Campfire Outfitter
N

“Factio democratica delenda est"
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
He doesn't have a serial # to verify when it was made, but besides that it looks like the real deal and pretty mint... Price is a bit steep, but may be worth it to a collector...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My thoughts are amateur at best.

Are you asking for thoughts on legitimacy, price, or both? Just wondering, because any comment I have on legitimacy would be straight out of Rule, and I suspect you have a copy. I don't feel qualified to comment on the price.

You thinking of investment, or planning to "pop the cherry?" Seems a bit pricey to shoot, but that is a straight up money decision that is up to you.

I was never a fan of the late guns, but if you want a .300 Win Mag., it is going to be a late gun.

I am a big fan of the .300 Win. Mag. One of my "go to" rifles is a .300, but the truth is bullet placement is what really matters.

Probably a waste of electrons, but you wanted thoughts. At least I broke the ice. Nope. - BSA beat me to even that.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 04/21/17.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Legitimacy,

OP states "S/N is 5598XX The last two digits I keep to myself (and the buyer). Winchester's website indicates this to be a Model 70 61-62 build year. I found that data at page 30 of the PDF document displayed on the Winchesterguns.com website. Now either I can't read correctly or this contradicts information shown above regarding a 63 build year."

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Rifle was serialized in early Oct. 1962....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
He doesn't have a serial # to verify when it was made, but besides that it looks like the real deal and pretty mint... Price is a bit steep, but may be worth it to a collector...

I agree it's steep but I'll tell you what, as a hunter and lover of the P64, besides the 338 Alaskan I think the 300 Win Mags were pretty danged cool. I know if the serial was correct and that all matched up I'd be all over a rifle like this for 3000. I'd throw the original stock in a gun sock and put a good stock on it and hunt it. Collectors can sort my stuff out when I pass.

I wanted one I'd the 300 Wins pretty bad for awhile but found a 300 Wby that was rechambered from a 58 H&H... it suits my 300 need.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Someone just HAD to post this.

It brings back too many bad memories.....the first Pre'64 Model 70 I owned was a 300 Win Mag bought in about '97 or '98....had no idea what I had and sold it. It even had a steel 4X Weaver in Weaver mounts....paid $565 CDN for it,...still have the tag the shop had on it.
Excuse me while I go and kick my butt.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hard to articulate exactly what it is, but something about the demeanor of the seller and facts he presents about the gun scream CON-MAN to me.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
My inner voice is sending a similiar message.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't get that vibe, but I don't get a big positive vibe either.

But I think my inner voice is quiet because I'm not interested. If I was considering dropping $3500, or even a lot less, my inner voice might have something to say too!

I guess some depends on if you think the rifle was "created" or refinished.

I would need to get into Rule to be sure, but the smaller checkering patterns and the pad look right? (Experts jump in here, yes or no?) Location of the proof marks might say something. I think they went to 12 O'clock to somewhat random late in production. But I don't think this was consistent. (Nutty when you think about it. That whole location thing could have been nothing more than a new guy proofing and stamping. He didn't give a flip, or know any better, and no one was watching him. Now 55 years later we are discussing it like archeologists!)

With regard to a possibly "created" rifle, the .300 Win. Mag. barrel had to come from somewhere. The barrels changed in '64 when they were free floated, correct? So, it is probably a legit barrel. Detail of the barrel roll mark is something Rule could help with if you can get good pictures. Bluing wear due to running the bolt would be an indicator, which you can get a bit from pictures, but you really need the rifle in your hands, and even then you need some expertise as far as re-blue or touch up, in specific areas or possibly all over.

I think if it were me, I would be asking for detailed pics, and probably asking for some pics of the barrel markings out of the stock. Sound like you know your stuff (I don't know your level of expertise, so that phrase is not meant to say you don't.) Start talking about an examination period (which any reputable dealer would allow on a $3500 rifle), and maybe mention a "seasoned collector" buddy of yours. If this guy is a con, that would likely start to smoke him out.

It would be a lot easier if the seller was a trusted member here. But he isn't. Which, duh!, if you are truly interested in buying, is the reason for the original post!

Last edited by GunDoc7; 04/22/17.

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Seller must mean never fired once it left the factory!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Would need better and more detailed pics of the firearm.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Nyrifleman: The Rifle looks to be all original from what I can tell by the exceptionally POOR photos in the ad.
Sad it was stored for so long on its buttpad - that detracts some.
IF... you want a collector piece this may be a great gun - if you are interested then ask the seller SPECIFICALLY what the percentage of finish on both the metal, the bolt face and the wood ARE!
Check also to see if the original scope base screws are intact and get a written three day inspection guarantee.
Good luck if you decide to go for this one.
I won't comment on the price other than to say its higher than what I would pay or would ask for my quite similar Westerner-Alaskans if I were interested in selling them or buying another!
These are rather rare Rifles especially in this condition -IF that Rifle is worth that much money then I simply must adjust my on-line and hard copy inventories.
By the way that serial number puts date of manufacture right at/on October 1st 1962.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
I don't get that vibe, but I don't get a big positive vibe either.

But I think my inner voice is quiet because I'm not interested. If I was considering dropping $3500, or even a lot less, my inner voice might have something to say too!

I guess some depends on if you think the rifle was "created" or refinished.

I would need to get into Rule to be sure, but the smaller checkering patterns and the pad look right? (Experts jump in here, yes or no?) Location of the proof marks might say something. I think they went to 12 O'clock to somewhat random late in production. But I don't think this was consistent. (Nutty when you think about it. That whole location thing could have been nothing more than a new guy proofing and stamping. He didn't give a flip, or know any better, and no one was watching him. Now 55 years later we are discussing it like archeologists!)

With regard to a possibly "created" rifle, the .300 Win. Mag. barrel had to come from somewhere. The barrels changed in '64 when they were free floated, correct? So, it is probably a legit barrel. Detail of the barrel roll mark is something Rule could help with if you can get good pictures. Bluing wear due to running the bolt would be an indicator, which you can get a bit from pictures, but you really need the rifle in your hands, and even then you need some expertise as far as re-blue or touch up, in specific areas or possibly all over.

I think if it were me, I would be asking for detailed pics, and probably asking for some pics of the barrel markings out of the stock. Sound like you know your stuff (I don't know your level of expertise, so that phrase is not meant to say you don't.) Start talking about an examination period (which any reputable dealer would allow on a $3500 rifle), and maybe mention a "seasoned collector" buddy of yours. If this guy is a con, that would likely start to smoke him out.

It would be a lot easier if the seller was a trusted member here. But he isn't. Which, duh!, if you are truly interested in buying, is the reason for the original post!

Great post gundoc...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I need to say something here, since we are talking pre 64 300 Winchester magnums. I passed up the opportunity to own a real 300WM made in 1963. The good guy (here) that offered it to me had no idea how much it was worth. I guess he inherited it and asked if I'd be interested in buying it from him for "$500.00". I told him I'd love to buy it, but not for that price! ! ! ! ! !! I then told him what the rifle was really worth... wink

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Good for you BSA. Your honor is worth more than a few thousand dollars.

In addition, that ought to earn you some good points in the Karma ledger.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on Whitebirds .300.

Looking for shooter not a collector

Here's another

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...hester-magnum-rare-.cfm?gun_id=100840725

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

I'd rather spend that level of money on a nice non-bubba'd early to mid 50's Super Grade in another cartridge! smile

Trump Won!
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Gunner, about 20 years ago I was at a local gun show and a fellow was carrying around a super grade featherweight in 270.

He was asking $3,000 if I recall correctly.

My girlfriend at the time, who is my wife now, encouraged me to buy that rifle.

I really should listen to her more often.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Oh damn! cry

I've a good habit of listening to mine, she's really money smart ;]

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I was hoping for some answers on this one.

I have what I consider to be a collector in 300 Win Mag and it has a similar S/N. (560,XXX).

I had always accepted the "earlier action on the '63 Barrel" version of the story.

I would really like to know the truth.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on Whitebirds .300.

Looking for shooter not a collector

Here's another

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...hester-magnum-rare-.cfm?gun_id=100840725

Cliff's rifle sure was a beauty and in very good honest condition... He had a great price on it too.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Not original obviously, but tempting.

http://www.hallowellco.com/custom_winchester_model_70%20echols.htm

Tempted to send this one to Goudy with a nice stick of walnut.

Last edited by nyrifleman; 04/22/17.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gunner, about 20 years ago I was at a local gun show and a fellow was carrying around a super grade featherweight in 270.

He was asking $3,000 if I recall correctly.

My girlfriend at the time, who is my wife now, encouraged me to buy that rifle.

I really should listen to her more often.

That would be the epitome of sweetness: The rifle and the girlfriend laugh.. You did good.. The only supergrade's I'm going to find that I can afford are the one's gunner mentioned: "bubbad".. The last one I had in my hands was a beautiful little 220swift. The basic bubba'd part of the rifle was the barrel. Not sure if it's an original supergrade barrel and it was glass bedded. That part doesn't bother me as much as not knowing if it is an original sg barrel. Everything else looked great. It had an old steel tube weaver and reloading components for $1,100.00.... I should have bought the damn thing. Now I have to wait till June and hope he still has it. If so, it's going home with me.... Bubba'd or not, I'd love to have a nice shooting 220 Swift, that I can afford... laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That is a beautiful rifle. Looks to be a good price too. A full on custom by D'Arcy Echol's, with documentation. What's not to like? Well, I still don't like those Leupold 2 piece mounts that hang over the ejection port. A fine rifle like that needs some conetrol's or S/K's... Those are easy enough to change though... wink

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Agreed, those mounts need to go.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by donsm70

I have what I consider to be a collector in 300 Win Mag and it has a similar S/N. (560,XXX).

I had always accepted the "earlier action on the '63 Barrel" version of the story.

donsm70

Don, what's not to know about your rifle? The receiver was made the latter part of 1962 (Actually the end of 1962, around November). The 300WM was given the go ahead (factory authorization) in September of 1962 and not all 300WM rifles had receivers with a 1963 serial #. The first 300WM rifles were shipped in February of 1963... I'd expect to see more than a few 300WM rifles with 1962 receivers...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BSA, not to hi-jack Buddy, but were you able to see that 300 gr solid bullet strike nestled in there with those 300 gr SAF's, I gotta take a less than 1.5" two different bullets four shot group at 100 WITH a 45 degree right cross wind.

Your old 375 is a shooting sombitch Buddy. cool

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Man, I like that rifle a bunch. Looks perfect to my eyes.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
BSA, not to hi-jack Buddy, but were you able to see that 300 gr solid bullet strike nestled in there with those 300 gr SAF's, I gotta take a less than 1.5" two different bullets four shot group at 100 WITH a 45 degree right cross wind.

Gunner, seeing how yours shoots its hard to not want one of them...

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs

Gunner, seeing how yours shoots its hard to not want one of them...

10-4 Beretz, thank you my friend, I can't complain about that with those mild bc bullets in that kind of wind, bet the group would have been cut in half without the 13 mph variable winds.

A 300 gr SAF at 2600 along with a 300 gr BBW #13 solid at 2700 fps should cover the world. wink

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yep, I saw that yesterday when you texted me. However, it's very hard to see on my old outdated flip phone... laugh. Looked great to me my friend. I'm very glad you are happy with that rifle. I wouldn't have sold it to anyone if I knew it wasn't a shooter... Just how I rock and roll.....:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That's just one of the things I like about pre 64 model 70's (their excellent accuracy). Their other main attribute is their reliability: They may be old and, to some, "outdated", but damn if they are ever going to give you fits like some of the newer POS rifles out there now days... wink. Give me an old rifle like yours that I can depend on and I'm happy as hell. Give me a POS that doesn't extract half the time or the bolt handle has a tendency to fall off, or comes out of the receiver (when you don't want it to) because the bolt stop design is highly flawed and thank god the barrel has no sights on it because I'm doing a tomato stake throw to see what kind of distance I can achieve with said POS......

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
There she is in all her shooting glory, and LOL on the tomato stake guns, I couldn't begin to fathom having a rifle for dangerous game or even trouble free operation alone, a pre-64 M-70 or 98 Mauser stand alone. cool

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I get pissed when a rifle gives me fits at the range, let alone while hunting. I burn up a lot of bullets at the range, putting holes in paper sick , not just to make sure the rifle is on, but to make sure it is 100% reliable all the time. There's reason I believe in using reliable weapons. Some guys just don't get that...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I get pissed when a rifle gives me fits at the range, let alone while hunting. I burn up a lot of bullets at the range, putting holes in paper sick , not just to make sure the rifle is on, but to make sure it is 100% reliable all the time. There's reason I believe in using reliable weapons. Some guys just don't get that...

Agreed on all points, and too add, a buddy was giving me chit about 'hand running' my bullets for self defense through my semi auto pistols and AR's.

I said 'look dweeb' if you have to yank one of these guns you will up to that point have not needed anything more in your damn life.

His reply: [goofy stare] crazy

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
laugh

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I fuggin give up Brudda. crazy laugh

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha.... laugh

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I'd rather spend that level of money on a nice non-bubba'd early to mid 50's Super Grade in another cartridge! smile

I'm with you there Gunner. I just bought two safe queens that I'll turn over, a Pre64 338 that I believe to be unfired and a M42 solid rib skeet gun I know is unfired. I have no use for something I CAN'T USE and a new (or old for that matter) 300 WM is one of them.

If I remember correctly Winpoor has/had a nice 300Wm he was going to sell.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

donsm70

Don, what's not to know about your rifle? The receiver was made the latter part of 1962 (Actually the end of 1962, around November). The 300WM was given the go ahead (factory authorization) in September of 1962 and not all 300WM rifles had receivers with a 1963 serial #. The first 300WM rifles were shipped in February of 1963... I'd expect to see more than a few 300WM rifles with 1962 receivers...

Thanks BSA,

I read through all the other posts and was starting to second guess myself.

Don

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Wondering about that Echols. When you read the fine print:

Barreled action metalwork completed by D'Arcy Echols. Cold rust and fire-blue finishes, glassbedding and stock finish by Competitive & Custom Firearms, Inc. With documentation. Completed 2017 and new condition.

Based on what Echols' rifles, parts, or work command in $, even at $3800 I wonder how much Echols was involved?

I first assumed that this rifle, having been in Echols' hands, would function slick as butter on ice and drive tacks to boot. I am not so sure that was a good assumption.

Thoughts?

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Certainly not a full custom Echols.

Based on many financial interactions, it's been my experience that Morris Hallowell is a man of integrity.

I judge that rifle as well worth the asking price.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I like that 220 Swift! That's something I'd like to have one of these days.

Yeah, that 300 Win might not be a full Echols but man, it's a damned good looking hunting rifle. I'd bet a paycheck it probably shoots and functions just fine as well.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
To be fair, I never meant to imply the "Echols" wasn't worth the asking price. I did mean to point out that if you read a bit more closely it might not be the smokin' hot deal you might take it to be if you just skimmed the top.

As nyrifleman noted, "Certainly not a full custom Echols", and you might get that idea if you weren't paying good attention.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
No worries Gundoc. I understood your point.

If it were a full custom Echols the selling price would be five figures!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

I like that 220 Swift! That's something I'd like to have one of these days.

Yeah, that 300 Win might not be a full Echols but man, it's a damned good looking hunting rifle. I'd bet a paycheck it probably shoots and functions just fine as well.

I wouldn't want to bet a pay check against that statement. Or at least wait until I'm on unemployment... I might bet my 338wm would outshoot it if you wanted to bet a dollar though.. laugh wink

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That's making my rethink, WHY THE HELL I DIDN'T BUY THAT supergrade the other day!!!!!~ The SG is a much nicer rifle than that one, I don't really care about the collectability aspect of it though... cry

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

donsm70

Thanks BSA,

I read through all the other posts and was starting to second guess myself.

Don

Don, I think you did great with your purchase. You better hang on to that one. It's only going to go up in value..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
To be fair, I never meant to imply the "Echols" wasn't worth the asking price. I did mean to point out that if you read a bit more closely it might not be the smokin' hot deal you might take it to be if you just skimmed the top.

As nyrifleman noted, "Certainly not a full custom Echols", and you might get that idea if you weren't paying good attention.

I understood what you were getting at, but you have to consider how much a "full on" custom Echols sells for too: Damn near 4 times as much as this one. Current prices on a legend custom is $15,500.00, if you can believe that!!!!!.. I'm like beretzs on this one, I'd buy it and hunt it and enjoy the hell out of it and know I did pretty damn good on the deal... Also keep in mind D'Arcy builds a lot of classics and this one is a pre 64. To me, that's icing on the cake... wink

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I understood what you were getting at, but you have to consider how much a "full on" custom Echols sells for too: Damn near 4 times as much as this one. Current prices on a legend custom is $15,500.00, if you can believe that!!!!!.. I'm like beretzs on this one, I'd buy it and hunt it and enjoy the hell out of it and know I did pretty damn good on the deal... Also keep in mind D'Arcy builds a lot of classics and this one is a pre 64. To me, that's icing on the cake... wink

BSA, to be fair, before you enlighten me on Echols' pricing, to at least a small degree you contributed to what led to my composing the "read the fine print" post. Earlier in this thread, you wrote:

That is a beautiful rifle. Looks to be a good price too. A full on custom by D'Arcy Echol's, with documentation. What's not to like? Well, I still don't like those Leupold 2 piece mounts that hang over the ejection port. A fine rifle like that needs some conetrol's or S/K's... Those are easy enough to change though... wink (Bold above added by Gun Doc)

I suspect you wrote that in a bit of a hurry, but just sayin' . . . .

Last edited by GunDoc7; 04/23/17.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by GSPfan

I'm with you there Gunner. I just bought two safe queens that I'll turn over, a Pre64 338 that I believe to be unfired and a M42 solid rib skeet gun I know is unfired. I have no use for something I CAN'T USE and a new (or old for that matter) 300 WM is one of them.

LOL, yes, if I somehow managed to own a queen, I'd send that prima donna beech down the road and buy a hunt somewhere. wink

Trump Won!
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
I contacted Hallowell to purchase that Echols .300 this evening.

I waited too long frown

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I waited too long frown

cry eek That's too bad may, that would have been a damn fine rifle to add to the collection.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

BSA, to be fair, before you enlighten me on Echols' pricing, to at least a small degree you contributed to what led to my composing the "read the fine print" post. Earlier in this thread, you wrote:

That is a beautiful rifle. Looks to be a good price too. A full on custom by D'Arcy Echol's, with documentation. What's not to like? Well, I still don't like those Leupold 2 piece mounts that hang over the ejection port. A fine rifle like that needs some conetrol's or S/K's... Those are easy enough to change though... wink (Bold above added by Gun Doc)

I stand by what I said too. How much more "full on custom" do you want?.. Just sayin.. wink That rifle was WELL worth the asking price..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I stand by what I said too. How much more "full on custom" do you want?.. Just sayin.. wink That rifle was WELL worth the asking price..

BSA,

I don't believe I ever said it wasn't worth the asking price. That is something someone inferred from my posts. Please show me where I said it wasn't worth the ask.

What I was trying to point out is that there is a difference between a custom rifle Echols had something to do with and "A full on custom by D'Arcy Echol's with documentation." It's not the "full on" that is the issue. That is a vague term, but I will concede a different barrel, bottom metal, and stock, all being well known premium parts, pretty well constitutes "a full on custom." The point I was trying to get to concerned "by D'Arcy Echols with documentation." If you read the fine print, considering it states Echols didn't completely finish the rifle, it is not exactly clear what is being documented.

What's the difference? First there is the cachet of Echols' name on a rifle "completely" done in his shop. But the real difference is a rifle that appears to be one that should function flawlessly and drives tacks compared to one that is virtually guaranteed to do so. Should this rifle have issues, to whom do you turn? I'm not sure it is D'Arcy Echols.

So, those differences and, as you and nyrifleman have noted, apparently about ten to twelve thousand dollars.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 04/25/17.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I waited too long frown

I think similar things have happened to every one of us! And thinking about it usually doesn't help much, because you can now imagine it was perfect, even if it wasn't and you never discovered that fact. Hopefully, something else as good or better will come along.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by GSPfan

LOL, yes, if I somehow managed to own a queen, I'd send that prima donna beech down the road and buy a hunt somewhere. wink

Ha! Safe Queen! I'll hunt all of them. Let the kids sort out how much I depreciated them.

Semper Fi
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
[/quote]Hopefully, something else as good or better will come along. [/quote]

One always does!

Last edited by nyrifleman; 04/25/17.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (Anaconda, 308ld, 35, BamBam, AnthonyB, 9 invisible), 1,887 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,740
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.