Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I bought a used encore rifle barrel in .460 s&w. 20" version. 2 issues
1. Had to shim the scope mounts because it still shot low after my scope ran out of adjustment. 3-9x40 Leupold

2. Getting a lot of soot on the rear barrel face and on the brass when firing the gun. Also quite inaccurate with the one load tried. Federal fusion
I contacted previous owner (a Campfire member) and he didn't recall having this problem. He only shot the Hornady flex tip load and got softball size groups at 200 yards.

Anybody had similar issues with Encore barrels? Any fixes?

Thanks

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Excessive headspace can be a problem with Encores. The lock-up on the actions can introduce some slop. Mine always shot much better with reloaded brass fired in the chamber.

That, and the custom hinge pins from Bellm that tighten up the action:

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I had a 25-06 Encore barrel that had a bad habit of not going bang when the hammer dropped. Seemed to occur very randomly. I guess it could have been my handloads.

I sold it to a dude on EBay. I never heard back from him so I guess I worked for him.

Other than that it seemed to shoot okay. Not earth shattering, sub-MOA groups, but somewhere around 1.5 inch groups.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
What kind of scope mounts are you using? I would make sure the rings are the same height.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
The rings are the same height. I switched them front and back and the scope still pointed the same place on my boresighter

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I contacted Mr. Bellm and he said the Federal Fusion loads may be too hot for this weapon. Said they run hotter than the Hornady. Hmm...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know Bellm is a guru on the Encore, but I can't imagine any safe revolver load being too hot for the Encore. Any elaboration here?

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by selmer
I know Bellm is a guru on the Encore, but I can't imagine any safe revolver load being too hot for the Encore. Any elaboration here?

Good point. And since it headspaces on the rim, cancel my comment on headspace. Seems to me that choosing a straight-walled revolver cartridge wouldn't be the best choice for accuracy in a rifle, for that reason.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Doesn't a 45-70 headspace on the rim?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep. Not saying headspacing on the rim=inaccurate, just a general observation.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Update: borrowed an mgm barrel and shot same ammo. No black soot on barrel face. Didn't have to shim scope mounts as I did with the tc barrel. Used same base and rings

Bought the mgm barrel. Wondering what to do with the TC barrel. May contact the company??? I'm told that customer service is slower these days.

Anybody have a contact there? Thanks

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I was in search of a taller front sight blade for my Encore 12 gauge barrel and contacted their customer service number. The nice lady told me she'd have one of their barrel/sight techs get back to me. The guy called back within a few minutes, understood what I needed, but couldn't locate on their website, and had the correct blade shipped to me that day.

It had been a long time since I had contacted the T/C folks, sometime back in 1997 or so rich after the factory fire, and I was greatly impressed with their performance.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The bad thing is they're probably going to want your whole gun for testing instead of just the barrel.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by taz4570
I was in search of a taller front sight blade for my Encore 12 gauge barrel and contacted their customer service number. The nice lady told me she'd have one of their barrel/sight techs get back to me. The guy called back within a few minutes, understood what I needed, but couldn't locate on their website, and had the correct blade shipped to me that day.

It had been a long time since I had contacted the T/C folks, sometime back in 1997 or so rich after the factory fire, and I was greatly impressed with their performance.

How recently? Thanks

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by shouldershot
Originally Posted by taz4570

How recently? Thanks

Why not try something totally out of the box and give them a call?

https://www.tcarms.com/contact

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Lat fall. Like smokey said, can't hurt to call.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Called TC recently about one piece intregal scope mount for a Impact muzzleloader and reached S&W Holdings phone number, and then transferred to TC. Sadly the guy on the other end knew less than I did. Good Luck! Hopefully not all the knowledgeable people exited TC.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (1936M71, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,855 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,370
Posts18,469,135
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.