Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mudhen
Thanks, Buzz. I have all but quit posting on these threads because the same old bullshit just keeps getting rolled out by the usual suspects. About all that I can add is, "idiots abound."

That goes both ways.

Obviously the organization is controversial, to say the least.

There's more than one view on things. Some organizations are Left leaning in both funding and policy. Some are middle of the road, and have a few items they lean left on, and few they lean right on. And some are pretty conservative in funding, policy and actions as well as agenda.

It's okay to support whatever you want. Or to not support it.

I see BHA as a middle of the road organization.

But those middle of the road policies and ideologies are what keep me from supporting them

Just like you were all in for the National monument designation there outside Las Cruces. I opposed it.

We will probably always differ on some things.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BuzzH
Lots of pure BS being spouted on this thread

Yup. I'm a member.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see nothing controversial except conspiracy theories that have no basis in facts. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but they are not entitled to make up facts.

The last time this topic went multiple pages, two posters alleged that I was someone whom I am not, and a third accused me of hiding behind a screen name. I PM'ed all three with my name and a brief description of my background. Never heard from one of them, the second one's curiosity was satisfied and I did have a thoughtful exchange of views with the third one, based on facts and figures rather than fiction and innuendo.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'll just say that any organization that claims to align itself with hunters and anglers yet push for more parks, is doing a disservice to its customers.

I can visit every national park in my state in a year, as,long as I don't spend much time in each one. We're flush on parks. What we need is someone or something to gain control of the USFS and get them to do things that make sense and cents. I've seen them spend pooptillions to close a road in some of the most often burned by forest fire areas.....to just rebuild it the next year to do it again.

We need multi use forests. I'll use the Colville for example, one of the larger national forest areas and in it lies almost no motorized access to anything not street legal. I can take my 10k lb excursion on the logging roads, but not a quad. How is this wise? The NF is 1.1 million acres and there's only two areas that ohv use is legal.

The same 1.1m acres has seen countless roads ripped out because they claim to not be able to maintain them, yet they've gone unmaintained for 20 years. Sure they're not great, but have proven to stand up to the seasons.

That 1.1m acres doesn't have enough access to bring in the snow recreation that it once did. There used to be many snowmobile systems but they too have been closed.

Now I'm sure that the group will say "that's not our target members" which I get.....but considering the CNF borders the salmo-priest wilderness just a few miles north, why are we attempting to wildernize the CNF?

I'm all for wild hunts, I have many in my life and loved them all, but at the same time it is nice to take a disabled guy and go for a ride in the woods.

If BHA was more in line with multi use of land instead of creating parks I would be all in....but as long as they intend to take that away from us during the 330 days we can't hunt I will not support them and continue to question their intentions.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When, exactly, did the sage grouse come on the radar as being threatened?

Next question. How long have these lands been cohabited by sage grouse and cattle?

The view of BHA on grazing and the Sage Grouse.

Grazing Managed to Support Sage Grouse

We request strong Plan direction to not only assess grazing plans, but provide a fully funded and scientifically defensible monitoring strategy and monitoring funding mechanism to assure habitat goals are being met.

BHA understands that livestock grazing is an established land-use practice and will continue to occur. However, state regulated grazing plans and performance must assure perpetuation, cover density, and recruitment of sage plants and their plant community. All grazing must assure adequate residual cover, and forbs and other non-grass components to favor sage grouse survival and recruitment. Special requirements are needed in riparian areas to protect habitat components because Sage Grouse use these areas disproportionately for brood rearing.

http://www.backcountryhunters.org/tags/sage_grouse

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not sure how much more needs to be done around here on riparian zones. Every drop of water has a pretty substantial buffer zone.

Perhaps other areas are not the same. We have more problems with farmers farming edge to edge here in Washington than I see in other areas.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
When, exactly, did the sage grouse come on the radar as being threatened?

Next question. How long have these lands been cohabited by sage grouse and cattle?

The view of BHA on grazing and the Sage Grouse.

Grazing Managed to Support Sage Grouse

We request strong Plan direction to not only assess grazing plans, but provide a fully funded and scientifically defensible monitoring strategy and monitoring funding mechanism to assure habitat goals are being met.

BHA understands that livestock grazing is an established land-use practice and will continue to occur. However, state regulated grazing plans and performance must assure perpetuation, cover density, and recruitment of sage plants and their plant community. All grazing must assure adequate residual cover, and forbs and other non-grass components to favor sage grouse survival and recruitment. Special requirements are needed in riparian areas to protect habitat components because Sage Grouse use these areas disproportionately for brood rearing.

http://www.backcountryhunters.org/tags/sage_grouse

A series of annual population surveys published in 2007 seemed to show sage grouse declining to historic lows. However, subsequent annual surveys performed under the auspices of the Western Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies indicated that the 2007 numbers were most likely the low point in a normal population cycle. Based on these data and new habitat restoration projects, the US Fish and Wildlife Service withdrew its listing proposal in 2015.

Nonetheless, sage grouse habitat has declined by about half since the first habitat surveys were done. The primary threats to sage grouse are fire, invasive species and energy development. Grazing is way down the list, in my opinion. Until we can get a handle on cheatgrass invasion in sage brush grasslands, things are not going to get a lot better.

There are initiatives underway to enlist ranchers and federal land permittees restore to degraded habitat to benefit both sage grouse and livestock (https://www.sagegrouseinitiative.com). This program has had the most positive impact of any that I am aware of.

Ben

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't mind giving some ground if the science is solid, and valid provenance is at hand to back it.

Far more often is the cases of bad science being twisted to fit an extreme environmental agenda.

If someone is gun shy about these things now, who can blame them? Especially given the history of these cases.

It's gotten to the point that when someone cries wolf, we all run false flags up the poles.

Divisiveness. It's not just related to democrat and republican.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't mind giving some ground if the science is solid, and valid provenance is at hand to back it.

Far more often is the cases of bad science being twisted to fit an extreme environmental agenda.

If someone is gun shy about these things now, who can blame them? Especially given the history of these cases.

It's gotten to the point that when someone cries wolf, we all run false flags up the poles.

Interesting comment I highlighted considering your previous posts on this thread...

My experience/knowledge base agrees strongly with what mudhen posted regarding sage grouse.

Last edited by pointer; 04/20/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pointer

Interesting comment I highlighted considering your previous posts on this thread...

My experience/knowledge base agrees strongly with what mudhen posted regarding sage grouse.

The knee jerk reaction is to dismiss the agenda based biased science when they start taking public land for any reason based on "saving a species".

If there actually IS a valid argument, it would be the first one of the last thousand presented that way.

Field mice, salamanders, butterflies, tortoises, wolves, grizzlies, and the list goes on and on have been pawns for liberal, radical environmental terrorist organizations that have the ultimate goal of locking down all public lands for all uses... Especially hunting, fishing and shooting. (After they rid it of ranching, logging and mining, and driving across any of it in anything but a horse.)

They may fund you and say they are on your side. And actually mean it, until the next target IS you... Nothing but another pawn.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Ah. I see what happened with my post.

It should have been typed as : It's gotten to the point that when someone cries wolf, we all see the false flags run up the poles.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No harm no foul. Though you and I differ on some aspects of land/natural resource management we really aren't that far apart. BHA, as Buzz (who's not a Ranger wink ) pointed out, does a lot of things that I find good and meritorious. You and I could quibble over the details, but I think you'd agree with a whole bunch they support.

Regarding sage grouse, they are the current version of the spotted owl for many groups. The good news is a lot of folks saw that coming and a ground up, grassroots network has been working on the issue for going on 20yrs in a lot of places. I went to my first meeting of one of these groups, hosted by a large ranch, for ranchers, in 2001. Now if we can just keep the politicians out of the way and let the biologists and managers do what they know works...

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just spent a bunch of time reading a bunch of papers written on the sage grouse. Like this one, and they make the bird sound so stupid that it can't possibly be saved from itself......much like the spotted owl. We did learn that the owl was actually quite adaptable.
http://www.thewildlifenews.com/2014/04/17/the-role-of-livestock-in-sage-grouse-decline/

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by comerade
I belong to BHA and do so cautiously but outside of this organization there are few others that want to keep our wild country wild. Within our chapter,hunting is the central obligation and I don't know that any animal rights people would dare attend a meeting. At least someone is speaking for backcountry hunters like myself.

Sounds kind of elitist to me. But, I've never been to a meeting.

Do you gather from the meeting that they support multiple use of the land?
I don't see much elitist about it . I belong to BHA and thankfully others feel the same about our incredible,unroaded lands.Boone & Crockett have a similar approach and I believe is TR was alive today he would be a part of it to. Like any group or organization ,individuals must speak up loudly for what they believe in-leaving it to others is not an option. I am a dyed in the wool conservative who believes we need some wild country to hunt ,fish etc for our soul..Cheers...Tony

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by high_country_
I just spent a bunch of time reading a bunch of papers written on the sage grouse. Like this one, and they make the bird sound so stupid that it can't possibly be saved from itself......much like the spotted owl. We did learn that the owl was actually quite adaptable.
http://www.thewildlifenews.com/2014/04/17/the-role-of-livestock-in-sage-grouse-decline/
Once I saw the author I knew which way the article would slant. He's been grinding the anti-livestock axe for a LONG time.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I hunted the south side of Fort Peck reservoir in the early 90's. We saw lots of sage grouse. That area hasn't change much if at all since then yet the sage grouse numbers are way down. That tells me it isn't a habitat issue, but a predator or disease issue.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by high_country_
Once I saw the author I knew which way the article would slant. He's been grinding the anti-livestock axe for a LONG time.
Yep. George did some work for me in the past, and he's not a bad fellow to share a campfire with. However, he is terminally biased when it comes to multiple use on federal lands, especially logging and grazing.

Last edited by mudhen; 04/20/17.

Ben

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been following BCH on FB for about a year.
All you need to know about them is just read the comments on any of their posts.
Anyone that posts anything "reasonable" gets blasted.
Nothing but a lot of tree hugging leftists that hate private land owners.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

Nothing could be further from the truth.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

Nothing could be further from the truth.

READ THEM!!
" Start arresting and fine land owners that use blocked public lands as their own to the fullest extent of the law. Because they will! One branch gets over turned. Bust their ass! You want to play ignorant. Pay for it too!"

"The land thieves don't own these lands but as has been said, they treat it as if they do own it. For the most part these are right wing political land thieves who would scream if someone cut them off from their land."

"This seems like a no brainer. ALL public land should be provided access. If landowners don't want to play ball then the government needs to claim imminent domain and just take land at a discount and make access available, simple now, no more land locked land."

"They should at least be able to let the public to hunt claim a road path under iminant domain"

"You act like that's supposed to stop me."

Just a couple of comments from the "members" about landlocked public lands.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1234, 11point, 62 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.