Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Do you prep bro?

Might wanna check your bushcraft if you do.

Maybe even your fieldcraft too...

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In a nut shell the bushcraft craze is an attempt by urbanites to be able to take a walk in a park without hurting themselves. I don't look at it as a bad thing, we all had to learn somehow and most of us had fathers and family that showed us. I did not have a single outdoors person in my family to teach me anything so I learned the hard way and the urbanites of today are probably much the same. I started out learning when I was about ten but today's bushcrafters are trying to learn as adults.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bushcraft could be strip club in Alaska.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
My bug-out bag is full of bushcraft.

How I roll bro...

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Did you get your axe all fixed up Scott?

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
"Bushcraft" is the same concept as "street smarts," only for the outdoors rather than the city.

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Oh yeah, all fixed up. I've got more planned. Have you used the safety wedges before? The round ones.

I also learned another new word, batoning.

It's amazing what someone can do with a knife in 45 minutes that I can do with an axe in 30 seconds.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It's amazing what someone can do with a knife in 45 minutes that I can do with an axe in 30 seconds.

TFF

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have it on good authority Woodie has a thing for the Bier Madchens.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Two German girls I follow on YouTube that are BushCrafters. One of them is an absolute expert with a slingshot. That one also served a term in the military. If you're interested I can send you a link.

Yeah, but can they carry 4 full Bier deckels in in each hand???

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
next thing ya know, they'll have you whittling your own silverware and starting fires without matches.....

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Pashooter
I have it on good authority Woodie has a thing for the Bier Madchens.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Two German girls I follow on YouTube that are BushCrafters. One of them is an absolute expert with a slingshot. That one also served a term in the military. If you're interested I can send you a link.

Yeah, but can they carry 4 full Bier deckels in in each hand???

Bushy and otherwise!

😜

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Oh yeah, all fixed up. I've got more planned. Have you used the safety wedges before? The round ones.

I also learned another new word, batoning.

I don't use anything but wood wedges. My reasoning, right or maybe wrong, is I don't want anything to cut across the grain in the direction of the most force. I cut the slot for the wedge until it is around 2/3 the way through the eye of the head add Swell-Lock and set the wedge. Saw of the excess and call it done.

Swel-Lok

Batoning works if you don't have an axe, I just always have and axe. wink Even my wife can make kindling with a full sized double bit axe. I think I can make tinder with a pocket knife and start a fire with out a match, lighter or a gallon of gasoline even in the wet Pac NW. I have been doing it for years.

Have you watch this? It is the best I have seen concerning axe restoration and hanging.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
To heck with grinding an ax. Show us how to get tinder and start a fire without a match.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have you used the safety wedges before? The round ones.

Hard to find around here, few know what they are.

I've been using them for a growing collection restored, re-hafted blacksmithing hammers,...all sizes

....they are SUPERB , and a WAY better setup than all the old conventional types,...

Been making up my own on the lathe, out of old bits of seamless hydraulic tubing.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chit most of knew when we were 12. At least if we wanted to go go hunting we have prove we could deal with basics like starting a fire in pouring rain, basic shelter, using a compass, navigation, sharpen a knife, field dressing.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
All the "bushcraft" videos I've seen inevitably end up with some hipster trying to see if he can destroy a $200 knife trying to use it as an axe or splitting maul.

As for axes, my brother just cleaned up an old Collins (pre-Mexico) and made a nice boy's axe for my son.

Speaking of axes, any of you used one of these?? It's the shiznit for splitting... (oh, and the handle won't come loose)

http://www.gerbergear.com/Cutting-Tools/Axes/Splitting-Axe-II_31-002658

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by fburgtx

Speaking of axes, any of you used one of these?? It's the shiznit for splitting... (oh, and the handle won't come loose)

http://www.gerbergear.com/Cutting-Tools/Axes/Splitting-Axe-II_31-002658

No I haven't but I am old fashioned and like a wooden handle. I usually make my own from ash or hickory if I can find a good piece at the hardwood store. I also make my handles much thinner that the clubs you see in stores. Thinner handles have spring and are easier to use but you have to have good straight grain and it has to be going in the right direction. I do most of my wood splitting with a double bit.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jaguartx
To heck with grinding an ax. Show us how to get tinder and start a fire without a match.
Flint and steel, ferro rod, there are lots of ways. I have even made a bow and drill but my wife swiped my drill.

Nothing wrong with using a match if you know how to go about starting a fire without one. I practice a lot using other methods because I find it fun. Was camping in a park last year. Wife and I had a nice little fire going. The campers behind us were trying to start a fire with a weed burner and not getting it done. even with gas. I split some kindling from one of his pieces of wood, made a little tinder from one of the kindling sticks and started his fire with a blast match.

Blast Match This is the only fire starter I know that will work one handed.

Last edited by Scott F; 04/29/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
In my younger years, inspected many, many bushes.

You might say I was an expert in bushcraft. smile
Did you do free of charge breast exams too?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It's the modern word that is a substitute for the word woodcraft which is a better word. Yuppies use it and the rest of use are kinda forced to so people will know what we are talking about. Also another way to get a premium price for something. Bushcraft and tactical are two words that people have taken a huge [bleep] on.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1936M71, 12344mag, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,686
Posts18,475,107
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.