-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I worked for a family utility company while in school and was as low on the totem pole as you can get. My brother and I did everything from cutting riteofway to wiring houses until we were old enough to climb poles. Actually they just added that to our job description. We got dirty. I made the comment to my father that it was embarrassing to get that dirty and sweaty and have to go into someones house to repair their phone. His comment stuck with me. He said no amount of sweat or dirt is embarrassing if you got covered in it honestly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brazos
I'd be too embarrassed to stand in a welfare line if there were any alternatives.

Anything else is negotiable.

^^^ This
I have had a lot of really bad jobs in my life. As long as I earned my money legally I slept well at night (after a good shower).

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I would hate to be a damn plumber

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When I was 18 and first hired, I went to the Men's Room and found my (somewhat elderly) boss
with his jacket off and his shirt sleeves rolled up, standing over a bucket with a mop in his hands.

Shocked! I asked him what he was doing? He said, "I can understand some one having an accident and not making it to the stall."
And with almost sadness he said, 'But I can't understand how anyone could just go and leave their mess (crap) for someone else?"

I said to my boss, "Let me clean this up." - but, My boss said "No, I can do it, and You have your work to do!"
That was important to him too.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Traffic cop.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
adult entertainment manager

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wouldn't say embarrassed, not about the work itself, but ... I don't do well with public speaking. It is "embarrassing" in a way. I wouldn't make a good politician or teacher from that standpoint.

So far as sanitary work, cleaning restrooms or picking up trash, I reckon so long as I didn't have to wear a jacket that said "INMATE" on the back, I wouldn't be all that embarrassed.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

True story....

Back in the mid 1990's, I brought a bunch of customers up from Huntsville, Alabama to NYC. This is when Chrysler Electronics still had their assembly plant there. They had never seen the "Big City", so I rented a limo, and after dinner at Smith and Wollensky's, they wanted to go to the sex shops on 42nd Street. We went into a place called Sex World, which was place filled with small rooms, the size of a old phone booth. You sat in the chair, you put a quarter in the slot, a window would open, and you would see a live sex show going on. 25 cents bought you about 2 minutes of viewing time, so you'd sit there and pump in the coins. Of course, many guys "relieved themselves", and, upon departure from the room, a guy with a mop and bucket went in after you to clean up the mess. I don't know what the job description was for that, but "bio-hazard technician" comes to mind.

- Rogue
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
bull semen catcher

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've been perusing the local jobs boards recently. The adult book store is looking for a janitor. I do believe I'd have to pass on that gig.

Other than that, sweat, dirt, smell, grease, etc don't bother me and I'd do whatever I had to in order to stay out of the welfare line.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RogueHunter

True story....

Back in the mid 1990's, I brought a bunch of customers up from Huntsville, Alabama to NYC. This is when Chrysler Electronics still had their assembly plant there. They had never seen the "Big City", so I rented a limo, and after dinner at Smith and Wollensky's, they wanted to go to the sex shops on 42nd Street. We went into a place called Sex World, which was place filled with small rooms, the size of a old phone booth. You sat in the chair, you put a quarter in the slot, a window would open, and you would see a live sex show going on. 25 cents bought you about 2 minutes of viewing time, so you'd sit there and pump in the coins. Of course, many guys "relieved themselves", and, upon departure from the room, a guy with a mop and bucket went in after you to clean up the mess. I don't know what the job description was for that, but "bio-hazard technician" comes to mind.

Lol. I was gonna put mop boy at a jack shack.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Railroad.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

- Rogue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never knew we were poor, growing up. I thought every kid learned drywall, electrical, plumbing, painting, masonry...(ect) before thier teen years. I grew up in construction.
I had a LOT of crappy jobs stripping out kitchens with bugs, maggots, grease, soot from burned buildings. It all pays the same, and it is all honest sweat.

One thing I will never do again....one summer , I had 5 part time jobs. I was sleeping maybe 3hrs a night. I was working every hour I could get, and it was grinding me into bits. I paid off a lots of bills, but I will never stretch myself that thin again.
Wife can no longer work due to medical issues, so it is all on me. That much stress again would be foolish.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Vintner.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Politician

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by hanco
I would hate to be a damn plumber

Sissy wink
[Linked Image]

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by RogueHunter

That woman has skills.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Honey wagon driver cleaning portable outhouses, especially around lunch time.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 72 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,228
Posts18,485,631
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.