Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I like this one;

A '54 Winchester Super Grade in .257 Roberts.

[Linked Image]

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Man I like that rifle!

Originally Posted by ingwe
Of course theres always a sporterized Enfield .303.....

[Linked Image]

Hell of a gnu critter there too!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by klondike_mike
Some great advice here. If I were starting over I'd look at well done sporterized 1903 Springfields. Collectors are only interested in original military condition versions so you can buy a lot of quality for relatively short money. You said reliability was important to you, well world war 1 and 2 were pretty good proving grounds. Here's mine:
[Linked Image]

Your 1903 is an awesome rifle. The only downfall to those and my favorite's (m1917) is their heft. Built strong as a tank, but a little on the heavy side... Here's my 1917 for chits and giggles. Damn sure not as nice as most of these posted, but I really enjoy hunting with the old girl:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is my no frills, get er done in any kind of weather rifle...
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by donsm70
I like this one;

[Linked Image]

donsm70

Me too.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by donsm70
I like this one;

[Linked Image]

donsm70

Oooohhhhhh...dats about as classic as an American rifle gets! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I enjoy hunting with what I consider classic rifles. I can find myself on a deer stand with anything from a 94 Winchester made in 1897 to a Husqvarna in 30/06. With Marlin Texans, several Remington 141's and a 14, Savage 99's, Winchester 88's and 100's likely to show up too.

My current favorite is this 1903 Springfield that some guy, probably named Bubba, did a fair job on. It hasn't been drilled and tapped for scope mounts and I don't plan on drilling it. Seems to shoot just fine with the receiver sight if I limit my shots to 100 yards.

There are a bunch of good classics out there and they have many years of service left in them. To my way of thinking, I get much more enjoyment out of hunting with a "classic" than I do hunting with one of my fiberglass and stainless, modern, wonder rifles.

[Linked Image]

Harry
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For a turn key classic its tough to beat a pre-64. I have been down the mauser road, but I feel by the time you add a trigger and safety you are money well ahead by just getting a M70. If I wanted a ready to go mauser, I'd go FN commercial like the Browning Safari or FN supreme. The husky's are the best bargain going, everyone Ive owned was super accurate with no fuss.

For rifles other than bolt, the Rem 14, 141, 760 are very "classic" imo. Ive just never been a gig level guy, but if it has 35 Rem on the barrel its good to go. The win 71 is about as classic as it gets, but pricey.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Now that's a classic. Very nice.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by klondike_mike
Some great advice here. If I were starting over I'd look at well done sporterized 1903 Springfields. Collectors are only interested in original military condition versions so you can buy a lot of quality for relatively short money. You said reliability was important to you, well world war 1 and 2 were pretty good proving grounds. Here's mine:
[Linked Image]

Your 1903 is an awesome rifle. The only downfall to those and my favorite's (m1917) is their heft. Built strong as a tank, but a little on the heavy side... Here's my 1917 for chits and giggles. Damn sure not as nice as most of these posted, but I really enjoy hunting with the old girl:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is my no frills, get er done in any kind of weather rifle...
[Linked Image]

That 1917 is very nice. You're right though they do get kind of heavy. A little heavier every year infact. smile

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My idea of "Classic" rifles.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Allow me, if you will, to make a humble suggestion...while there are many rifles that could be considered classics, I prefer rifles built back in the days when surplus military actions were cheap and plentiful. My preference would be a Mauser 98, but I've seen some very nice Springfields, Enfeilds, P17's and others. Here is the closest I have to fitting the bill...

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Century Arms M98 I restocked in a NOS Fajen. First rifle I bought myself(I was 19) and the first rifle stock I did(not that I've done all that many). Killed my biggest whitetail buck with that rifle in 1996 when I was 21.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
...Century Arms M98 I restocked in a NOS Fajen...

Good looking stock.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well I feel no shame is saying that the pre-64 M70's are all that much. Nice rifles but my preference is something built on a proper 98 Mauser. My choice for doing a build is the J.C. Higgins M50 or 51 made for Sears using genuine FN Mauser actions, chrome lined barrels by High Standard. Every one I've shot has been accurate and the only changes I'd make would be to slim the somewhat clubby stock down some and add a Timney trigger. They come in 30-06 and .270 Win.
I did one build using an M50 rebarreling to 7x57 and a more European style stock. it's one of my favorite rifles. All my custom and semi-customs have been built on Mayser actions, some commercial and some military. The companion piece for the 7x57 is a .35 Whelen based on an Oberndorf military action and is tied for favorite rifle with the 7x57.
I have owned a few pre-64 M70s and they've all gone down the road. I don't miss them.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Classic rifles come in a wide variety.

Remington Model 8 25 Rem.
[Linked Image]

Winchester 1902 22 S and L single shot
[Linked Image]

Some domestic like the 64 and 71 Winchesters
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Some foreign (from back to front WR Pape 256 Mannlicher, Husqvarna 46 9.3x57, Genschow 10.75x57.
[Linked Image]

And some sold in a momentary lapse in judgement - a Sedgley Springfield in 375 Whelen.
[Linked Image]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
...Century Arms M98 I restocked in a NOS Fajen...

Good looking stock.

Think I paid about $40 for it on Ebay. It was a lot of work but, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Love the look of a vintage stock on a Mauser, someday I'll send it out and get it checkered.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Mart,some cool stuff there!

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks. Not much for standard stuff in my collection, or I guess I should say, accumulation. Collection implies some forethought.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer 6.5x54 built by Josef Mischitz,engraved by Albin Obiltschnig. [img:center][Linked Image][/img] [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mart
Classic rifles come in a wide variety.

Remington Model 8 25 Rem.
[Linked Image]

Winchester 1902 22 S and L single shot
[Linked Image]

Some domestic like the 64 and 71 Winchesters
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Some foreign (from back to front WR Pape 256 Mannlicher, Husqvarna 46 9.3x57, Genschow 10.75x57.
[Linked Image]

And some sold in a momentary lapse in judgement - a Sedgley Springfield in 375 Whelen.
[Linked Image]

Now show your real cools ones with the bolt handles switched over to the other side... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Day-um!

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

224 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 16 invisible), 1,682 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,804
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.