-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had to think about this, and how it applies to friends, relatives.... My dad's guns, I would pick up, but not get out of a cabinet. Anyone else, ask.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Firearms in a rack outside the gun counter yes I will pick them up. Anywhere else including the range I ask. And 99% of the time if I am at the range all it takes is a simple comment like "nice_______," and the owner usually asks if I want to shoot it. Simple etiquette really.

Ah ha! So you're one of those pests that bother people at the range with friendly greetings and complimentary observations about their firearms. smile

I have this one friend that whenever I see him at the range I just ask him what he has bought lately. I have test fired 3 or 4 Ruger semi autos a bunch of revolvers and 3 or 4 rifles. It's like a free test drive.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you can't bother asking, then just keep your hands off. Not a hard rule to remember but some people just about need to have it shoved down their throat.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm off to range safety officer duty this morning.

Even as RSOs, we don't touch a shooter's firearm without asking permission, unless it's an emergency.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by 1minute
Might try the direct approach by informing the person that it's your rifle. Comments on his character might not be well received and will not convey the desired message.

That's probably the best way.....but we're going to have to revoke your man-card for having the gun shop mount your scope. wink

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd say you were more than decent about it. I don't pick up any gun that doesn't belong to me at a gunshop or otherwise unless it is sitting out on top of a case clearly marked FOR SALE, and even then I would ask if it's ok to check it out.

The gun was sitting in a gun case. To me, that screams it's someone's personal gun. In my mind, anyone picking that one up could potentially expect at least one walnut appearing on the side of their head.

And.. I've seen people in gun shops pick up FOR SALE guns and drop them.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I bet he'll touch a stranger's Harley too.

Cast

I have a short attention spa
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
While I heartily agree with the hands-off approach, I fear that the much larger question that needs to be addressed is whether or not the perpetrator had removed his hat/cap prior to this whole episode taking place.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Who the hell takes their their rifle to a gun shop to have a scope mounted?

Did you have them sight it in, too?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While I heartily agree with the hands-off approach, I fear that the much larger question that needs to be addressed is whether or not the perpetrator had removed his hat/cap prior to this whole episode taking place.

made me spit coffee!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So funny answers, but I like Joe's the best... RoadRunner65s...

All I can add to this thread, is if you hate that kind of person... avoid any gunshop in Grants Pass Oregon...

Those type of idiots are a dime a dozen here....

all too often, at our local range...

you turn on the light, leave your bolt open, go down range to check or change your targets, turn around to come back, and some yoyo is fiddling with your rifle...

add that to no one is supposed to be touching their own firearm while someone is down range... kinda like rule number one at our range...

and then these clowns get all pissy, if you say anything to them about it...

half the time they are from California... but the other half the time, they are the local nimrods...

and if they aren't playing with your firearm, they will be standing there and fondling your ammo...

doesn't happen "all the time" but way more often than it should be occurring...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deerstalker

made me spit coffee!

TFF.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
SEM Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thank you for giving THOSE Californians a place to live cant stand them here either, I think a closed box of rattle snake eggs that says caution do not open may be a funny treat for them, well maybe me

if you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Seafire

you turn on the light, leave your bolt open, go down range to check or change your targets, turn around to come back, and some yoyo is fiddling with your rifle...

That would make me homicidal.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The local gun shop has some rifles on a rack out where you can look at them.

Anything on the counter is: 1; being looked at by someone else, 2; being sold to the shop, or 3; just not put back yet.

So 1; it almost belongs to someone else. 2; it does belong to someone else. 3; it is courteous and prudent to ask the shop to handle, they usually want to size me up and check the chamber again.

I do indeed admire displayed items, and sometimes comment on them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Excuse me, but that is my rifle."

He likely would have apologized.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire
So funny answers, but I like Joe's the best... RoadRunner65s...

All I can add to this thread, is if you hate that kind of person... avoid any gunshop in Grants Pass Oregon...

Those type of idiots are a dime a dozen here....

all too often, at our local range...

add that to no one is supposed to be touching their own firearm while someone is down range... kinda like rule number one at our range...

and then these clowns get all pissy, if you say anything to them about it...

half the time they are from California... but the other half the time, they are the local nimrods...

and if they aren't playing with your firearm, they will be standing there and fondling your ammo...

doesn't happen "all the time" but way more often than it should be occurring...

The RO would need to call for an ambulance for whoever did that w/my gear.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 280shooter
"Excuse me, but that is my rifle."

He likely would have apologized.

Maybe.

I suspect he'd just keep finger blasting it.

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kennyd

Anything on the counter is: 1; being looked at by someone else, 2; being sold to the shop, or 3; just not put back yet.

So 1; it almost belongs to someone else. 2; it does belong to someone else. 3; it is courteous and prudent to ask the shop to handle, they usually want to size me up and check the chamber again.

Exactly.

Dave

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Answer to the OP's question; No. Never. I do not touch anyone else's firearm without asking.

Even if a firearm is in a rack "outside" the gun counter I would still ask the attendant for permission to handle it.

There are some simple protocols that should never be over-stepped.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,085
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.