Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All:

I picked up a mint one of these yesterday. I mean 99% mint. Maybe shot a few times. Anyways, this one is a Model 100 with 28 inch barrels. Mod/Full. Made in Japan.

When researching these, I find a lot more of them are in 20 vs 12 gauge. I find that odd. Usually, it's the other way around. For this make and model, the 20 gauge is a lot more common.

I am really liking this shotgun. It will be used to hunt partridges and woodcock here in Michigan.

Anyone else have one of these? If yes, what are your experiences with it?

Thank you,
RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My dad had an Ithaca 12 gauge 26" version with IC/MOD barrels. He liked it for busting bunnies our beagles pushed through the thickets. It was stolen in a home burglary. I used it a few times, from memory it was a good handling and good shooting shotgun.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They are great guns. I've been on the look out for one in 20ga. Good score! I think DocR has a few.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Have the 12ga 200E with 26" barrels. Would love to have a matching 20ga. LOVE EM!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have a 500 O/U in 12 that I bought a few years back primarily based on some the good advice I received here.

Luv that 12 to death in fact I prefer it over my used Citori
I bought 2 months ago.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have a 12 gauge M/F with 28" barrels. It also has full engraving on the receiver which makes it more desirable. They are very fine guns. Much better than the typical BSS in my opinion. One of the few S/S's I own that I can hit with. Only thing to watch out for is hairline cracks in the butt stock where it meets the scalloped receiver. They are a great value, but getting harder to find because cowboy action shooters are buying them up and lopping off the barrels. Blasphemy!

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by orion03
They are a great value, but getting harder to find because cowboy action shooters are buying them up and lopping off the barrels. Blasphemy!

That sucks!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I had one w 26 " ic & m chokes. And a magnum version w 30" bbls and a beaver tail style forend if I recall . The 26" gun was great for hunting light but handled well. Recoil was a bit much for shooting numerous times as in a round of sporting clays or even a hot dove hunt. It would give you a bruised shoulder due to being pretty light. The magnum model was heavier and better if you plan high volume shooting. Of course it was not as pleasant to carry. Buy it as they are really excellent guns and a bargain . Oh yeah the bores are chrome lined.

Last edited by bangeye; 04/04/17.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Excellent SXS with very good quality innards... You did good.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have (or had, my oldest son has it now) a 200 in 20 gauge, IC & M, bought new around 1970. Perfect quail and woodcock gun. Lately I am told it has taken to ejecting live shells when opened unfired. You won't have that problem with the 100. You might want to see about getting the chokes opened up on yours.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can you open up the chokes on a chrome lined bore? Not sure about this.

`Bring Enough Gun`
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All:

I looked over the gun very well. It is a quality made firearm no doubt. All the numbers match. This gun is about new. It does have the worst attribute you can have with a gun. It is too nice to hunt with. Lol.

I bought it because what I paid for it and what you get new for similar money, there is no comparison. I am planning on having only one double, and this will serve that purpose nicely.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by orion03
Can you open up the chokes on a chrome lined bore? Not sure about this.

Yes some smiths don't want to do it as it's hard on their cutters but yes. The only thing is you can see a small ring where the chrome is removed. it's no different than if a chromed barrel had screw chokes installed. I've had a couple of chromed guns done. Mike Orlen can do it for you.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Had one, stock cracked. They are nice guns but known to crack stocks.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have a 20 and recently sold my 12 to Doc Rocket. They are quality pieces.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Glass bedding the head of the stock fixes the chronic cracking problem and will stop any cracks that exist (LOTS of shotguns with drawbolt buttstocks, and some that don't like the LC Smith, have this problem).

Be sure that when you send a gun with chrome-lined barrels to a 'smith to be rechoked HE KNOWS that it's chrome-lined. Otherwise he may use a reamer that isn't hard enough and try to ream them too fast and you will have a mess.

Ahlman's in MN will do this job for a slight extra charge. And they do it RIGHT.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by blairvt
Had one, stock cracked. They are nice guns but known to crack stocks.
As Mesa said above - lots of shotguns with buttstocks attached like the M100 will develop cracks.. Very common.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Had a 12 gauge 100, 26 inch barrels ic,mod. Great gun wish I still had it..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,658 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.