Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by gregintenn
The original post was beautifully written.

Mr. Chamberlain, You ever do any professional writing?

Thank you. Yes, I have three novels on Amazon.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
And I can't recall that we have any month that I have not seen 100 or really dang close to it at some point over the years...only put wood in the stove twice this last "winter"

My stove hasn't gone out since last November.

"Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away."

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Just the title of this thread gives me a the willys. Can't be anything but trouble.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I thought getting old was a PITA, but being old is worse. 'Course if I had thought I was gonna live this long I woulda took better care of myself and taken fewer chances!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Originally Posted by gregintenn
The original post was beautifully written.

Mr. Chamberlain, You ever do any professional writing?

Thank you. Yes, I have three novels on Amazon.

#1 best seller, What not to say about your wife on the Internet. wink

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by T LEE
I thought getting old was a PITA, but being old is worse. 'Course if I had thought I was gonna live this long I woulda took better care of myself and taken fewer chances!

Micky Mantle couldn't have said it better T!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Dang, Dan! This is so well written, if I were a man of words such as you obviously are, I could not change a single word in this post and make it one bit better, excellent writing. This really sums things up, thank you.

T LEE...I call BS on your post! You know as well as I do that if we knew we were going to live this long when we were young, we still would have lived with the petal to the metal and been tickled to come sliding into home base torn, tattered, and grinnin! NOW we can regret a few things....but not many!!

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by littlecmonkey
I think I'm the reverse...all summer long, drenched in sweat, only enjoying morning and evening...I can't wait for cold and starting the woodstove.

^^^^Amen!!! It's almost depressing when the winter solstice is passed on the calendar and I start thinking about mowing grass, bugs on the windshield, fighting weeds the possibility of breathing forest fire smoke. Not to mention roads jammed with tourists.

Seeing a good thick layer of snow on top of the grass gives me an immense amount of satisfaction. Similar to loading the mother-in-law on an airplane and watching her disappear at 500 MPH. smirk

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've lived many little boy's dreams.
I only have 2 regrets - both leading to "repairs" (surgery)

If'n I'd let go of the gate BEFORE that big heifer ran over me, I wouldn't have to had the left shoulder re-built!

If'n I'd had my butt planted, I wouldn't have taken that "swan dive" off the feed truck, that resulted in needing my right shoulder re-built!

I even married (UP) to a fine lady, who puts up with my foibles (to an extent) - Kaywoodie claims she is "adult supervision" smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Anytime I hear daddy red bird singing and smell Texas Mountain Laurel blooming I'm instantly transported back to the east side of Cedar Mountain
In Llano county. Same for me now as it was almost 40 years ago!

You can still smell chitt? wink

I wish i could still smell the piney woods or the salt water bay at the boat landing like i could when i was a kid.

Be nice to smell some nookie too. Now when i get close enough to smell it, i already got it licked. frown

Last edited by jaguartx; 03/29/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Really enjoyed the post Mr. Chamberlain !

Awesome wright up.

I'm on duty tonight, just finish a workout with the younger firefighters. I wont be able to walk in the morning, it reminds me that I'm getting old.
My grandmother once told me that "you will pay for everything that you do". Talking about working or playing to hard.

I guess all the aches and pains just remind us that were still alive...

Was it Shakespeare or Hemingway that said "Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once."

I'd rather be busted up and worn out from fighting than to die with the guilt of being a punk.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
The other night, my wife commented that she missed being young. She's only 56... (don't tell her I let that slip.)

It was a rather cold night and I found myself pondering this a bit when I took the dog out. It was freezing. I remembered when I was a kid, freezing didn't mean what it does now. I could play all day in the snow, even after losing sensation in the toes. I loved playing in the snow, even after the snot froze to my lip! Sledding, snow-ball fights, skating, skiing...playing Friggin "Nanuk of the North!"

Now, cold is damned uncomfortable. But, standing there, waiting for the dog to decide which square foot she was going to baptize, I closed my eyes and breathed in the cold. It felt the same as when I was a kid. Same effect on the nose hairs! Same smell. Nothing different.

Then I opened my eyes and looked into the Southwestern sky and being a cold, winter night, Orion was right there, where he'd always been, and I found myself remembering that since childhood, I'd never tired of seeing Orion for the first time every year...and being a bit disappointed when I'd look up and realize he was gone for the season.

The other day, I was at Dairy Queen. I was having a cone and my 22 year old daughter was having a strawberry sundae. You have to realize, that when she was 3, I introduced her to Dairy Queen strawberry sundaes and that's all she ever orders from there. When she was 3, she's stand on the seat and I'd spoon it into her like a little bird! Now, at 22 she can feed herself - but I still buy.

I looked around and noted there were a lot of geriatrics present. They were all having soft serve deserts of one sort or another. Many of them were on the far side of 80. I wondered if the ice-cream tasted any different to them, than the first time they'd ever had it? It tastes the same to me. My father introduced me to the peanut buster parfait - which was his favorite. I haven't had one in years. He's been gone since 1990 and the next time I go to Dairy Queen, I'm having one...just to see if it tastes like I remember.

My wife and I took a 5 mile speed walk Saturday. On the walk, I tried to feel different at 61 than I did when I was 16. But the muscles were still strong, the breathing controlled, the heart rate right where it should be for that level of exercise. No sore muscles, no aching in the calves. Same sweat on my chest and back. Later, I stiffened up after relaxing, but I remember that happening after a grueling track and field event when I was in high school too. Nothing really different.

So, I'm not sure I miss being young. There is a certain melancholy that comes when I realize the road ahead is shorter than the one I've already traveled, but so far, no complaints.

But, one final thought I'd like to leave with you. Now that I've practiced nursing for 9 years, I have to tell you, good health is a God Send, but it can be fleeting. You will pay for the mistakes you've made and the abuse you've given yourself. So many of my patients are very old and very infirm. So, don't make fun of them. Think of their faces as a mirror you will one day gaze into. Then close your eyes, and take a bite of Strawberry Sundae - and savor it.

Thank you Dan!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by littlecmonkey
I think I'm the reverse...all summer long, drenched in sweat, only enjoying morning and evening...I can't wait for cold and starting the woodstove.

I'm nearly 61 and with you 100% there! I'll be stacking 7 cords of wood next month. I enjoy it. I take my time and just enjoy it.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mark shubert
If'n I'd let go of the gate BEFORE that big heifer ran over me, I wouldn't have to had the left shoulder re-built!

You shouldn't have been teasing your prom date!

If'n I'd had my butt planted, I wouldn't have taken that "swan dive" off the feed truck, that resulted in needing my right shoulder re-built!

I can't help you with this one.

I even married (UP) to a fine lady, who puts up with my foibles (to an extent) - Kaywoodie claims she is "adult supervision" smile

We have all married much more than we deserved my friend, Kaywoodie is probably correct. grin

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I still remember the moment I realized I was, indeed, no longer a young man. I fell of the semi trailer and landed with a "thud", instead of just bouncing like normal. I was 42.

Ten years later, I still absolutely love working with the guys on the farm, and even through seven eye surgeries and a close call due to DVT (blood clots), I'm more than holding my own. Last week I realized just how much I still love working close to physical exhaustion. The difference is that I can't do it for a week straight anymore. The concession to age I have to make is an extra recovery day per week.

But I can still pick up the redhead around her waist and "curl" her up for a kiss. Which is proof we're both in fighting shape.... wink.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I'm 63. I have some work to do to get to where I need to be, and I'll do it and get there. But my recent GF, who is 46, gives me hope that I'm not over the hill yet, kickin' boots for 2-4 hours at a time. Life ain't bad.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

297 members (1badf350, 1_deuce, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 40 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,035
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.