Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Once again, USPS has showed how efficient they are.

This isn't life-or-death, but it just irks me.

Sunday, I ordered a product from Midway and they sent me an email stating it was ready for shipment, that afternoon. I knew it wouldn't get mailed until Monday, but that's ok. Estimated arrival Friday. Seemed like a long time for a shell holder to get here, but again ok. Gotta fudge a little to make sure it gets there 'on time'.

It arrived in Shreveport (35 miles from me) yesterday (Wednesday). Hey great, it will be in the mail today... wrong! Just got thru checking and the estimated delivery is now Saturday.

The Epitome of Efficiency! frown

Rant over.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
have it shipped ups then.

Camp is where you make it.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Nice whine!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Timely subject.

I bought a gun from a member of another board and he shipped it from Fla to Minneapolis FFL.
It took 15 days, just got it today.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am hoping perhaps by year 3 Trump gets around to privatizing the PO....maybe then they will figure out you don't send all the window tellers on lunch break together at noon, just when all the customers are lining up on their lunch hour....

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
have it shipped ups then.

To ensure it takes at least ten days, unless of course one wants to pay double. In that scenario, as inefficient as I agree the postal service is, one would then be better paying for priority mail. There's only one service worse and as, if not more, expensive as/than UPS and that is FedEx.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 04/27/17.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When they privatize the Post Office, stamps will go to a buck and a half at least and customer service won't get any better.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dale06
Timely subject.

I bought a gun from a member of another board and he shipped it from Fla to Minneapolis FFL. It took 15 days, just got it today.

Shipped a rifle I sold to a fellow campfire member via usps (heavily padded!) from MD to OR on 14 April with an expected delivery 21 April and it arrived at his FFL on 19 April. 6 Days with standard ground shipping.

I guess there is just no telling.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the "if it fits it ships" boxes. But.. I just ordered some grips from a source in Tampa. They went from Tampa to Opa Locka, back to Tampa, and then the tracking info said "invalid tracking number". grin

You just can't make this stuff up.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
When they privatize the Post Office, stamps will go to a buck and a half at least and customer service won't get any better.

Yep. People don't seem to realize how good the PO does 99% of the time

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It seems that they don't even try to be efficient, rather the exact opposite. My pet peeve is those who show up with packages totally unprepared to ship. The clerks help these dolts pack (using P.O. supplys) while the line of those waiting stretches out the door. Why can't customers like that be required to step to the back of the line while preparing their packages?

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I mail and get mail. Never a problem, guess I'm lucky, So far

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I mail a check to my bank in Deming, which is 80 miles away, three business days is about the fastest that it will get there. It has to go to El Paso, TX, first. If I mail a check to our bank in Lordsburg (35 miles away), same deal. First class mail from Douglas, Arizona, 70 miles away takes 4-5 days to get here. USPS routing sucks.

However, just about everything from Cabelas or Midway arrives a day or two before their declared delivery date--sometimes even sooner. Go figure.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
In Jackson, if someone comes to the counter without the package being ready to go (minus postage that is) they are asked to step aside while they finish the packing job. I have no idea why any post office branch wouldn't do the same.

Stupidity is expensive
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If I were to try and mail a letter from one side of Jackson to the other, it has to go to Salt Lake City first, then come back. It's all about decisions that were made when fuel was a whole lot cheaper. Inertia keeps it going.

Stupidity is expensive
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Certifiable

Totally agree with the pricing of a privatized post office.

The problem with a 99% "good" rate, however, is when you understand the post office handles 154.2 billion pieces of mail per year according to 2016 data. At a 1% problem rate, that means 1.542 BILLION mishandled pieces of mail each year. Divide that number by the population of the U.S. and it is instantly clear why you hear a lot of bitchin' about USPS.

Life - and the good sense to live it!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Yep. True that.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LONEOAK

Totally agree with the pricing of a privatized post office.

The problem with a 99% "good" rate, however, is when you understand the post office handles 154.2 billion pieces of mail per year according to 2016 data. At a 1% problem rate, that means 1.542 BILLION mishandled pieces of mail each year. Divide that number by the population of the U.S. and it is instantly clear why you hear a lot of bitchin' about USPS.

I retired from USPS as a rural mail carrier. I will be the first to admit that there are problems, which is why I was glad to get out. But, for every "bad" employee, there are thousands more who actually do a good job, without any recognition. Actually, the Post Office is "privatized" to a certain degree, as it get's no federal funding. Yet, it has to pay into the feds for employee benefits, such as retirement. It is also mandated by Congress as to how much to charge for stamps, and also barred from closing small offices that probably need to be closed. I get pretty good service here as far as the time it takes to receive packages.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
To be clear, I am not knocking the USPS. The logistics of moving that many packages and letters, etc. is staggering and the prices they charge are reasonable for what you receive. I have had some issues like most I people I know, but only one instance had serious consequences.

That said, perhaps a 1% failure rate shouldn't be the goal as 1.5 billion "bads" should be improved on. I have no idea what the actual problem rate is - I was only taking the number used by a previous poster. It does show that sooner or later you will have a problem if you continue to use USPS. Simply the odds and the price of doing business. Alternative providers aren't doing any better from the post I see in this forum.

Life - and the good sense to live it!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I agree. I like the USPO over them all. I've been paying my bills via the mail for 40+ years. Never had a problem with the check getting there on time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (35, 10Glocks, arky65, afisher, Aviator, AnthonyB, 11 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,600
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.