs yet, but do have some loaded. So far the CCI 350's worked fine.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (160user, 007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 55 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,628
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.